Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 westfalia water tank screw cap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Hi all,
Purchased a 86 locally that I found on the samba and have been using this site extensively for information.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can't find any post to help me out with a missing water tank cap. Bought one on eBay but the threads are much bigger then mine. Anyone know a part number or alternative solution?

Much thanks for all the info on this site.
-Travis
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

The cap I received. Anyone know what this fits?
I'll put it up for sale.
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

I am not sure about the top cap you need but do know that there are different drain caps. Sometime in 1987 the drain cap changed and maybe the top one does too. I suspect they changed either the vendor or had some reason to change the tank measurements and this is what you have run into. That or at some point a prior owner replaced the tank with one from a different year. Those of us with 1987 Westy's have to identify when our van was built to get the correct drain cap and even then it can be wrong as during assembly of vehicles manufacturers use what ever parts they have left in the bin before switching to the new style even if it is after the date they claim to have made the change.

Mark
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I also need to replace those caps but have found lots of threads with information for them. This main cap eludes me still.
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Forgot to mention it is a Canadian model. So the water tank might very well be unique in that regard.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Canadian Westies kept the early water setup (with the water pump under the sink) much longer than the US. I’m not aware of any difference in the cap, but there may be one. Maybe a cap for a US 81-82 Westy would fit.
My (canadian 87) cap doesn’t have any rib on the external side IIRC - that might be a clue when looking at pictures.
Edit to add: found an old pic in my gallery
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

I may have what you need, pm me the measurement of the opening

have one off my 84 joker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 82 Westy. How would I access the top of the water tank like that.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

drip wrote:
I have recently purchased a 82 Westy. How would I access the top of the water tank like that.

Through the cubbies under the rear table…should be a metal plate that slides away to allow access to it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Okay so I think I've got this worked out. Seems that the earlier models had a thinner threading and the later ones had the huge thread that I was sent. Thanks to shouldhave for the info and helping source a part. Here is what the thinner threaded cap looks like:

Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Update: The cap shown above also doesn't fit... About the same size but the threads don't match up Confused
The search continues.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Taoseno wrote:
Update: The cap shown above also doesn't fit...

Not to doubt you -- but are you sure?

My original cap looks very like that and the fit is at best fiddly. Even once the threads are engaged it is very stiff to turn.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Taoseno wrote:

My original cap looks very like that and the fit is at best fiddly. Even once the threads are engaged it is very stiff to turn.

+1, I usually have to try a few times to get mine to start threading on correctly.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
Taoseno wrote:

+1, I usually have to try a few times to get mine to start threading on correctly.

+2 - I always worry it's watertight until I've carefully filled it right up to test.
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

So on my 82 Westy the water tank is located under the rear table below the two storage compartments? When I looked in there I wasn’t sure how to remove or access the top of the tank. Is it the forward or rear compartment?
The two compartments don’t seem to share a common space. Have a divider between them.
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

The rear one.
Taoseno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

Based on others opinion and pictures that it is the correct lid for my tank I got back to this project and got it to work. I got a couple different files and shaved down/dug the threads deeper on the lid and tank checking after every 5 min of work. Eventually it started to seem like the threads actually matched. Kept up until it would turn all the way down with a little coconut oil to lube it 🥥
Water system complete 👌
bbaca75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 westfalia water tank screw cap Reply with quote

I'll have to try this... just got a tintop syncro with westfalia camper inside. Not sure what year camper it came out of but my lid also doesn't work... I guess I'll try filing it. Where did you end up getting a cap though, just in case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: