Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

One word: Queso
Fill it up, change your life....
VW Logo
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

I put the DS door aux crud tray from my first T3 into the PS door of the second and never had any trouble with opening the glove box with the door closed--because the glove box wan't there. In the beginning it was just for the passenger to have more leg room and a foot rest. The stowage came in '87 when the entire dash--ALL of the tin gone--was replaced with a teak beauty. Splinters? If the passenger hits the dash, or the dash hits the passenger hard enough to dent the tin and require that padding, then splinters are going to be the least of his/her problems. We know every time we get into our beloved magic carpets, that we are part of the crumple zone and yet we still keep doing it...........and loving it.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

the carpenter with the wooden lid could easily pull a mold from it

then somebody can clean it up a bit and make a vinyl covered foam lid - no wood splinters and easy to mass produce
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

Or a fella could just get one of these, whack out the top of the dash and just toss it on with some hinges. Really nice syncro here (except for the still installed dreaded glove box). Check out the clean carpet and seat upholstery.

edgood1 wrote:
when I overhauled my syncro I put in an earlier dash.
It was from an '84 westy and was brown. All the other original syncro parts were brown as well.

I cleaned them all and painted with krylon fusion satin black. The results were fantastic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the best one I've seen and I really like the fold out ladies' writing desk, or perhaps just an extra horizontal surface to put something on while camping, or even for the passenger to add the mustard and mayo to the to-go sammy picked up while you were filling the tank before handing you your half. You could bring up a wire or two for a flexible stalk mount light for maps and have oil pressure, or other instruments of choice in that fat front. Note the thickness relative to the OG instrument cluster. Just went out and measured. From the underside of the rear window defroster switch to the middle of the trim at the bottom of the cluster is 3 1/8" Plenty of room for gauges.

This could open--pun intended--a whole new opportunity for the paper shredder option. Go for it guys and show us what you've done. Inspire.

Duncan
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

Finally, I am not the only one to have done this, I guess the holes are in there because before the trim is put on, they are reversible, they could have put a warning in there, like, shtop ! dumbass, that's not going to work on this side.

E1 wrote:
That damned glove box thingie brought out my endless, undeniable brill just last week.

We've always wanted a second map pocket, on the passenger door. Finally found one at Urabus. Psyched. Giddy. Prepare for more organization!

I immediately noticed the door panels were pre-drilled for my convenience. SWEET! Tore it all apart, mounted the unit on, filled 'er up, Life is so Good!

Then a few days later we drove down the road and realized we can't open the glove box with the door closed. Wink Embarassed Wink

I am Einstein.

(turns out the panels aren't "pre-drilled" for the passenger side after all... they're just the same ones used on the driver's side but with opposing vinyl)

619 201 0310
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

Welcome! Unite! Laughing

Training Film at 11, each day for eight years.

These things take time.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

That's past my bedtime Laughing

Did you leave the map pocket in place, mine is there, it's in burning, so only me in there, we had a map pocket in lucy, it must have been further back, that broke due to wife trying to get EVERYTHING !!!!! in there, not replaced as she'd only try and put EVERYTHING !!!!! in there again.
E1 wrote:
Welcome! Unite! Laughing

Training Film at 11, each day for eight years.

These things take time.

619 201 0310
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

If these things continue, my Missus will learn to love her new GSC.
(Glovebox Seating Compartment)

Yep, still there. #879 on Things to Do.

Gotta think positively -- only #821 on Things to Redo.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

I think a glovebox organizer of 2 or 3 compartments is good - ala Obryan, I’ll look into that. Six compartments is too many cubbies, too many variables to be faced with. Maybe good for a full-timer, or hardcore traveler.

I have not assessed my glovebox contents in many years. That feller who didn’t have the strings/catch and his box dumps onto the floor had the opportunity to purge. Like many things in life its the right thing at the wrong time. I’d shovel it all back in, while muttering.

I want another map pocket and my driver side is broken. Heres a map pocket thread. Good tips about collision-also if the door is slammed closed with the glovebox sitting open.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of installing a Paper Shredder in the Glove Box. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I lined my map pocket with felt prior to reinstallation after converting back to power winders. It's easy to do and is a nice touch VW should've done on all the vans.

cmayna wrote:
While you are replacing the broken map pocket, you might consider installing one of the passenger's door. One of the best mods I've done on our rig. The only gotcha is being sure it is set rearward a little more than the driver's side to clear the glovebox when open.

Old posts, but relevant here. Felt--what a great idea. Does anybody have pics of their felt lined map pocket? And or how did you do it and with what material.

Broken? No problem--I have fixed at least 6 of these and non ever rebroke. PS side is more important to me and passenger than the glove box, although obviously I have both. But if the glove box were still installed, I'd do what cmayna did and just move it aft a bit.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: