Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Westy Canvas Install Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Hey all,

Greetings from NorCal. Hoping to get the sage advice of those who have installed a staple-in canvas. I've watched the videos and totally get them.. no problem. My question is how does one know how much canvas to fold over the tack strip? I hope I'm being clear. I'm using a new tack strip and it's about 1/4 inch wider than the original. I get that it has to fold over to make a clean install but I fear that if I fold over too much, it will be too tight; fold over not enough and it will be a bit loose. I have not seen this addressed in the videos or instructions, only "place the tent and tack strip in the same position - which I get but that still doesn't address how much to fold over. Should I just match the width of the new tack strip? The old tack strip is 3/4" and the new one from BD is 1". My gut says to match the new tack strip width (no more than that) and butt it up against the top, then staple it all in. Am I overthinking this? Will the canvas (BD budget canvas) stretch gently enough and eventually relax enough?

Thanks for the read,
Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Are you doing this with the top installed on the bus?, if so screw down the lower edge and hold the canvas up in position with no strips, you could even pop in the odd staple to hold it up while you fit it. Once you are happy draw around the edge of the wood on the canvas with dressmakers chalk and use that mark later when you add the tack strip (or measure back and make a mark for the strip location), the odd vertical reference mark would help too so it doesn't get twisted in the hole afterwards.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Take a good look at this. Plastic strip is pushed all the way down and towards the top. The canvas is stapled about 3/4 or so way up the plastic strip. I wanted the stapes to go through the seam for the most part and that’s where it worked best and was just like the originalwhen I took it off. Tension was perfect.
Edit, they are the original plastic strips on mine so measure accordingly.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

It really isn’t a whole lot to remove the pop top completely off the bus. Remove the tent aluminum tracking along the body which holds down the tent, remove the bolts holding the pop top, and you can remove it from the bus.

I took my time removing the original tent, making notes of lengths and orientation of original seams and characteristics.
I placed the pop top down on the grass upside down (interior portion facing up) and cleaned the top really well.
After letting things dry, I inverted the replacement tent (german product) and began in the corners for the proper seams and stapled along the top. Once I had the tent completely attached to the pop top, I had help and transferred the top back onto the bus, reattached the hinges, and began reattaching the tent to the bus.
It looked GREAT. Perfect, tight, no wrinkles. Every time I popped the top, I was pleased. Especially when I see all these baggy, loose fitting pop top tents at shows.
Take your time, it’ll look great.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input. I left the top on only because it was pouring most of the weekend. Turned out looking great! There were a couple times when I thought, "man, I f'd this all up". But I figured the canvas would stretch a bit so I cut a small piece of new tack strip to measure the "foldover" of the canvas and just lined it up cleanly to where it was even with the bottom of the tack strip and did that all the way around. Once the tent was initially tacked up with staples about every 6", the tack strip went right on, butted up against the fiberglass top, and the canvas hung down nicely after reattaching the rear lift supports and opening the top. So far, so good! I then found the bottom centers (as I did the top) and started with the front (short side) and got the front, middle clamp in. Then the same at the rear. Then I took a curved side, lined it up where it would normally attach along the side, then pushed it up into and against the beading in the front corner, then clamped it along the side of the body with a plastic clamp so it wouldnt move and continued working my way from the middle outward. Once the front (curved part) of the side rails were attached at the rounded corner, it made the side lengths of the canvas stretch into place perfectly. Then just did that 3 more times, again, working from the center, outward. When all was said and done it came out pretty darn good. Even fit, looks good, not too loose, inside and outside look very cleanly installed, tight enough on all sides to sound like a "drum", if you will when you tap it and minimal, if any wrinkles. I figure it looks about as good as others I've seen so I'll give it a 9 out of 10. I was concerned that the sides may have been a bit too tight but the top opened fine and the tension seems fine. Plus it should relax a bit over time, right? I can see a slight indentation from the roof supports so I might figure out something to cushion that part so it won't wear into the canvas but I guess that's to be expected to some degree. Anyway, thanks again for all the input!

Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Here it is finished.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Pop top looks to be in good condition, no need to remove it completely to replace the tent.

Nice work, looks good.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Don’t forget the fringe.... you can pick some up at any fabric store. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Thanks Sambo, appreciate that.

So... I've seen the "fringe" - what is it actually for? Keeping water away from.... ?
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Actually, just found out why - 2 reasons, apparently. 1, to hide where the fiberglass meets the wood and 2, to make rain drip from the fringe rather than stream down the side. Funny how effective the Search tool is Laughing .
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Actually, just found out why - 2 reasons, apparently. 1, to hide where the fiberglass meets the wood and 2, to make rain drip from the fringe rather than stream down the side. Funny how effective the Search tool is Laughing .

That sounds about right, I think it helps for both reasons. I do know that once you go fringe, it looks naked without it. Laughing
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Looks great, hope mine turns out that good. Nice work!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yea, it does look naked. A buddy of mine suggested trying to find "sugar skull" fringe - you know the "Dia de Las Muertas" skulls? I really like that idea.

So although the tent opens fine it seems a little bit too tight in the rear, bottom (tall) corners... just a bit because the rounded hinge part of the roof support is visible from the outside and it looks pretty tight... I'm afraid that, over time, it will wear a hole into the canvas. I was thinking of either A) removing all rear screws to the corners and try pulling the canvas from the center outward to see if that relieves it a bit, then clamping or B) just glue a small "fold over" leather piece to the roof support so that when the top is up, we can just fold this leather between the canvas and the metal upon which it rubs.

Any ideas, there? I'm just not sure that it will relax enough over time and I'd hate to rub a hole in our new tent.

Thanks.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Hello, What???
A picture is worth a thousand words...
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Here's a picture from last summer with about 4.5 years of use on it. I think the supports look the same as yours. We use it I think quite a bit in all weather. No signs of rub thru from the supports yet.
However, when closing it, I grab the sides and pull them inward so the front of the tent doesn't get caught in the hinges. I have put a small hole in it this way before.
I also have another Westy with 10 years of intermittent use and no wear on that canvas either.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Yup - that's exactly what I mean. Angus, if you blow up his pic, see how you can see the hinged, folding part of the roof support indentation through the canvas? That's what I meant.. sorry for no pics but it's been raining alot here and I just got back from a long day on the road. Any way, thanks 71WW. I mean, it's not like it constantly rubs, it's just a little tight when opened. Not terribly worried about it but just thought I'd mention it. Otherwise, I'm happy with it. Thanks for all the help, fellas.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

They all push on the canvas a little there, I've seen plenty of marks on the canvas from rubbing, but very few actual holes, you'd have to leave the top up in a windstorm for months to rub through. Far more holes elsewhere from pinching when stowing it, as 71WW says carefully arrange the canvas as it folds, I support the roof with my head and push outwards at the corners as I crouch to give it an even accordian fold on the way down.

If you'll sleep better the leather flap or some sort of cloth or plastic would reduce the rubbage, even some sticky backed foam weatherstrip would work.

The "Dia de Las Muertas" lace fringe sounds cool!, do it!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NVkent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

MikeyM73 wrote:
Hey all,

Greetings from NorCal. Hoping to get the sage advice of those who have installed a staple-in canvas. I've watched the videos and totally get them.. no problem. My question is how does one know how much canvas to fold over the tack strip? I hope I'm being clear. I'm using a new tack strip and it's about 1/4 inch wider than the original. I get that it has to fold over to make a clean install but I fear that if I fold over too much, it will be too tight; fold over not enough and it will be a bit loose. I have not seen this addressed in the videos or instructions, only "place the tent and tack strip in the same position - which I get but that still doesn't address how much to fold over. Should I just match the width of the new tack strip? The old tack strip is 3/4" and the new one from BD is 1". My gut says to match the new tack strip width (no more than that) and butt it up against the top, then staple it all in. Am I overthinking this? Will the canvas (BD budget canvas) stretch gently enough and eventually relax enough?

Thanks for the read,
Mikey

Hey Mikey...
I'm getting ready to re-do my canvas also. The Previous Owner put a new one in...inside out. So I am going to flip it correct side out. I'm waiting to until my new hinges come in before I pull the top off. What types of new tack strips did you use? The ones on mine, that he re-used are the original and look like they should be replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Kent
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Westy Canvas Install Question Reply with quote

Whaddup Kent. I used the one from Bus Depot. Not bad.. it's about 14 bucks and comes with way more than you need. No issues installing it with my standard staple gun but I did have to tap them in more / use channel locks to squeeze them in more because the only staples I had were 9/16". I think if you us 1/2" (or just a better staple gun) they'll probably seat all the way on the first try. If not, not a big deal to open the channel locks enough to fit around the wood and gently squeeze them in, the rest of the way - which wasn't much, at all. Less than 1/8 of an inch.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Mikey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: