Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gene berg shifter
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drtrash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

Looking at getting a GB locker and was looking for recomendations to what model and size? I think 12" is vw stocker also straight or curved?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

Mine is curves non lock with the 60% reduced throw (basically just adds the quick shift base to the bottom of the shifter)
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

If possible, drive a car that has the shifter you are considering before you leap.
Keep in mind that the shifters that make a huge reduction in "throw", do it at the sacrifice of leverage, so shifting effort will be increased.

To me, a 35-40% reduction in "throw" is plenty, and a good compromise.
I'm very happy with my Vintage Speed 13.5" curved shifter.
It looks fairly stock, 35% reduction, easy reach, nice and smooth.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

I’ve got a locker in mine. Love it !

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drtrash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

What length or is more dependant on arm length?
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

It’s a 12 inch. Pretty comfortable.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floyd74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread.

Looking to install new shifter in my Thing. Is the Gene Berg still the gold standard or have units by vintage speed, CSP and Bug Tech caught up or exceeded the Berg shifters?
If you are running any of the aforementioned shiters your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

I believe Hurst is still the Gold standard.

That being said,...

I found that this trigger EMPI Shifter is amazingly better than the stock setup and a bit less impact on the pocketbook.

I'm not a particular fan of EMPI but so far this shifter has been great. This is the 13 1/2.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

You might want to do the 6710EB which is angled back a little more.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

Having pulled the GB shifter out of the Thing, here’s my thoughts. The Hurst has a slightly longer throw. But just slightly. Overall smoother. I also have a Hurst in another car, that’s been trouble free for 15 years. Maybe for race applications the Berg is better…something that I’ll never know.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Floyd74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene berg shifter Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming. Looks like the Hurst shifter can be a bit tricky to find but might be worth the search. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: