Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I remove the air filter platform and strap?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

As the title states I’d like to remove these pieces. I will be installing an aftermarket engine and don’t need them. I will of course keep these pieces and the original engine should anyone, including myself, like to go back to stock. In the meantime, how should I remove these? They don’t look like normal spot welds. I do have limited welding skills to do any patching, etc.

Thanks,
Matt
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

Once removed by any method, there will be holes to fill and ripples to smooth.
I removed the one on my car during the full “restoration” in ‘94. Popped it off with an air chisel and did the fill and grind. A buddy of mine ground his off with a 4” right angle grinder. His holes were smaller, so we did the fill and grind.
Luckily, you don’t need any real skill. You just need a mig welder and a grinder and some determination.
Oh, and maybe some Bondo, some high build primer, various grits of sandpaper and some finish paint and clear.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

It seems I neglected to include the photo I intended to include in the original post. (see below)

Quote:
I removed the one on my car during the full “restoration” in ‘94. Popped it off with an air chisel and did the fill and grind. A buddy of mine ground his off with a 4” right angle grinder. His holes were smaller, so we did the fill and grind.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So pop it off with air chisel or grind it... no need to drill out spot welds? I can do that. But I will destroy the items? I'll try to be careful of course...

Thanks,
Matt
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

I drilled mine thru from underneath and then re-attached with stainless hardware. If I ever get the big motor built I can remove them and install plugs of some kind, and also re-attach if stock engine.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

Now that’s using the old noggin! Idea

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

Or replace the entire section.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Or replace the entire section.

Seems like a lot of work simply to cover a few holes that are easily welded up and ground flat ...... ^^^^^

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove the air filter platform and strap? Reply with quote

Removing the bracket?

Drill, baby... Drill!

bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: