Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

I used the rather rude hammer technique. Not pretty, but very effective.
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

I love this build, the low buck program seems in line with the early history of building dune buggies. I think your biggest score was finding a body that wasn’t cut up and full of holes, so anything you can do to preserve that will be a plus. Buggy exhausts are a dime a dozen, and I wouldn’t cut the body to make one fit, swap yours for one that fits your build. In terms of a roll cage, I’ve always liked the look of the ones built by Fiber Reinforced Products out of San Diego. I think you can replicate what they build, and keep the sweet lines of the long body while providing some valuable safety. It will let you keep the back seat, which is the biggest plus of a long body. Trust me, everyone want’s to go for a ride, keep the back seat functional. As far as the windshield, pros anc cons to the traditional buggy windscreen vs. built into the cage. I’d stay away from plexiglass though, it scratches easily and has awful glare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://fiberreinforcedproducts.com
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Solid advice. Likely sticking with windshield in cage but found a source for custom safety glass.

Can't decide on cutting the tail, if I do it'll be done right and minimal impact.
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:
I used the rather rude hammer technique. Not pretty, but very effective.

Thanks! I am going to give it a try for mine.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Scored the Empi harness on the cheap and figured I'd give it a go. Their schematic is pretty decent and only real concern is screw posts in fuse box. Spent the evening labeling it and hope to get it installed tomorrow.

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Electrical is coming along, now time for a dash (unit the body came with was trashed).

Bad sketch to start things off

Used Corel Draw to design it and printed out a mockup to check my work (missed the hole for column by a lot!)

Next it'll go to laser bed at work to be cut out of 13 gauge steel.

Hoping to get to cage this weekend as well.
1961 Patina Bug
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Be careful of that hard edge on the bottom, it may take out a knee. I would sit in the car and see if it will be to low. Can you roll the bottom edge?
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Hot Air wrote:
Be careful of that hard edge on the bottom, it may take out a knee. I would sit in the car and see if it will be to low. Can you roll the bottom edge?

Height of dash already taking into account humans. Bottom edge likely not rolled, but may end up with a molding on it to avoid any sort of sharp edges.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Wrapped the Empi harness install. Should be able to add a battery and test my work in the next few days (fingers crossed).

Got lucky on the speedo, late model had fuel gauge integrated in. Should look nice and clean.

Picked up a couple sticks of 1.5" tubing to start the cage build. Cage will hold windshield, so it'll run right behind dash. Dropped the overall height an inch lower than a standard Manxish windshield for a more aggressive look. Rear hoop will run roughly parallel to windshield (laid back) and the runners off the back that end with a kicker on the rear cowl (fast back style). Putting rear seat in stock position (not on package tray), so cage should clear anyone under 5' 8".

Car keeps asking to be lowered.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Cage mockup nearly completed. Really liking the fastback look. Ran out of tubing, but should be able to complete by next weekend (and maybe drive it for the first time ever!)

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

This thing is practically building itself.

Used Corel Draw to draw the dash and then laser cut. Came out pretty good.

Rear bars are more decorative than they are crash resistance, but they'll also help stabilize back of the body. Landing plate template from cardboard.

Car is going into storage for a bit (ran out of room and have a bus an another buggy in play), so we rattle can'd the cage to keep it from rusting.

Finished dash looks the business. Struggling with an appropriate hinge for "glovebox" door. May add USB port, but not much else. Radios are for people that can hear over their engines.

Some random motorcycle mirrors seem to work OK.

Quick release steering wheels should be mandatory for buggies. Not sure how you guys get in your cars! Used a weld on unit that came with an entertaining warning.

Like the stance of this thing. Will cut safety glass for windshield and we're thinking the car wants to be yellow.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Maiden voyage at 28 degrees and my 16YO kid at the wheel.

https://youtu.be/Q5oRHKH11Ms
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Pulled the buggy out of storage and should have it wrapped up this summer.

First challenge is creating an in-cage windshield. Not even sure how to make this happen, but figured I can weld in a lip on the inside of the cage and glue in safety glass. What could possibly go wrong? Starting with a wood template, I'll use as a guide to weld in lip and eventually cut the glass.

Oldest kid sent me a t-handle for Christmas. finally have a chance to install it.

Next up is Pertronix dizzy, some tuning, turn signal install and eventually a driveway paint job. Stay tuned.
1961 Patina Bug
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

There is a rubber extrusion available has a semicircular outer edge that squeezes into the inside of the tubing, no welded lip required. Check with the sandrail parts suppliers.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
There is a rubber extrusion available has a semicircular outer edge that squeezes into the inside of the tubing, no welded lip required. Check with the sandrail parts suppliers.

Paul

That would be a lovely solution. Any links?
1961 Patina Bug
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

I'm struggling to make a link work but here is the info....

Originally the rubber extrusion was made by Bug Pack but they went the way of the Dodo bird.

However, I spent some time chasing and researching in 2016 and found that Berien/Acme now are making it using the original die, even using the old part number to allow people to follow the sequence... BP6049. You should be able to find it on their site. I believe it still comes in 12' lengths.

There is more info on this forum in an old sandrail thread about windshields.

Paul

The thread was in the HBB off road section of this forum.Look for "sandrail windshield help".

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

EMPI bought all of Bugpack a few years back. Looks like they still make it.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/DUNE-BUGGY-WINDSHIELD-GASKET/

Not sure I understand how it works, but will get to researching!

Thanks for the tip!
1961 Patina Bug
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

That would seem to be the same extrusion.
The outside edge is concave to fit around the tube, the other side has a slot for the glass.
Their picture is terrible, doesn't depict the true shape very well.

Paul

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Looks like rubber glues to cage. Getting my head around this one.

Any suggestions on Lexan/plex? Is it all the same?
1961 Patina Bug
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Budget Buggy Build - Pic heavy Reply with quote

Quote:
Quick release steering wheels should be mandatory for buggies. Not sure how you guys get in your cars!

Tilt wheel....... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: