Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

Does the Subaru 2.5 2002 engine halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack full of stuff? Shocked

The cargo Rack that I'm planning on doing is a full roof rack, I have welding material and can have one made in a couple of days.

I'm asking this because I already have a 2.5 donor engine here, however, engine rebuilding is needed because its consuming oil like 1 quart every month, and has no leaks in the motor area. No overheating, daily driver, good dependable motor, almost 200,000 miles Soooooo! I'm taking apart donor motor, rebuilding it and buying the conversion parts.

So my main concern does it halls ass with this amount of cargo or should I better go with Subaru H6 6 cylinder engine? Or maybe a VW VR6?

My Vanagon is a GL 1985 4 speed manual transmision 091 6 rib that currently has the jetta 2.0 conversion with 1.8 vw heads and 32/36 carburator but having dificulties in making it run again... Evil or Very Mad

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

Any 7 passenger van will hall the equivalent amount of ass. 7.

If it's only you in the van it will also be hauling the equivalent amount of ass. 1.

The occupancy is directly proportionate to the equivalent Haulling of ass.

(Sorry, that door was left wide open.) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

I'd say it can literally haul all those asses much more quickly than either the WBX or an ABA, but figuratively haul ass like say my Mazda Speed3? No, still a brick.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
Any 7 passenger van will hall the equivalent amount of ass. 7.

If it's only you in the van it will also be hauling the equivalent amount of ass. 1.

The occupancy is directly proportionate to the equivalent Haulling of ass.

(Sorry, that door was left wide open.) Laughing Laughing Laughing

hahahahahahaha
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

the Subie 2.5 is about 165hp,.
the ABA 2.0 is about 115hp.
the Subie 3.0 is about 245 hp,
and your transaxle won't haul that for too long before grenading the 4th gear bearing and main shaft.

I'm curious how you want to get a Subie 2.5 or 3.0 swap working when you(or your mechanic) aren't getting the carb's ABA to work.
well with a butt load of $$ will fix either..

with the $$$$$$ buy a different van. and enjoy more life Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

no matter what you do to it, it will still be a VW van.
"haul ass" is a relative term.
my stock 2.1 "hauls ass" compared to the old buses i spent most of my life in.
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the Subie 2.5 is about 165hp,.
the ABA 2.0 is about 115hp.
the Subie 3.0 is about 245 hp,
and your transaxle won't haul that for too long before grenading the 4th gear bearing and main shaft.

I'm curious how you want to get a Subie 2.5 or 3.0 swap working when you(or your mechanic) aren't getting the carb's ABA to work.
well with a butt load of $$ will fix either..

with the $$$$$$ buy a different van. and enjoy more life Wink

The carb and the heads are done the problem now is that the engine doesn't have power and is heating after 28 minutes with the fan on (direct)

I'm going with my mechanic today to see what's happening

When I did the engine rebuild back in 2012 aprox I went from Tijuana to Yosemite with some issues of loose bolts and some trany lube leaking out but I managed to head home safe after some minor maintenance on the road and then got the trany going again

I really want to keep the van since Mexico doesn't import German cars anymore starting with serial number with letters only numbers from 1-5 (North America) and if you could import them the tariff is way to high

The other reason is that it has this conversion already and maybe I can get another vw engine in there just need to figure out if it would clear the engine hood. (Fuel Injection)

The other more expensive route would be to put the Subaru motor in but it's more expensive

But believe me I want to enjoy life but with a working motor Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

A really good option to consider is the VW 1.8t. Lots of options for tuning for more power and it is still VW.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

There’s a thread for this...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686164

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:

Ouch.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
T3 Pilot wrote:

Ouch.

A question is never a stupid or lazy person question, on the contrary my friend. Knowledge is power and learning will give me knowledge that's why I always ask no matter what some folks think, God bless.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

A new Honda Odyssey goes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. If you truly want a fast people carrier, I'd say that's the one.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
A new Honda Odyssey goes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. If you truly want a fast people carrier, I'd say that's the one.

You made me throw up a little bit in my mouth, John.

I really hate piloting modern mini-vans, always an awful driving experience (I have to drive my in-laws top end T&C to take them places far too often).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I really hate piloting modern mini-vans, always an awful driving experience (I have to drive my in-laws top end T&C to take them places far too often).

You wrote “take in-laws far” and “often”.

These two scenarios are not used together with regards to transportation in a 30 year old vehicle. This requires a modern vehicle, and careful swallowing.

Short trips often is feasible.
Far, once, is feasible (but never again, even if you made it)

If they are to remain “in-laws”.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Does subaru 2.5 halls ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

But you have to avoid Psycho-Chicks who get their own Island.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

Does this count?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

It will seven asses if needed. The velocity will depend greatly on the cumulative mass of said asses.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

"Haul ass?" No.
My '70 Nova with a 4 speed and a 327 would haul ass - my 5000 pound van with 165HP does NOT haul ass!!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

88 Carat auto with 02 Subaru 2.5 (since 2003) here.Daily driver, usually driver only. Haul ass with that load? No. You would do better with the H6 3.0.
kublerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Does Subaru 2.5 haul ass with 7 people on board and cargo rack? Reply with quote

It isn’t really a reasonably worded question. I had a 7 passenger 81 automatic Vanagon. Air-Cooled. Last summer (year before? I forget) took a bunch of us sightseeing in eastern Oregon. Climbed big hills fine, drove the speed limit or a little over everywhere. It was 68 hp of raw power. Fun to drive.

I have an ABA w 1.8 head and CIS injection in my high top camper. Maybe 110 hp? Not sure. Has the manual. Much more pep and climbs hills easier and faster. Not really fast, but fast enough to exceed the suspension’s cornering abilities if I’m not careful. Just like the air-cooled engine. It’s fun to drive.

My sort-of solicited advice would be to put fuel injection on the engine you have and drive it. Likely to be the easiest route. My CIS system is a little cold blooded but sure doesn’t have many parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: