Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 oil bath set up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dnapmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Hello,

I just got a stock oil bath air cleaner for my 1968 standard beetle but am having difficulty figuring out the set up. Researching online didn't really help other than its the warm air hose. There aren't any extra holes in the rear engine tin or hoses for it to connect. Am I missing something? Can I run the stock oil bath without attaching the hose? So any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

That's a pre-heat intake for colder climates, would draw in somewhat warmer air early on that has passed over the cylinders, so slightly warmer. You're in San Diego, you really don't need that, cold for you is like 55F ? Likely you have a tin without such hole, and I use a large rubber stopper on mine to block that off.

Here's a 1600cc DP engine in my 1970; I use a similar/slightly different air cleaner and shows rubber stopper blocking the hole.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

You are missing the metal strap which attaches to the aircleaner clamp and runs down to the carburettor mounting bolt. It is a two piece affair with a captive nut on one piece and a bolt/bolt hole on the other.
Dnapmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

That's a pre-heat intake for colder climates, would draw in somewhat warmer air early on that has passed over the cylinders, so slightly warmer. You're in San Diego, you really don't need that, cold for you is like 55F ? Likely you have a tin without such hole, and I use a large rubber stopper on mine to block that off.

Here's a 1600cc DP engine in my 1970; I use a similar/slightly different air cleaner and shows rubber stopper blocking the hole.

So its ok to just cap off that warm air i take? Did you just use any type of rubber to cap it off?
Dnapmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
You are missing the metal strap which attaches to the aircleaner clamp and runs down to the carburettor mounting bolt. It is a two piece affair with a captive nut on one piece and a bolt/bolt hole on the other.

Do you have a picture of that?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

No need to cap the aircleaner warm air intake, leave it open. you should cap the hole associated with it that is on the rear tin piece, but your tin piece does not have that hole, so no to capping anything for you.

you do need to install the tin piece near the lower pulley, else a lot of hot air will be drawn into your colling system, not good!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Picture attached.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

You need that hole between the forward of crankshaft pulley and rear cover tin sealed up anyways. Having any holes that you can see road/pavement under the VW is BAD, because any holes there will let the now hot air being blown out under the engine that has already cooled the engine get back into the engine compartment causing the engine not to be cooled as much as it could be.

Here is the rear tin piece you need in the foreground:

Front of pulley tin, the one on the left second up:

Then you need the pre-heat tube and probably the right rear lower cylinder tin. Post images of up under the rear of the engine please.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:

I know - that's a used air cleaner I purchased two years ago, had been running an aftermarket foam type. Like a dummy I discarded my original 1970 and 1971 air cleaners over 3 decades ago !!! D'oh !!!

Got a USA part number/link/supplier for that clamp? Thanks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
Picture attached.

Just to complicate matters here is the photo of an unmolested original 1968 (Jan-build) prior to restoration that has been in our family since new. It is different to Meiang's, which I believe is a '67's. This car has not been changed and I worked on this car as a 16 year old when it was new. the only thing that the photo shows is it has a dealer installed (at service) paper air filter top, which has now been replaced by the correct oil bath one.

In Australia we didn't get the 1500 engine until 1968, so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have used a '67 air cleaner, certainly not on a RHD one, as previous engines were only 1300 cc.

Anyway to answer the original question, no hose goes on the air cleaner as shown.

Here is a good SAMBA discussion of various air cleaners. It corroborates my comment
above.

Edit: Well, after re-reading the attached forum, it seems that there are different versions. One picture clearly shows a hose connected. Perhaps hot climate cars like we have in Australia didn't come fitted, even though the car was imported from Germany.

Curiouser and curiouser....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497250
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Part numbers are:
Upper - 113 129 835A
Lower - VAG BAA 129 837
Spring Washer - N 012265
Bolt - N 90529301

Lane Russell used to sell the bracket but the website it shows that it sold out. He may have them on back order or know where you can get them from.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Quote:
Just to complicate matters here is the photo of an unmolested original 1968 (Jan-build) prior to restoration that has been in our family since new. It is different to Meiang's, which I believe is a '67's. This car has not been changed and I worked on this car as a 16 year old when it was new. the only thing that the photo shows is it has a dealer installed (at service) paper air filter top, which has now been replaced by the correct oil bath one.

I just used the photograph of an example of the bracket. Its not mine.

My 1968 1500 had the preheat pipe installed. It was removed in 1974 and the hole in the sheet metal where the pipe terminated blanked off.
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

So for those of us who live in a colder climate does the hose simply just go out to the underneath the car? I have a removable plate covering that hole but I don’t see where it connects to. Mine is a 71 oil bath type which has the flap but no hose out. How to tell if that flap is working?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Well, it will pick up warmer air just dangling down there, but originally there was a pipe to hook it up to. There were at least two designs for the 50mm warm air pickup tube. It got changed for model year 1972. The old style bolted on one side, to the lower #2 exhaust stud, which tend to vibrate and rust and break. The 1972 revision was secured on both sides by shroud screws.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

I will get a photo of my complete stock 68 engine later today...it has all of the correct stuff on it. Getting ready to go fishin now sorry.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

And while you have the pulley off to install that pulley tin, you should replace that power pulley with a stock-sized pulley.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
And while you have the pulley off to install that pulley tin, you should replace that power pulley with a stock-sized pulley.

yeah, me too thinks that crank pulley is too small. these power pulleys sacrifice engine cooling by turning the fan slower, thus giving more power to the wheels. Yeah, just when I need more power, I am going to cut my cooling air down, what could go wrong!

The power pulley is a bad aftermarket idea, unless you drive in snow, then maybe it is ok.

get a stock diameter pulley for best cooling, specially in San Diego, it dont snow much there!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dnapmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

That's the plan. Just waiting on my stock pulley to come in. Thank you.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Dnapmaster wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

That's the plan. Just waiting on my stock pulley to come in. Thank you.

Even better is to get the post-1970 Doghouse crankshaft pulley. It was biggest pulley VW introduced since 1961.
Dnapmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 oil bath set up Reply with quote

Stock oil bath in. I like it. Next is to change the pulley, install the pulley tin, and move the fuel filter out of the engine compartment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: