Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Specs: Lightened '87 NA Tintop Syncro
Engine: RJE Performance 2.2 WBX

Rear wheels: Custom widened Mefros, 15x10 w/5" backspace.
Front wheels: South African 15x7, ET30.
Rear tires: General Grabber AT2, 265/70R15 (29.6" tall & 10.7" wide) - stretched.
Front tires: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO, 30x9.5R15LT (29.5" tall & 9.5" wide).
Springs: Van Cafe 2" lift Syncro springs.
Spring spacers: Oberschlachter 35mm (front & rear).
Shocks: OME.
T3 Wheel spacers/adapters: Front: 27mm, rear: 22mm.
Lug nuts: T3 "small ball" open end.
Burley Front Billet upper control arms.
Burley 930/16 front axle kit.
Burley 930 rear axle kit.
Van Cafe Syncro HD drive shaft with slip joint.

Van sits aprox 5-6" higher than stock Syncro. No tire rubbing or any other interference issues. Rides smooth.
Note: You will need an engine upgrade. Currently, stock gearing non-locker trans & 4.86 R&P.

Last edited by tjet on Thu May 02, 2019 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Wow! Do you have an extension for the sliding door?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yeah Joe, that will be next. I need to take some measurements once I get the tire size I want before I cut and lengthen that part.

Here's an arm that is lengthened 60mm. I think it will clear the rear tires.

http://www.rhoen-bull.de/Other/door-bail-extension::22.html
Kcbat5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Can I put 19” VW Jetta rims on a 1986 Syncro???
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Yeah Joe, that will be next. I need to take some measurements once I get the tire size I want before I cut and lengthen that part.

Here's an arm that is lengthened 60mm. I think it will clear the rear tires.

http://www.rhoen-bull.de/Other/door-bail-extension::22.html

Good to know. My door actually rubs my tires, 225/70/15's. It opens, but I can't do the Huey helicopter open door cruising that my passengers sometimes enjoy...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CoolCampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these Mercedes wheels? From what I have seen the dimensions should work.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wh..._wheel_594
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

You mean like this? I think were covered in this thread a few pages back. Those are on my van. Pretty straight forward fitting and a good offset.
CoolCampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
You mean like this? I think were covered in this thread a few pages back. Those are on my van. Pretty straight forward fitting and a good offset.

Awesome thanks for the quick response! You don't happen to have a complete side view of your van do you?

Thanks again!
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Sure. Here you go.
CoolCampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks, now I'm torn between these and the clk320 wheels. Any benefit if one over the other?
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The CLK wheels that are popular for Vanagons, are forged which makes them lighter and stronger. These wheels are pretty thick and beefy and I have no concerns about their strength. I have taken them on some pretty bad logging roads and trails with no issue. You will need to replace your rear wheel studs with much longer ones as the wheels are pretty thick in that area, and longer front bolts. Or studs if you have bigger brakes and hubs on the front. Chris at T3 can help you with the correct hardware.
CoolCampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
The CLK wheels that are popular for Vanagons, are forged which makes them lighter and stronger. These wheels are pretty thick and beefy and I have no concerns about their strength. I have taken them on some pretty bad logging roads and trails with no issue. You will need to replace your rear wheel studs with much longer ones as the wheels are pretty thick in that area, and longer front bolts. Or studs if you have bigger brakes and hubs on the front. Chris at T3 can help you with the correct hardware.

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a 1998 CLK320 with the correct wheels. It had some kind of ARS code and with 164k wasn't worth trying to fix for me. They seemed the way to go with the info I received here and from Christopher at t3. Thanks for the help! Pulled the wheels and took the rest to the salvage yard. Made out better than buying them anywhere I have seen them priced with almost new tires.

HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have just purchased a set of

4 X Mercedes-Benz C-Class W202 Wheels and Michelin Tyres 195/65R15

Mercedes Part No: 210 400 0202
6 1/2J x 15, ET37 Offset

It was only $150AUD.

Will these fit a 2WD Vanagon?

What mounting hardware is necessary?

What is the largest General Grabber AT tire I can fit without rubbing issues?

Many thanks
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I like those wheels. They are higher quality that the look alike ones GW sells. But they are not a direct swap. The bolt holes need to be drilled out which can be done with a steady hand drill but you need longer lug bolts up front and longer wheel studs in the rear and new small ball seat nuts in the rear. The longer rear wheel studs are not too hard to change out, I took my van to a shop to loosen the rear axle nut with their strongest air impact wrench. $20 well spent and I provided the large 46mm? socket. Then just pound them out and the new ones in.

I think these were 215/75-15 tires but that size requires a slight lift like the Moog 5658 springs up front and spacers in the back to level it. But it was a great look and ride and worth doing for the extra clearance.

You could probably go with either of the next 2 sizes down in tire (205/75 or 215/70) and not need any lift. Kinda depends on your van and how much it is sagging. With 215 tires and ET 37 Mercedes rims I didn't need spacers in the front but it was so close that when they put balancing weights on the rim, they hit. So 5mm spacers in front would be good, and 8mm in back to move the track out to match the front. I just bought some cheap alum spacers on ebay. The bolts and studs people often get from T3 in the US, but you might have local sources if you know what you are looking for.
HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The Wheels i purchased were the steel variants and not the alloys.
domtybolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me if these wheels would fix my 1987 2WD Vanagon if I enlarged the centerbores to 66.5?

I will put 195-65r16 tires on it which I already have

6.5J x 16H2 ET50

These are original Volkswagen wheels.

Thanks for the help!
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Do you have a source for your jalousie windows and that spare tire gas can carrier? Love that you just went for that wheel/rim combo.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The gas can idea come from this thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651253&highlight=

The one I have is an MB can without the MB emblem. I think it's the smaller 7L model. It's made by Belino.

The windows idea is from this thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=jalousie

Really like the jalousie's. I think I paid around $300 for the pair in the classifieds.

Thanks for the complement on my wheels. I wanted a pair of 15"x 10" rear wheels for sand only tires. I put a pair of A/T's on them to try them out & just left them on. The van feels more stable now around corners. Note, the front & rear tires are the same height to avoid damaging the viscus coupling.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Just wondering if the experts out there had an opinion on whether these wheels would fit

The add says that they are genuine factory 16" MB C Class C200 W204 wheels
PCD= 5x112
16x7J
Centre Bore= 66.6mm
14mm bolt/lug
ET 43

P/No A204 401 1102

I am considering putting them on a 2WD with 1.5" GW lift and fox shocks with intent of doing some mild off roading

Thanks in advance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 155 of 173

Jump to: