Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 356 B - under hood air valves
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just asking a newbie question here. Under the hood next to the hinges there are two air valve boxes with screens and a cable for activation. What exactly are these called and can they be removed from the car? Reason I ask is that I will be removing my fuel tank for cleaning and new fuel lines and see that the air box on the right side is very close to the plate that holds the tank neck.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

They can be removed. I wish I could remember exactly how to get them out but it's been a while. I'm pretty sure that there are some small sheet metal screws holding them in.

I believe I have a set that was removed from a B car at the shop. I'll take some photos if I can find them and post back up.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

Thanks Bulli.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

The pic is laying on it's side. Car is on a rack.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Removed

6mm nut way up in the wheel well and usually buried under the body schutz. Hard to see but it's right in the middle of this picture.

Good luck!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

Tank can be removed with plate and valve in place. Helps to put a wood dowel in the filler neck to help maneuver. Two person job. Do remove the fuel tap.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 62 356 B - under hood air valves Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone. I got it all done solo. Not easy but leaned how to do it better the next time. This car is a 62 so it has the bottom mounted fuel sender. Why Porsche did this...I don't know. All dry with no leaks now. So happy I did it. Also replaced fuel valve and all fuel lines/hoses at the same time. Can't wait to drive it.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: