Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet my Holy Grail!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

@Mark Evans Thanks! There's definitely some History with the car. I'm not entirely sure what happened yet but I've got the name of the original owner and I'm hoping she'll be willing to talk about the car.

The car has a replacement door which may or may not be part of that rivet's history. The door was a Yukon Yellow '67 vert door. How they found a '67 vert door to begin with is impressive.

@Volkswagnut Is it still stored? pics?

@swharris I actually posted in the "'67 registry thread" before here but didn't post full photos as I wasn't sure if I was able to yet. I'll update it with the important info soon. I've also read the '67 only parts thread multiple times and have it as a main bookmark Smile

@Herrbern Can this Chrome molding be transferred to a new top?

My friend told me the previous owner said he has 2 NOS '67 convertible tops somewhere amongst his collection Shocked I'm hoping and praying they turn up but I'm not holding my breath.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
@Mark Evans Thanks! There's definitely some History with the car. I'm not entirely sure what happened yet but I've got the name of the original owner and I'm hoping she'll be willing to talk about the car.

The car has a replacement door which may or may not be part of that rivet's history. The door was a Yukon Yellow '67 vert door. How they found a '67 vert door to begin with is impressive.

@Volkswagnut Is it still stored? pics?

@swharris I actually posted in the "'67 registry thread" before here but didn't post full photos as I wasn't sure if I was able to yet. I'll update it with the important info soon. I've also read the '67 only parts thread multiple times and have it as a main bookmark Smile

@Herrbern Can this Chrome molding be transferred to a new top?

My friend told me the previous owner said he has 2 NOS '67 convertible tops somewhere amongst his collection Shocked I'm hoping and praying they turn up but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, if you are careful, you can use that molding without any problems. Just do not bend it. I replaced my top in 1988, got that strip of the car and lost mine. I bought a replacement one from the classified 10 years ago.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
@Volkswagnut : are you sure this is not the nailed version that was discontinued ? Because my car has the U channel and the chrome molding that is an other version than the nailed one. And the car always had that. What I am sure of is that none of 68 verts have that molding.

Am I 100 % sure.. no.. I wasnt even alive in 67.. Laughing

From my understanding the upper and lower chrome were discontinued when the U channel was added to the body on the 67 model year.

Yes.. sorry I meant the nailed heavy chrome.

I think the trim was changed to an aluminum anodized version after the U lip was introduced ???

How are the 67 early 68 non nailed strip attached?
Seems like vaguely in my mind on one 67 I owned.. it has screws at the ends ??

In my research I have found information that indicates a change in part number for the molding at the U lip introduction VIN.

Molding rear support.
#151 871 431 to VIN 157 250 032
#151 871 431A from VIN 157 250 033 to VIN 158 469 660

It also indicated it lasted into 1968 production .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jos.Hall wrote:
@Volkswagnut Is it still stored? pics? .

In my gallery.. granted.. its nothing to look at compared to yours.. Wink
When I first found my 61 .. I was 16.. decided not to purchase (low on funds)... and later that week changed my mind.. but it had sold.. 10 years later, I see it zip by the shop I worked at.. It had been lowered (slammed actually) but still looked the same color wise (distinctive). About 5 years later it pulled into GM dealer I was then working at.. It was our office managers son and he had owned it since the day after I originally spotted it.
After a few years of coaxing.. I made the deal .. along with two truck loads of parts. Its damn solid. Stored for my last one I "do".

I actually had a 67 Convertible at one time.. .... I rescued from the crusher and made a nice driver for 3 years .. sold it.. then bought it back after 16 years... only to part it out for 3 times what I paid to get it back. Wink

Understand your passion.

Not hijack intended..

Carry on with this dandy find.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Congradulations on your new car.
I to recently acquired a sedan 67, all OG. And am in the process of giving a 56 kab. Much needed "love".
Can I offer you some advise that I could of used.
1. Go to Amazon, and purchase "Gods oil" Kryoil. The best thing for a rust invested VW.
The stuff is great..and it works.
2. Go about this slow and methodological, while the kryoil works its wonder.
3. Remember to ask before you jump into it, for example I had to purchase 2 new tops,and both were wrong, so spend the xtra $ and have a knowledgeable top guy do the new top.
On my 56 I had it custom made@ same cost of premade top.
4. Are you going to need to support the body when you seperate from the frame.

Do not be afraid to ask ?'s there is a lot of knowledge on THESAMBA.
5. Buy quality material when you go to rebuild
And save $$$$ these things cost .
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Herrbern wrote:
@Volkswagnut : are you sure this is not the nailed version that was discontinued ? Because my car has the U channel and the chrome molding that is an other version than the nailed one. And the car always had that. What I am sure of is that none of 68 verts have that molding.

Am I 100 % sure.. no.. I wasnt even alive in 67.. Laughing

From my understanding the upper and lower chrome were discontinued when the U channel was added to the body on the 67 model year.

Yes.. sorry I meant the nailed heavy chrome.

I think the trim was changed to an aluminum anodized version after the U lip was introduced ???

How are the 67 early 68 non nailed strip attached?
Seems like vaguely in my mind on one 67 I owned.. it has screws at the ends ??

In my research I have found information that indicates a change in part number for the molding at the U lip introduction VIN.

Molding rear support.
#151 871 431 to VIN 157 250 032
#151 871 431A from VIN 157 250 033 to VIN 158 469 660

It also indicated it lasted into 1968 production .

Jos.Hall wrote:
@Volkswagnut Is it still stored? pics? .

In my gallery.. granted.. its nothing to look at compared to yours.. Wink
When I first found my 61 .. I was 16.. decided not to purchase (low on funds)... and later that week changed my mind.. but it had sold.. 10 years later, I see it zip by the shop I worked at.. It had been lowered (slammed actually) but still looked the same color wise (distinctive). About 5 years later it pulled into GM dealer I was then working at.. It was our office managers son and he had owned it since the day after I originally spotted it.
After a few years of coaxing.. I made the deal .. along with two truck loads of parts. Its damn solid. Stored for my last one I "do".

I actually had a 67 Convertible at one time.. .... I rescued from the crusher and made a nice driver for 3 years .. sold it.. then bought it back after 16 years... only to part it out for 3 times what I paid to get it back. Wink

Understand your passion.

Not hijack intended..

Carry on with this dandy find.

Well, this is what I found this evening in my documentation. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, as I had not enough time to properly scan the pages of my official VW book. But as seen on the pictures, the chrome strip for U channel verts exists and you even can see how it is fixed to the car. Like mentioned before, I have never seen a 68 with this molding and I suspect VW only equipped a few of 67 verts with this chrome strip for U channels. Like mine, on the pictures of the L41 vert you see that the strip is very narrow compared to the older chrome strips that were nailed in wood.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Herrbern .. great information. My manual covers 60-65.

So its simply pressed into the gab into place and secured with screws at the ends.. Makes perfect sense now. Pretty much what i remember on my only 67 convertible ... sans the between the screws part because it was basically falling apart. .. Confused

I actually got a severe blood infection tearing it down when the top cable splintered through my glove into my hand.. The next morning my left hand was three times its size.....and today I now still can find polar north.. Laughing

Thanks for the clarification. Learning in kool. Cool

I bet that sucker is NOT reproduced or ever will be either.

So whats out there is out there.. but can be faked too. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvw57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding your dream VW! I too am a 67 Bug aficionado and have owned many. I currently have two, a ruby red and lotus white sedan. Black ones are my favorites. A while back I too had factory black convertible that needed to be put back together as it was a theft recovery. I ended up selling it. I had too many projects at the time. I still regret selling it to this day. The guy who brought it did a beautiful high quality restoration, but he painted it Yukon yellow. I was crushed. He finished the car, takes it to shows and loves it. It is a beautiful car, even in yellow. If I still had it, it would probably still be a work in progress, so maybe it’s better off.
Good luck in fixing yours up, keep plugging away at it no matter how long it takes and never sell it. You will regret it if you do.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Nice find. And you know its value is going to improve dramatically once it becomes a "California Car". Wink

LOVE me some Weegie! Laughing

The cigarette lighter is a very cool and somewhat rare accessory!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

@Volkswagnut and @Herrbern - Great reference photos for the convertible tops! are those from the Bentley? Of all the VWs I've had over the years the only Bentley I have is for oval windows so I need to find an original shop manual for this one.

@aa390392 Good advice.
1. I've heard some great things about Kryoil. If you've never heard of ProjectFarm on youtube you should see some of his videos. Here's a great one on penetrating oils. I'd like to see how the Kryoil does up against gibbs.

2. I'm in no rush to get the car done. I believe I will be taking delivery at either OCTO or Prado and then will bring it home and give it it's first bath in about 15 years. I'm in love with this car and think others would enjoy it too so I may take my time and make some videos with the car as I bring it back to driver status.

3. I've made my fair share of shotty mistakes with VWs in the past. I'm aiming to go with NOS, WW or Original parts where I can with this one. All of the above cost much more than chinese parts so it will take a little longer and I'll have to sell more of my stash but it will be worth it.

4. As for supporting the body when I seperate the frame, I'll definitely need to. It's one thing to take the gamble and not support a sedan when you pull the body but the entire convertible body is kept straight by the rails so I'll most likely have to come up with a way to brace the body without welding anything to it. (I'd like to preserve the original paint where possible and resist welding on the body if at all possible)

5. refer to 3. I've heard a story that when people would complain to Gene Berg about the price of his parts he'd tell them Buy Once Cry Once and when they came back to him because they broke the cheap part hed tell them told ya so. (I'm not sure of the validity of that but it definitely has general truth to it)

Because the car isn't here and I don't have a way to take new photos I've been hesitant to post them all at once. Here's a couple more generic photos of when my friend hauled it away. Smile

PS I'm looking for a vent window if you guys know of anyone that has one.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Hope that roof dosent fly apart on its long trip. Embarassed

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
@Volkswagnut and @Herrbern - Great reference photos for the convertible tops! are those from the Bentley? Of all the VWs I've had over the years the only Bentley I have is for oval windows so I need to find an original shop manual for this one.

@aa390392 Good advice.
1. I've heard some great things about Kryoil. If you've never heard of ProjectFarm on youtube you should see some of his videos. Here's a great one on penetrating oils. I'd like to see how the Kryoil does up against gibbs.

2. I'm in no rush to get the car done. I believe I will be taking delivery at either OCTO or Prado and then will bring it home and give it it's first bath in about 15 years. I'm in love with this car and think others would enjoy it too so I may take my time and make some videos with the car as I bring it back to driver status.

3. I've made my fair share of shotty mistakes with VWs in the past. I'm aiming to go with NOS, WW or Original parts where I can with this one. All of the above cost much more than chinese parts so it will take a little longer and I'll have to sell more of my stash but it will be worth it.

4. As for supporting the body when I seperate the frame, I'll definitely need to. It's one thing to take the gamble and not support a sedan when you pull the body but the entire convertible body is kept straight by the rails so I'll most likely have to come up with a way to brace the body without welding anything to it. (I'd like to preserve the original paint where possible and resist welding on the body if at all possible)

5. refer to 3. I've heard a story that when people would complain to Gene Berg about the price of his parts he'd tell them Buy Once Cry Once and when they came back to him because they broke the cheap part hed tell them told ya so. (I'm not sure of the validity of that but it definitely has general truth to it)

Because the car isn't here and I don't have a way to take new photos I've been hesitant to post them all at once. Here's a couple more generic photos of when my friend hauled it away. Smile

PS I'm looking for a vent window if you guys know of anyone that has one.

The documentation is coming from the the Robert Bentley’s full workshop manual edition.

This manual goes beyond 1965 as it covers the 1967 bugs and Ghia’s. Interesting for the exact measurements when restoring the top of a convertible or for bodywork. There is also a section about the disc brakes.
Like your car, my car had the original top on it until 1988. The vinyl was shot and needed replacement because it had become hard. I haven’t been able to find that original vinyl since.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Hi Jos.Hall,
How was the trip to get the car home ? Has the top resisted the trip ?
Do you have some new photos of the car to share with us?
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
Hi Jos.Hall,

Thanks Herrbern! Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the car to be shipped out here. It's been about the longest month of my life.

A friend of the friend who brokered the car for me is coming out for So Cal VW week at the end of the month so when he comes cross country from Atlanta he's going to bring the car with him. I'm interested to see the condition of the top when it arrives. I already know its tattered, I'm just hoping and praying that the trim pieces are good. I'll be ordering a top from Chuck's if the previous owner isn't able to find his NOS Factory ones that he had for it.

As for pictures I don't have any more yet Sad I'll be coming up with my plan of attack soon for it though and will try to get some more updates coming.
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Herrbern wrote:
Hi Jos.Hall,

Thanks Herrbern! Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the car to be shipped out here. It's been about the longest month of my life.

A friend of the friend who brokered the car for me is coming out for So Cal VW week at the end of the month so when he comes cross country from Atlanta he's going to bring the car with him. I'm interested to see the condition of the top when it arrives. I already know its tattered, I'm just hoping and praying that the trim pieces are good. I'll be ordering a top from Chuck's if the previous owner isn't able to find his NOS Factory ones that he had for it.

As for pictures I don't have any more yet Sad I'll be coming up with my plan of attack soon for it though and will try to get some more updates coming.

Hi Jos.hall,
I have seen new pictures of your car under gallery. Finally, you received it ...
Even if the top is in bad condition, the rest of the car seems to be good. 👍🏻
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Herbern, thanks for the follow up! I apologize and promise that I’m the not too distant future this thread will continue. When it arrived almost 2 weeks ago I was completely head over heels and just gave it a quick pressure wash to get the big stuff off but I still haven’t given it a real bath. I put it in the garage and haven’t really touched it since but I do smile every time I go into the garage Smile

Last week was so cal vw week and I was busy selling and hanging with friends, and I’m currently in the middle of a kitchen Reno as well as new floors (which I’m trying to tackle myself) and to top it all off I missed 4 days of work this week due to pneumonia. None the less, I hope to be working on it within the month.

In the mean time feel free to ask me for pictures. I’m willing to take pictures both for documentation as well as sheer curiosity. I’ve also got a lot of questions as I begin to buy parts. I want to do this restoration correctly and would prefer to get the right items.

Thanks

Jos
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

I hate it when you type a really long post and then accidentally close your browser window only to find out you deleted it all Evil or Very Mad

Anyways, in short, I don’t have a lot of time right now to work on the car but I do enjoy taking photos of nuances and details.
One such detail is the tail lights. I have one taillight that is a known replacement and the other is original. I had always thought that 62-67s had the same taillights. I mean they are virtually the same but how about this detail?
“SAE STDB 66”

Never before had I noticed that! I mean it’s understandable that with all the regulations that were coming into play in 66/67 that they would have to add specification standards onto the lenses.

So now I’m only the hunt for these lenses. NOS or super close and I’ll be willing to pay up. Why not just go with normal 62-66 lenses? I don’t know... it’s the minute nuances that I enjoy. My car may never be a top show car but i’ll always have things like brown cap blue coils, sb12 rings, blue painted condensers (with yellow wires may I add) on my 019 screamer, etc. that will get me excited.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Yup, looking at your 67's rust brought back memories of my road salt damaged 69' bug.

1) Get a tetanus shot. Wink
2) A couple of spools of welding wire
3) Source original VW donor panels vs. using the crappy aftermarket metal. Ask me how I know.
4) Lubricate your wallet. It will be opening a lot in the near future.
5) Get good with your time management. You'll need it to put the 100's of hours into that restoration (unless you pay someone else and then see #4 again).

Focus on the end game, you driving it with a big smile on your face when you're done.

Good advice but ... I wish that were true for all of us!
I’m driving mine with a big smile on my face, but it’s far from done; I’m not sure if it’ll ever truly be “done” ... or maybe I just don’t have that much patience ... I submit my evidence.
Looking at that (crappy cell phone) picture again, I realize that I still haven’t installed my Cobra 40 channel CB & whip antenna!

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Digging around the car the other day I was able to safely pry open the glove box Smile What did I find but a bunch of original paperwork, receipts, and manuals Laughing Obviously I want to find out as much as I can about the cars origins as possible so these receipts gave me a couple of the important clues I was looking for. 1. Who was the original dealer? It appears the car was originally sold at Hassan Motors in Cincinnati. I'd love to find an original Hassan plate frame but I don't believe they ever had them made. Later on they did but that was in the plastic frame era. So at this point an original Chick iverson, bob smith or Cotton Goff frame out of my collection will go on it Smile 2. What radio was original to the car? A sapphire V. I mean I guess I could assume that but with several options available in '67 it's nice to have confirmation.

While poking around I did take a few more pictures I thought I'd share. Nothing amazing or revelating but nonetheless cool.

TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^
Very Cool Dancing
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Very cool. All that original paper work added a significant amount of $$$$ to the total value of the car. This is a collectors piece and that stuff means a lot to collectors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: