Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Deluxe Resto Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Excellent progress. Looking good!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Got all brakes adjusted installed soft lines and new shoes. Wheel bearings looked good and I greased the front end. Gonna bleed brakes in the morning and hopefully that will be that. Hopefully, a couple of friends are coming over to help me get my engine out of the basement and into the bus. Hopefully I can get it started.
I am almost ready to glue in my headliner material around the windows. It's cold as hell here in Portland though. I might wait until it's a little warmer.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another step closer
'65 Honda Dream
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

That looks like a brochure. Do you think the breather hose could kink after awhile?
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

yeah... probably a little long... I’ll shorten it later.

I still haven’t got the nut on the drivers side upper engine bolt. The DH shroud makes it a lot tricker to get your hand in there and get the nut on.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Engine fired right up. Realized that I wired my red and green idiot lights backwards. Which is good news.. I'd rather have a generator not charging than no oil pressure. Bad news is a front wheel cylinder blew out. I only had a replacement for the other side. Can't test drive it around the block til Monday now!
'65 Honda Dream
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

I just clicked through this thread and loved it! Applause
Great bus - following you on instagram too! Wink

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Thanks!

Haven't updated in a while. Finally drove it! No seats and I only have about half the brakes and no seats, but I took it around the block.

Link

Can't get the gen light to turn off. Replaced brushes, but no help. I will try polarizing today. I really don't want to swap that out.

Gonna try to find some zig zag springs today to fix my upper driver's seat and finally get it covered.

Beautiful day here in Portland. I may start gluing in my headliner material around the windows. It is this project that is holding back soooo many others... Interior panels, rear windows, popout window seals and latches, seats, seatbelts, and yes, eventually the headliner itself.

Since this is my first restoration, I am just blown away by all of the little nickel and dime crap I keep forgetting or have lost... The little pin that holds the E brake in the handle (I have the square nuts, don't know what happened to the pin Evil or Very Mad ) the pins for the front door check rods, broken front door panel clips, screws here and there...
'65 Honda Dream
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Since this is my first restoration, I am just blown away by all of the little nickel and dime crap I keep forgetting or have lost... The little pin that holds the E brake in the handle (I have the square nuts, don't know what happened to the pin Evil or Very Mad ) the pins for the front door check rods, broken front door panel clips, screws here and there...

I understand you there! I'm at about the same stage as you with a 72 beetle, and spares are not easy found and very pricey here.
Your bus looks great, I love the colours and glad it's got a nice new paint job rather than blended and patchy. I dread to think what you have spent on it.
Best of luck with it I look forward to seeing the finished pics Popcorn
totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Nice work / Nice bus! Did you have any trouble loosening spindle nuts for brake work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

I have the early bay spindle nuts on the front. Makes it a lot easier
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Finally started gluing in the headliner material around windows. Holy crap this bus is going to be so damned imperfect I feel like I should have a bumper sticker on it that says "amateur restoration". It is super fun to be in the home stretch though!
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Holy shit I’m tired....

Installed the headliner fabric around the windows/ doors and everywhere required. Glued down the bulkhead vinyl. Finished my popouts. Installed the two rear stationary windows. Test fitted the middle and rear seat. ( I never did check to confirm that they were welded in correctly... they were). Installed all of my interior panels, except my bulkhead panels (I need to source the rivets) and the front door panels (waiting on parts to finish the front door check rods)

Ended the evening by taking my wife and daughter for a drive around the block ( no seat belts yet). Great Saturday!!
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

More progress...

Installed...
front door check rods
vapor barriers on front doors
One of the door panels
front mat
New cargo door seals

Made a backup light harness.

Fixed the "generator". Turns out the bulb holder for the gen light was bad...

So I do have a question. What do you do about the upper left engine bolt when you have a doghouse fan shroud. I cannot get the nut on. Is there a trick here?

Drove it around
'65 Honda Dream
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

So I do have a question. What do you do about the upper left engine bolt when you have a doghouse fan shroud. I cannot get the nut on. Is there a trick here?

Drove it around

Socket head cap screw AKA Allen bolt.

Or I have seen an M10 nut drilled to clear a longer M10 bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Very cool! I'll be doing the same soon...small parts/odds and ends recovery in order to put a bus back together.Hope to see this around the neighborhood someday! Are you in SE?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

id'r wrote:
Very cool! I'll be doing the same soon...small parts/odds and ends recovery in order to put a bus back together.Hope to see this around the neighborhood someday! Are you in SE?

I saw your your thread, looking forward to seeing your progress! I’m in North Portland.

Polished and installed jail bars.
Installed other door panel. (I forgot what a PIA the clips are!)
Working on finshing my walkthrough bulkhead interior pieces. I’m about halfway done right now.
'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

'65 Honda Dream
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Deluxe Resto Thread Reply with quote

Wow time flies... Haven't updated this lately. So here we go.

- Swapped out bay master cylinder for proper 67 only MC.
- Started the headliner project today. I finally decided that I'm brave enough to handle it. Spent all day on it today and will probably do the same tomorrow. Everything is still a little saggy. I reused my OG bows and I'm wondering if they are not quite springy enough. I have a set of new WW bows I can swap them out with. Tackling the finishing on the front visor area and the rear hinges is going to be a bitch. But I feel good about my progress.

I have a question about popouts. Mine are not really settling in well in the window frame. The seal that is on the window itself keeps moving about. Is there a recommended break-in process for these. They've been closed for a few months but they keep popping out of the channel and they don't look even. Here is kind of a bad picture.

All and all it seems to run and drive pretty great. I have noticed a couple small oil leaks around push rod tubes and my tranny nose cone seal is leaking a bit. I will get to that stuff as I get time.

My wife and I are driving it up to vintage meet in Seattle in July. The last time I showed it there was in 2003.

Now it looks like this 16 years later

'65 Honda Dream
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: