Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 924S
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

Any update? Are you done fixing the brakes on your 924S?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Porsche 924 Was to be a VW Reply with quote

The Brakes are all done!
The Porsche 924 was supposed to be a Volkswagen! However, VW decided it was too sporty and it would not sell well during the early 70's oil crisis. Porsche decided to take over the VW plan and make the 924 a Low cost Porsche. By 1988 the last year of the 924's The car had (1/2 a Porsche 928 Watercooled V8 engine in it) with a 2.5 Ltr displacement. The model was replaced with the Porsche 944 model.
Up until 1987 the Porsche 924 came with the Audi 100 engine also used in the AMC Gremlin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 2.5 ltr Water Cooled Porsche Engine:

camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

back when I had a 87 924s, I used to hang out on the forms through
http://924.org/contents.htm here: http://www.924board.org/
Great site, lots of folks willing to help out and parts to be had.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

The 924 was supposed to replace the 914. The 928 came out next. Then in '83 they introduced the 944 which had a completely different engine not related to the 928. Virtually no parts are interchangeable. They sold all 3 models at the same time for a number of years. In the late '80s they put the 944 engine in the 924 and called it the 924s. That was to address the lack of power from the Audi 100 engine.

The 944 and 924s are the best handling stock production cars Porsche put out until just the last few years. They would out corner all models of the 911!

In '89 or '90 they dropped all three in favour of the 968 which had the 944 engine upgraded to 3.0 litres and a host of other improvements including slightly different body lines. That is the most desirable of all the Porsche water pumpers.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

Amazing cars even today!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

Uh...is that Permatex disc brake caliper lube you used in the green tube?

That is NOT for use internally on the EPDM rubber seals

That is for metal to metal contact only on sliding calipers and caliper pins.

The Permatex technical data sheet:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/speci...er-lube-4/

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

The Porsche is for Sale but until it sells I am borrowing the Wheels for my new to me 1960 VW beetle.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

As much as I love old Beetles I cannot ever see replacing my Porsche with one. When I got my first 944 I realized that this car is exactly what I had been trying to achieve with my Beetles all these years and never quite succeeded. Even to come close to matching the all around stock factory performance and drivability you have with that 924 it will take 4 times the money and a whole lot of time.

Just my opinion - Nice old Bug non the less. Enjoy!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

I have had the 924s for many years, it's still a really nice one and I would keep it if I had the garage space but Yeah, A lot of nice Technology in the 944 Drive train. The way they handle is something. The only thing I don't like about mine is the way my clutch and brake pedals are so close together. Seems like I can never get the seat adjusted right to get my feet on the clutch pedal just right.
The 88 924s has some nice things on it. Like the timing belt tensioner and shock inserts and of course the late Porsche 52.3mm offset Rims.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

The other thing about the 924/944/928/968 series is they just don't rust out with the galvanized body. Pretty hard to find a Beetle these days with enough metal left in it to even get a good starting point for rust repair. It looks like you found a decent one.

The phone dials actually look better on the Beetle than they do on a Porsche in my view!
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

I have had a few Porches, 356es, 912s, 914s, and a 944. As far as a daily driver you can't beat a 944 or 924. Now we have, rather the wife has a 2016 Miata. Now that's a Duncan to drive
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

1988 Porsche 924S Price Drop to: Price: $4000 Maybe get it for your wife, Actually I realized I had the price too low and took the ad away. But Still want to move it to make more room in my Garage. The Porsche is getting its Phonedials back as soon as I can get the VW rims finished. Also I have another set of PhoneDials That can go on the VW once they get refurbished. Looks like it's going to cost around $200 to straighten repair and refinish each PhoneDial Rim.
Trying to do the VW Rims myself:

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 924S Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the distance between us and import red tape I would be very tempted to buy it. But the what would I do with 3 Porsches?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: