Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Brought home a 2332 I got from my brother last week.

Pulling it down to go over a few things and have found a few small issues... latest of which is... the intakes don't appear to be correct for the heads.

Any idea what I might have here ?

Brother tells me they are CNC heads from CB about 4 years ago.
Thinks they are these... but is unsure:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1544.htm

I assume the intakes were bought at the same time... but they look grossly mismatched to the heads... and the gaskets barely seal at some places.

This is the closest intake I could find by eyeballing CB's site...

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3173.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Both look cnc’d. CB heads are marked under valve covers I believe. Look like wrong manifolds. Gaskets match manifolds so they are wavy from bigger heads. Either match port those to heads or get correct ones.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

those heads appear to be either wedge ports or ultra wedge ports, not street eliminators

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/cncwedgeports.htm

yes, the intake manifolds are grossly mismatched to the heads. They appear to be CNC as well, but someone ordered the wrong manifolds somehow. You may be able to order the previous generation matching manifolds from CB as I am sure they still have the CNC file in their database for that intake.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Both look cnc’d. CB heads are marked under valve covers I believe. Look like wrong manifolds. Gaskets match manifolds so they are wavy from bigger heads. Either match port those to heads or get correct ones.

It has the "CB 044" logo cast into the head under the valve cover, but nothing else visible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
those heads appear to be either wedge ports or ultra wedge ports, not street eliminators

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/cncwedgeports.htm

yes, the intake manifolds are grossly mismatched to the heads. They appear to be CNC as well, but someone ordered the wrong manifolds somehow. You may be able to order the previous generation matching manifolds from CB as I am sure they still have the CNC file in their database for that intake.

Just fired off an email to CB, hoping they can dig up old sales records to ID the heads.
Maybe they can match a pair of intakes accordingly.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Swapped a few texts with my brother and hes pretty sure these are the heads:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1409.htm

And should accept these intakes:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3166.htm
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

heres a picture of the old version ultra wedgies, which is what yours appear to be. The port is not quite the same shape as the new version, so I wouldn't buy those manifolds right off the website, call CB and ask if they have the old CNC file.

Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
heres a picture of the old version ultra wedgies, which is what yours appear to be. The port is not quite the same shape as the new version, so I wouldn't buy those manifolds right off the website, call CB and ask if they have the old CNC file.

Thanks for that...

I have an email in to CB... so I'll wait to see if I get a response.
I attached a pic for them to reference, and also my brother's name so they could pull the sales record if available.

Definitely want to get the correct manifolds on it... so I won't order anything cookie-cutter off the website. Very Happy
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Got a little more info on the build...

The original purchase was a complete 2332 scat engine kit.
Before the build was done, the scat heads were sold and replaced with these bigger CB heads... but the intakes were never upgraded... hence the mismatch.

The carbs are Weber IDF 44's
Cam is a scat C95 with 1.5 rockers = .624 lift. (wow)

I will need taller valve covers also... since these have 2 gaskets under them for rocker clearence.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Well... three emails later and stll not a peep from CB.

I guess I will have to do it the old-fashion way and pick up the phone to call them. Laughing
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

The what?
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Been swapping emails with Marieanne at CB Performance.

I'm still confused about what manifolds I need to buy to keep the same linkage and still fit under the hood neatly.

She did confirm that I have the Ultra Wedgeport heads...but wants to sell me a welded up set of offset intakes.

Will the "Big Beef" intakes not fit a stock bug chassis ?

Right now everything fits nicely, but the intakes are still horribly mismatched ports.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

The Big Beef manifolds can be fit to that engine. But it will take a little cutting of the engine compartment sheet metal where the air filters will hit the sides.
I tried a set on an engine and had that problem. I chose to use the offset manifolds. Like you have in the image that you posted.

Regarding your carb linkage setup. In current configuration. With offset manifolds. You don't need the little spacer rods that are connected to the throttle shafts.
It makes your carb linkage non-symetrical< not sure that is a word!
You want the linkage to drop straight down from the hex bar to the throttle plates. The drop rods should angle forward. When the drop rods are viewed from the side of the car looking across the engine. They should be at the same angle.
The way that linkage and drop rods are installed. The left carb drop rod is likely at a different angle when compared to the right carb drop rod.
Like this,

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

like mentioned above, you need offset manifolds if you want to retain your existing linkage/filter bases.

big beefs are a better design (more performance) but you'll need to rework your linkage.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

If you guys think the big beef manifolds will fit... then ill just order those as long as its just minor trimming involved.

I really didnt want to spend $400 on welded manifolds that wont perform as well as the $300 Big Beefs.

The linkage came with the engine as is... so I appreciate the advice on proper setup.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

this is what you'll be up against most likely. the filter base will hit the engine bay flange, and the filter top my interfere with the decklid when fully closed.

they are also much larger at the base (hence the room for porting) so you will need to modify your cylinder tin. some material can be removed from the manifold to help with fitment.

this is the type of offset linkage you will need

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6485.htm

or get berg cross bar linkage like seen on the engine above.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
this is what you'll be up against most likely. the filter base will hit the engine bay flange, and the filter top my interfere with the decklid when fully closed.

~snip

they are also much larger at the base (hence the room for porting) so you will need to modify your cylinder tin. some material can be removed from the manifold to help with fitment.

~snip

this is the type of offset linkage you will need

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6485.htm

or get berg cross bar linkage like seen on the engine above.

Not sure how I missed this post... but I appreciate all the detail and apologize for not responding.

Your post helps make my decision.
It looks like the big beef manifolds will put the carbs and air cleaners way too high... and with an already wider 2332, it just wont fit under the decklid.

Right now, mismatched ports and all... the offset manifolds fit nicely under the decklid without standoffs or major trimming.

I think I will just have CB do a set of welded/CNC'd offset manifolds like I have already.

I'm trying to keep the car as stock appearing as possible.

We actually got it out to a local cruise night tonight and had a blast... as it was the only bug on the lot.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

*edit* just saw in another of your posts that yes, this is the exhaust you have and that you got a 2" merged header. 2" is very large Shocked

are you using this exhaust (or similar)?

not to add any more work for you, but if so, your 2332 could definitely benefit from a better exhaust. What goes in must come out, and a true merged 4-1 system will perform much better.

if you already have a merged exhaust, disregard this post!

something like this if you want it to appear stock

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

sled wrote:
*edit* just saw in another of your posts that yes, this is the exhaust you have and that you got a 2" merged header. 2" is very large Shocked

are you using this exhaust (or similar)?

not to add any more work for you, but if so, your 2332 could definitely benefit from a better exhaust. What goes in must come out, and a true merged 4-1 system will perform much better.

if you already have a merged exhaust, disregard this post!

something like this if you want it to appear stock

I have this a-1 exhaust here for acustomer car, wound up using the single tip muffler.........

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with cylinder head ID and matching intakes... Reply with quote

Its hard to determine from pics, but the old manifolds look to be mini wedge. Heads are old style wedge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: