Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 European Standard, what was OG
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

seibert66 wrote:
I would be interested to know from a historical point of view if there's any information about how the process of importing a standard (or deluxe) to the US in 1966 was handled. American laws of the time were enforcing the use of hazard flash lights and reinforced bumpers for all the 1966 models being brought in by American owners. Therefore, a standard '66 bug had to be modified...how would that happen? Was the bug sent back to the VW plant in Germany for the required modifications before being shipped overseas? Or would it arrived to the US untouched to be then modified by the local VW dealerships?

In my case I've owned my car for 51 years but I knew the original owner. My car was ordered out of Aero VW in Inglewood Ca. on some kind of order your car in the states and pick it up at the factory and drive it around Europe and drive back to the factory have it serviced at the factory and they ship it home for you.
My car is a 1965 Type 111 "A" Sedan, 1200Custom. 1200Customs had bumper over riders to begin with-if so ordered and all Canadian 1200 Customs had bumper over riders , also technically European cars or U.S. did not have to comply with emission equipment until 1967, however VW put crankcase devises on in the early 60's for the U.S. but my car has the road draft system. The factory did change the headlight spec. on my car, but forgot to use the all red rear tail lamps. The factory also installed the wrong windshield. So when my car got shipped back to the port of Los Angeles it got stuck in U.S. Customs and VW's port facility had to change the amber turn/red tail/brake lamps to all red, and replace the front windshield to U.S. spec. safety glass. Fortunately for me the owner was able to keep (except the windshield) the parts that were taken off and gave them to me.

Most people don't realize that just in 1965 VW was making the Standard model ( now called the "A" Sedan, the "A" Sedan ragtop sunroof, The "A" Sedan 1200 Custom, the "A" Sedan ragtop sunroof, The Deluxe Sedan, the Deluxe steel sliding sunroof, and the deluxe convertible. Who knows all the variations for all the other countries!
seibert66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Thank you, very useful information...I don't have a standard, but I think the same happened to my '66 as far as tail-lights...they left the euro spec lenses on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

I don't know that they sent the car back to the factory. This is the 4th gray market car that I have had. The other 3 were Type 34s. With the exception of one of my T34s, all the cars were euro equipped. Amber turn signals, KPH speedos, etc. The one T34 that wasn't that way was ordered with the K options, that is Canada North America. Red turn signals, mph speedo, Karmann badges on the wings instead of city lights.

I can't speak to other beetles, the one has the amber turn signals and kph speedo. The original bumpers were replaced at some point, so I can't speak to that.

TR

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Did 68 Euro standards use 67 style decklid and apron or the later 68 style (or the earlier 66 style)?

And, what about the outside door handles?

Thanks!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
classiccult Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Yes that is correct: made without "tarboard" on floor pans.

sjbartnik wrote:
Helfen wrote:

http://ruylclassics.nl/ClassicCars/vw-1200-spar-kafer-oktober-1965/?taal=EN

There are two things on the car that are incorrect.
1. the drivers outside mirror should be painted L328 steel gray.
2. The steering wheel is a Type 111 "1200 Custom" model type instead of the three spoke type.

In addition to Helfen's notes, I was surprised to note that the car in the link appears to not have the "tarboard" sound deadener material on the floor pans. Did standards not have this material or is that indicative that maybe that car has had some work done?

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

classiccult wrote:

sjbartnik wrote:
Helfen wrote:

2. The steering wheel is a Type 111 "1200 Custom" model type instead of the three spoke type.

In addition to Helfen's notes, I was surprised to note that the car in the link appears to not have the "tarboard" sound deadener material on the floor pans. Did standards not have this material or is that indicative that maybe that car has had some work done?

My 65 111 does not have and did not come with tar boards. Do you know those insulators that are stuffed and sewn together in a triangle shape that goes up into the "C" pillars from the engine compartment ends to suppress engine noise? My 111 doesn't have those either. My 111 also doesn't have insulation underneath the rear window down to the body floor, and as you know 111 1200 "A" including the 1200 Custom model only have a 3/4 headliner. Driving around in these cars is just about as noisy as a 1938 beetle.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

My 65 standard ragtop with that hole in the roof is even noisier than a "normal" 38 Laughing

question: does the 65 std ragtop have the folding ragtop handle or the older version? and what about the finishing? mine has the folding handle from golde in chrome. i am sure it's the original... the ragtop mechanism appears not to have been removed from the car in its lifetime.. but i thought they were painted not chrome?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Yes I know these "sewn triangle that goes up into the C pillars". My 1959 Export Beetle has these but my 65 Standard does not have luxury like that. I did over 100.000k with my Standard and I am used to that sound Very Happy

I do not know about ragtop handle. VW sold already sunroof in 65 and so the ragtop handle is possible the same as sold the years before 65.

Helfen wrote:
classiccult wrote:

sjbartnik wrote:
Helfen wrote:

My 65 111 does not have and did not come with tar boards. Do you know those insulators that are stuffed and sewn together in a triangle shape that goes up into the "C" pillars from the engine compartment ends to suppress engine noise? My 111 doesn't have those either. My 111 also doesn't have insulation underneath the rear window down to the body floor, and as you know 111 1200 "A" including the 1200 Custom model only have a 3/4 headliner. Driving around in these cars is just about as noisy as a 1938 beetle.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

I have seen a few Standard Beetles without the 3-spoke steering wheel. It was possible to order a different steering wheel for 110 Deutsche Mark, see Gute Fahrt Magazine pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Helfen wrote:
eurodub wrote:
Hey guys, i'll just leave this link here Smile
How many of you have seen a REAL 908KM 1200A? full of pics and details.

Thanks for that post and it points out quite nicely that 1966 is the first year in the standard model ( 1200A ) for the 40hp engine instead of a 36hp fresh air, seat tracks used for the first time instead of the floor stud, claw and wing nut.
2. The steering wheel is a Type 111 "1200 Custom" model type instead of the three spoke type. VW started using the 1956-1959 deluxe steering wheels on 1200 Custom models in 1961. See this on page 3 of this thread topic for pictures of my 65 type 111 "A" Sedan 1200 Custom.

VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

I found another advertisement for the 1200A model.

Additional equipment available.

1. Folding ragtop.
2. Chrom trim, two-spoke steering wheel.

Steering wheel number 113415651A. Looking to the parts catalog ...

M01: model 111

The steering wheel has a small modification. There are two threaded holes for self canceling ring.

And this is how it looks in my car:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

classiccult wrote:
I have seen a few Standard Beetles without the 3-spoke steering wheel. It was possible to order a different steering wheel for 110 Deutsche Mark, see Gute Fahrt Magazine pic:

Helfen wrote:
eurodub wrote:
Hey guys, i'll just leave this link here Smile
How many of you have seen a REAL 908KM 1200A? full of pics and details.

Thanks for that post and it points out quite nicely that 1966 is the first year in the standard model ( 1200A ) for the 40hp engine instead of a 36hp fresh air, seat tracks used for the first time instead of the floor stud, claw and wing nut.
2. The steering wheel is a Type 111 "1200 Custom" model type instead of the three spoke type. VW started using the 1956-1959 deluxe steering wheels on 1200 Custom models in 1961. See this on page 3 of this thread topic for pictures of my 65 type 111 "A" Sedan 1200 Custom.

I'm sure the factory could be accommodating. My 65 111 "A" 1200 custom and not being the Canadian version was ordered and picked up at the factory with Towel rack bumpers, and U.S. spec. headlamps. Unfortunately the original owner ( who I knew) forgot to order a MPH speedo, U.S. spec. windshield, and all red rear taillamp assys. So when the car finally got here after a tour of Europe it got stuck in U.S. Customs to have those things changed. Fortunately Customs let the owner keep the original parts except the windshield and I put them back on the car.
Just a special note. the 111 "A" and the 111 "A" 1200 Customs that were equipped with the chrome towel rack bumpers are easily be recognized quickly because the lower bumper brackets are the same as the painted Euro style and chrome Euro style brackets such as they are the two piece bracket instead of the deluxe three piece reinforced bracket. Also the brackets are painted in L-326 steel gray just like the "A's" painted bumper, in and outer door handles Boot handle and deck lid handle. Bumper brackets on a deluxe are L-91 silver gray.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

VW_RaF wrote:
I found another advertisement for the 1200A model.

Additional equipment available.

1. Folding ragtop.
2. Chrom trim, two-spoke steering wheel.

Steering wheel number 113415651A. Looking to the parts catalog ...

M01: model 111

The steering wheel has a small modification. There are two threaded holes for self canceling ring.

And this is how it looks in my car:

Your car appears to have a deluxe vent wing and channel. The "A" sedan and the 1200"A" Custom cars have those parts painted in the body color.
See page 3 of my 65 111 "A" 1200 Custom and my friends 66 115 "A" ragtop sunroof.
VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Your car appears to have a deluxe vent wing and channel. The "A" sedan and the 1200"A" Custom cars have those parts painted in the body color.
See page 3 of my 65 111 "A" 1200 Custom and my friends 66 115 "A" ragtop sunroof.

You are absolutely right. The car is not finished yet Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

VW_RaF wrote:
Helfen wrote:

You are absolutely right. The car is not finished yet Wink

Seablue is one of the best, isn't it?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Did 68 Euro standards use 67 style decklid and apron or the later 68 style (or the earlier 66 style)?

Thanks!

I found these pics on the internet. They seem to confirm that the 1968 1200a used 1967 decklid plus 1968 door handles.

1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
bnam wrote:

Thanks!

I found these pics on the internet. They seem to confirm that the 1968 1200a used 1967 decklid plus 1968 door handles.

And older style tail lamps
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
My 65 standard ragtop with that hole in the roof is even noisier than a "normal" 38 Laughing

question: does the 65 std ragtop have the folding ragtop handle or the older version? and what about the finishing? mine has the folding handle from golde in chrome. i am sure it's the original... the ragtop mechanism appears not to have been removed from the car in its lifetime.. but i thought they were painted not chrome?

My 65 also has the golde in chrome.

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

Looks like 1969 1200s (I read somewhere that 1200a terminology was dropped after 1968 as Deluxe 1200s were not offered after that) also used 1967 decklids and were largely similar to 68s. One change I noticed is the speedo. The 68 uses the early 60s style speedo, while the 69 uses a newer style speedo but without fuel gauge.

Pics from internet

1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

This option m110 seems to indicate that Canadian Customs were based on Typ 111 until 68 and Typ 113 after that.

1952 Citroen TA 11BL
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 European Standard, what was OG Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
bnam wrote:

Thanks!

Do you know what the part is 1/3 of the way down the front door edge?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: