Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

I just saw that Mark at Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder has retired.

I knew this day was coming, but it's still tough to imagine that it's here and he's moved on.

It's a real loss to the community, Mark was a true craftsman and will be greatly missed.
You didn't want to waste his time, particularly when his lifts were backed up.
Yet, Mark always seemed to have a moment to help folks out with a supportive word and his massive VW/Audi knowledge.

I knew if I needed that obscure gasket right NOW, Mark would have three of them somewhere on his parts shelves.
I remember him patiently helping my son sort out a cam timing issue on the hot-rod Audi 200 20vtq wagon he was rebuilding.
Or that time I was on a tight deadline for a massive proposal and my stick shift broke off at the base driving into work.
I limped in shifting with a pair of vice grips, but Mark had me all fixed up by the end of the day.
And, of course, Mark was the source of the Westy I have now: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8750870#8750870

It looks like Mark has turned the business over to: https://indianpeaksauto.net/welcome/

Godspeed Mark, enjoy all those beautiful sunsets and your cool new garage up on your mountain and having the freedom and time now to work on your own projects, rather than all of your customer's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sanchius on Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

He was kind enough to squeeze us in to fit a kill switch one day.

Thanks, Mark.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

The inexorable entropic March to self-dependence continues...

Godspeed Mark..enjoy retirement!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Im going to need some help with this.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

Yep, lotsa syllabic antidisestablishmentarianism there. Wink Laughing

Sad news, never got a chance to hire Mark, but he was awesome on a few phone calls when trying to get squeezed in.

Dammit, Jim! (and all Jims, 910 and up). Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Soon all the old good mechanics will have retired and we'll be left to DIY...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

I got to work with Mark a few times, and his generosity with time and explanation were always remarkable.
But I especially remember snapping my slider handle off the morning I was heading to Moab for a week, and on a whim, I swung by Mark's and within 15 minutes I was out the door with a new handle installed.
Sad loss.
Bike as primary transportation
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Thanks, Dave. That was my feeble attempt at humor by saying I'm going to need help marching to self-dependence (a dependent march to self-dependence). It struck me as absolutely hilarious at 3:36 am this morning. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

Mark showed us exemplary kindness and masterful skill, when he went out of his way to help us get back on the road, 1,000 miles from home. I hope to see him on the road!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another star dimmed: Mark@Wolfsburg Autowerks in Boulder retired Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

STOP THAT!!! Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: