Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 503, 504, 505 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Make America Vanagon wrote:
I finished today, but for the last 2 months, a little here, a little there, and here is the finished product.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dude! We have an almost identical Van! I hope yours runs and has been treating you better than mine has. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
Make America Vanagon wrote:
I finished today, but for the last 2 months, a little here, a little there, and here is the finished product.

Dude! We have an almost identical Van! I hope yours runs and has been treating you better than mine has. Laughing

Nice ones 🤙
4spd
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Due to completely irrational college sports biases, I have been trained from a young age to hate all shades of the color red in all contexts, with the exception of Tornado Red Vanagons. So cool looking. I want one.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had been hearing a cyclical noise from the front end. Got floss up to give her a feel, left seemed a bit stiff, but no play 10-3 nor 12-6. Right indeed has a tiny bit at 3-9 and a tad at 12-6.. Decided to rotate the tires. Getting ready to trek to Bug-in Minneapolis Smile I think she'll make it there and back, and I expect my front end rebuild parts from Christoph3r soon, so it will get done one way or another!! Hopefully not after a AAA tow home. She'll never be a trailer queen, hopefully not a flatbed nightmare either.

Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the seat with a permanent bed for storage, just ordered another foam

Marc..
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced rear brakes.... all of it...
New backing plates, new wheel cylinders, new rubber hoses, one new hard line( threads stripped coming out of the old hose)
New spring kit, new drums, new anchor pins, new bolts, new parking brake cables. Added some grease into the outer rear wheel bearing via a needle attachment while the flanges were off( they were rusted to the drums and had to be popped apart with the shop press).. Rolling Eyes
Painted the rear trailing arms with Eastwood Chassis Black.

The pictures of correctly placed arms and springs here on Samba were great to double check my work as this was my first rodeo with the rear brakes.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
obzrve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Reconnect my horn
Replace the ignition control module
Clean Fluid injectors
Seal vacuum leaks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my spider cracked oem tail lights with the smoked ones from Ken at Vanagain.com and replaced a broken license plate bulb.

They are the European version made by JP Group Denmark. Nice quality and yes I know they are not street legal Razz My slightly upgraded bulbs make it a bit brighter. Might run led in the future.

My Hella front smoked turn signals has been waiting for this Cool

4spd
yew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I decided I'd done enough engine/mechanical that I'd earned looking into an issue with the stereo -- which stopped working a while back when I tuned up the window crank assembly. Head unit was getting power, but no sound. Replaced it, same issue. Then figured out that the driver's side door was pinching a wire bundle and when I take pressure off it I get sound back to all speakers. I still down understand why, but I guess I understand the fix Neutral

Tomorrow new stereo head unit goes back, and I ordered ABS door panels because part of the problem here is that the original ones are water logged and falling apart.

A PO put two speakers in the door and I'm suspecting modern speaker tech will allow me to put one pair in, smaller, with better sound. Lemme know if anyones's got particular recommendations there.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove like the wind. In a F5 cyclone. Now home from the Bug-In Minneapolis. Did NOT win the '67 seafoam beetle.. didn't figure I'd be that lucky.. Some guy named Andretti did, imaging! No worries, already have TOO MANY. Was fun. just over 500 miles added to the ODO. Glad to be home and in bed Smile
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

yew wrote:
I decided I'd done enough engine/mechanical that I'd earned looking into an issue with the stereo -- which stopped working a while back when I tuned up the window crank assembly. Head unit was getting power, but no sound. Replaced it, same issue. Then figured out that the driver's side door was pinching a wire bundle and when I take pressure off it I get sound back to all speakers. I still down understand why, but I guess I understand the fix Neutral

Tomorrow new stereo head unit goes back, and I ordered ABS door panels because part of the problem here is that the original ones are water logged and falling apart.

A PO put two speakers in the door and I'm suspecting modern speaker tech will allow me to put one pair in, smaller, with better sound. Lemme know if anyones's got particular recommendations there.
If the wire[s] are shorted to ground inside the harness or are shorting together when pinched, I can easily see an amp shutting down in protection mode, even if it's a small radio with no external amp in the stereo system. I've seen this with Alpine and other radios back in the early 2000s on Land Rovers where the radio would shut the whole vehicle side of that grounded harness down once a screw was accidently out into a radio/stereo harness.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed the GoWesty Altn. Support Bracket that I had ordered months ago. My 1.9 had the threaded holes even though I don’t have power steering, so that was less work needed than if I had found non-machined casting bosses like the one poster with his ‘83 1/2 did.

The main pivot bolt snapped on me, so I spent some quality time coaxing the broken bolt out of the bottom of the Altn.
Installed the new bracket and hardware, added copper Anti-Seize to the new pivot bolt and got the satisfaction of finally watching my Altn stop wobbling with the engine running.
Made a temporary repair of the Blue Field wire, cleaned the main output post and eyelet of the double wires for now. A new harness for that circuit is now on my to-buy list.... Blue Wire Insulation was crumbly to the touch... Rolling Eyes
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced passenger side power window regulator....got it all back together and rolled it down...and I hear a "snap" that was plastic. Sure enough, the dang little plastic holder that keeps the wire in place snapped. Apparently something is in door that the window is hitting and when rolled down almost completely, it hits thus causing the window to put pressure on the plastic. Uhg, not sure what to do now.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ran a new power wire up the A pillar on the Drivers side to replace the Mouse chewed open circuit...
Embarassed Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Installed one of my LED Festoon bulbs in place of the standard incandescent bulb as a test.
Still more work to do on that circuit...Passenger Side door switch turns on the dome light at the left door while in Auto mode/ Door mode, but the Drivers door switch does not.
2nd contact of the drivers door switch does work with the Buzzer relay, so the mice didn’t kill that portion of it. Always On portion of the front light works, so the wiring is still okay there. I found that blasting the metal contacts with my Baking Soda Blaster is a quick way to safely remove the corrosion on the dome light contacts and not hurt anything . More effective than Contact Cleaner.... Razz
Slider door switch works nothing, I’d already cleaned all the door switches earlier this year, so it’s time to break out the Multimeter and find my remaining opens.

Adjusted the new rear brakes one more time and dialed in the Parking Brake as well.
Much better pedal height and stopping power now. Cool

More to do.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

'Got my Van out of the garage and washed it. Armor-All on all window seals and the front bra.
Just ordered the Bus Depot polycarbonate headlight covers to go over the GoWesty ones so now I'll have double protection. The reason is that my drivers side high beam was broken even with the GoWesty lens protector on it. It cost me $75 for a used high beam.

'Going out now to load our two e bikes for a ride around Park City tomorrow.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dropped Sally the Syncro off at Stephans Auto Haus to get all the AC lines replaced. Just had new compressor, etc put in and while it was sitting in my driveway...the old lines blew. Sad
So, now Sally will have a sweet chilly AC....for the dogs to enjoy.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I ordered a set of these
HANKOOK VANTRA LT (RA18)
75.97 apiece
https://simpletire.com/hankook-185-r14-2001939-tires
I'm planning on getting the lifetime alignment at the local Firestone as well

Also got to meet dobryan at his home a few days ago and he was kind enough to look at my van and offer me a few beers... even made a small modification to the battery compartment to make it safer. I know what to bring if I go back to his place now lol
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
...Also got to meet dobryan at his home a few days ago and he was kind enough to look at my van and offer me a few beers... even made a small modification to the battery compartment to make it safer.

OK- I'll take the bait: What's the little mod we probably all should make in the battery compartment?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
smd333 wrote:
...Also got to meet dobryan at his home a few days ago and he was kind enough to look at my van and offer me a few beers... even made a small modification to the battery compartment to make it safer.

OK- I'll take the bait: What's the little mod we probably all should make in the battery compartment?
. I was wondering this too since the cover DOES end up close to the Positive Terminal. I have the usual plastic post cover that fits in the small round holes on top of the battery, but am certainly open to suggestions of improvements.... Popcorn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 503, 504, 505 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 504 of 630

Jump to: