Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Butte Creek near Chico, CA. Rivers in the State are all running high now. Good remote camping spot right on the river. This was the first real excusion we have undertaken with this van. No issues.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Went up to Moraine Park in RMNP fly fishing and snacking. Had a blast and got some nice brown trout.

Those pics of Cali have me wanting to go looks like you hit a prefect time and weather Igeo.

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My homeboy and I had a one-night shakedown camp. It was wet and cold, but he was a trooper. The van gave a flawless performance.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Memories in the making Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Said goodbye to a guest of sorts. A neighbor's grown son fell on hard times and found himself between jobs and apartments and needed a place to crash so we offered him the use of our parked Westy. We popped the top and provided shore power but he was pretty much on his own for three weeks. The guy seems like he has some challenges and will be moving to California to be near siblings but we feel like we helped him out a little.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Nice...good on you... <3<3<3

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

heck I didn't even do that for my brother and he has his own westy Embarassed
campism wrote:
Said goodbye to a guest of sorts. A neighbor's grown son fell on hard times and found himself between jobs and apartments and needed a place to crash so we offered him the use of our parked Westy. We popped the top and provided shore power but he was pretty much on his own for three weeks. The guy seems like he has some challenges and will be moving to California to be near siblings but we feel like we helped him out a little.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I have had students have to do that at the school I work for a few times when family had to move so the students could finish school. Sometimes we just have to do the right thing. John
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Not so much my van but my ko2 decided to commit suicide in a violent way. I picked up the van from FAS after its conversion and started making my way to Les to get a new tent installed in Quebec.

I was close to maxing out my tow capacity when I towed it to FAS with my toureg so i decided to empty it out of all my tools and jacks. So an easy fix turned into a 2.5 hr wait from CCA. More my fault due to language barrier but nonetheless I am really glad our AAA is honored over here in Canada. There seems to be no other damage from the blow out. Still tracks fine. No vibration other than the new diesel. Shocks and trailing arms got a nice melted rubber coating as well.

One thing I can say. I was on a smooth highway and it was out of nowhere. No debris on the road. The road was clear but had there been someone next to me it would had been messy. The rear end swung out really badly. Took me maybe 150 meters to decelerate to a cushy shoulder. It got dark quickly though but I was glad for have the rear bench to decompress. I have a burnt rubber tire and wheel in my van right now stinking it up that I need to investigate tomorrow.

The tread ripped off like an onion peel. I have had ko2s on a jku Rubicon and a 2dr xj and they performed great. They have incredible sidewalls. The clks have 0 curb rash on the rim edge. The sidewalls were so thick I think they acted as a weird run flat. I may be able true the wheel and wrap it in a new tire.

I have to check tomorrow what happened to the tire. I have tire insurance from discount tires so I'm not worried about that. But if there is no puncture or anything else noticeable I need to compare the date codes and any other production codes to make sure the rest of my tires are good by contacting bfg if they care. This isnt the first time I saw this happened to ko2s. I think I have seen it twice before over the past 3 or 4 years in the jeep community.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Shocked

- Dave

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That's not mere tread separation. Looks like the belt area of the carcass (including tread) separated completely from both sidewalls. Never seen or heard of that.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I have NO idea what happened. I drove a longer distance on the matching spare I have so I have no idea. I really am curious what would cause it. I will take some more pictures later.
Cobra88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

From the picture i would say it went flat then sidewalls overheated then failed
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Cobra88 wrote:

I just got home so I will take a look at the spare to look for punctures or anything more telling.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Cobra88 wrote:

I just got home so I will take a look at the spare to look for punctures or anything more telling.

Yikes on the tire!

Now let's talk about the new motor!!! And was there also a Syncro conversion?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Lol. Its originally a syncro. Just got the FAS conversion done, decoupler, front diff lock, and aux tank. Then I drove to les ateliers pk to get a new tent installed by pierre and boris. 1 year waitlist complete.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:

Well, no good deed goes unpunished, they say. Our guest was something of a slob but at least he wasn't a smoker. And he evidently did not trust the screens to keep bugs out so the van reeks of insect repellent. And the ants he complained about were probably well fed during his tenure. I went to start the van for a wake-up and airing out drive and discovered a dead battery. Very dead. It's been on the trickle charger for two days with not much improvement, so a trip to the FLAPS in the minivan might be in the offing. We told him the only shore power was from the receptacle he had his table lamp plugged into, but he must have used some lights or fan that sapped the battery. Oh, well. We hope California fares better during his visit.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That is tough to hear. There is no need to waste another second of thought on him. The life he lives is his own choosing. You will get a blessing for your good deeds.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Because it's the start of the spring camping season, I was all excited - finally got my instrument cluster in with the new tach AND all the gauges working...coolant in and bled...almost have the interior cabinetry done...looking forward to a bit of road testing and a fishing trip and she was running great....

Then this morning my ABA dropped a valve. There is no emoticon for how sad that made me. Tearing the head off it now - I ran completely out of bad words and by now have worked my way down to 'fudge' and 'dang-nabbit'. I am running four of these engines in various cars and have NEVER had this issue with the 2.0; failed right on startup, not even at high revs or anything. Just no compression in cylinder 3 and the *BANG BANG* of the piston blacksmithing the valve.

Very sad - hope you guys don't catch ALL the fish before I can get it repaired.

EDIT - Compression:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Well, sh!t... Sorry for your troubles.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 62 of 89

Jump to: