Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor advance vacuum can replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

I don't strip and replate my parts. I value my health and the environment more than shiny metal, but I get why others do. I use hot lemon juice to clean my distributors and parts rather than ultra sonic cleaners or other solvents. All of that saves some overhead. Call me old school, I'm ok with that. They still look good, are clean and function the way they should.

I don't work on a lot of SVDA distributors, focusing on the old cast iron and early SVA. These don't wear as frequently or rapidly as the later distributors. With some trouble spots in mind and a vacuum tester in my hand I can eliminate poor candidates before I hand over the cash at swaps. It's a bit harder to do that with the later SVDA'S and DVDA'S. The wear points are hidden under the points plate and old greasy dirt. I had a seller offer me a bin of over 60 of them a year ago, for $100. I didn't think twice!

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

An I going to do any damage by driving without the vacuum advance while I wait for it to come in? I’ve got the line plugged up in the meantime.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
An I going to do any damage by driving without the vacuum advance while I wait for it to come in? I’ve got the line plugged up in the meantime.
Nope just and engine that doesn't run as smoothly at part throttle and gets a bit worse gas mileage. With your foot in it the engine will not know the difference.
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

With a dual advance distributor you still in theory have the mechanical weights advancing the spark.You won't be advancing fully without the vacuum functioning properly. Wildthings description is the result.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

oshima wrote:

A simple explanation is your distributor will act like a mechanical only distributor like an 009 with the vacuum canister un-hooked. It will fully mechanically advance to around 21° so you should set your timing at idle to 7.5 BTDC while the vacuum canister is disabled.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Folks here are lucky to have folks here who restore distributors.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

I don’t have any magic in sourcing this stuff, just importing. It’s not rocket science, I just happen to have logistics people in many EU countries
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Here's one that may work for you. Having two mounting holes on each side it may be ok. It's a universal unit non USA withe the same advance specs as the 581.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235000

Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Hey all,
I have a 78 2.0 FI. Currently points.
Will this can work on my factory svda distributor?
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/vacuum-advance-can-043-905-271/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

yes - buy several at that price. Probably not the best quality but it will work. When they are NLA they can sell upwards of $100 each.
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Thanks! After reading this thread I was afraid of the low price.
tasb

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Depending upon your distributor you might have to add some holes or elongate the ones already there on the mounting tabs of aftermarket canisters in order to mount it,.

Last edited by tasb on Wed May 22, 2019 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

Vacuum canister are not one size fits all. the have different part numbers for a reason.

And if you have to "make" them fit, I would suspect it's not the right one for you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

PSA for anybody with a fuel injected engine with a "bad vacuum advance can…" …I have seen two shops miss this in the last year alone.

Please check your EEC valve for proper function before indicting your vacuum advance mechanism. If the EEC valve is shot, (moderately common,) you will not have any functional vacuum advance, and you should disconnect and remove the Tee to the air cleaner's valve while you search for a working EEC valve air cleaner body.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor advance vacuum can replacement Reply with quote

There are only nine different German Bosch vacuum canisters listed here on TheSamba for SVDA distributors. Six of them deliver between 8-12 degrees of advance at between 180 (2)-200 (4) mm/hg. They are almost interchangeable. If you are unable to find the exact match trying one of the others is worth experimenting. Most of the advance with SVDA's is a function of the mechanical weights.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: