Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Coolant Issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

The overflow tank in my 85 1.9 Vanagon is filling up pretty quick. Below is a picture of the tank after 30 minutes of driving:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also noticed that the overflow tank seems to be leaking from the top?

Should the overflow tank be filling up this much?

Also, I'm now all of a sudden having to sometimes push on the gas pedal to get the engine started. This seems to be a separate issue and related to a bad Temp sensor?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

I would say put a pressure gauge on the expansion tank and see what the pressure is building to from the engine running for that 30min, but not everyone can easily source the tool and adapter for that.
How old is your expansion tank cap, the Blue one or something else?
If it’s bleeding pressure and not holding it back, you can get overflow into the overflow tank.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

This is a classic symptom of a head 'gasket' failure that allows combustion gases into the coolant. That in turn forces coolant out of the system and into the expansion tank - sometimes to the point of fluid overflowing out those openings at the top that you show.

It doesn't have to be that but the symptoms fit pretty well. When everything cools down is there a pocket of 'air' in the top of the pressurized tank?

There is a chemical test for this issue - it uses a liquid that changes color if combustion products are present.
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
I would say put a pressure gauge on the expansion tank and see what the pressure is building to from the engine running for that 30min, but not everyone can easily source the tool and adapter for that.
How old is your expansion tank cap, the Blue one or something else?
If it’s bleeding pressure and not holding it back, you can get overflow into the overflow tank.

I’m not sure how old it is — it’s possible that’s it’s original.

I’d also like to mention that the the coolant in the overflow tank returns back to the expansion tank and there does not seem to be a loss of coolant. The coolant level left in the overflow tank is right at the max line.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

maybe Ahwanhee is just trying to scare you because this is also a classic symptom of a failed (or failing) pressure tank cap. new caps are now available again at your friendly local VW dealer for about $60; accept no substitute.

another thing that can cause this is overfilling the system by reving up the engine and "topping off" the expansion tank.

my suggestion would be to get a genuine cap, or PROPERLY test your current cap, give it a good bleed & see how it acts. if the problem persists, then further action is required.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

The Big Cheese wrote:
...I’d also like to mention that the the coolant in the overflow tank returns back to the expansion tank and there does not seem to be a loss of coolant...

That's good - you may only need to test/replace the (black or blue) cap on the pressure tank. If that cap is black it is very likely the original.

PS - I wasn't really trying to scare you.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Cool
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
This is a classic symptom of a head 'gasket' failure that allows combustion gases into the coolant. That in turn forces coolant out of the system and into the expansion tank - sometimes to the point of fluid overflowing out those openings at the top that you show.

It doesn't have to be that but the symptoms fit pretty well. When everything cools down is there a pocket of 'air' in the top of the pressurized tank?

There is a chemical test for this issue - it uses a liquid that changes color if combustion products are present.

Those tests are 100% true positive, and about 80% true negative.

Or

if you get the colour change, your head gasket is shot.

If you don't get the colour change, its an 80% chance your gasket is still good

All IMHE.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Got an old guy in my neighborhood that likes to come over and watch me work on my van. When I first got it, I had a bad pressure cap, but was checking the head gasket leak. No color change, I'm feeling good. He says, hey you want to see how those work? Takes a big drag off his smoke, exhales into the tester, instant color change.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Is the red light light flashing and the temp showing suddenly hot before you think it could possibly be hot?

That's a factor to the below, but it doesn't always happen unless the overflowing coolant drops the level enough to expose the sensor to air.

This happened to us on our first test drive after purchase, and resulted in my first thread here. I freaked when reading "head gasket," partly as we had accompanying bubbles in the overflow tank at idle.

I added two bottles of Subaru coolant conditioner also, but if memory serves that was to make me feel better as we were about to live on the road and out of patience in general.

I've since had a couple caps fail, bubbles and all, and new Blaus stopped the issue.

So if so or even if not, start by replacing the blue cap. Van Cafe has the Blaus back in stock, as I learned in person yesterday, the "other" blue ones that also sometimes come in black have not been fruitful for us.

So it may be too early to chatter your teeth. Good Luck!

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Read these:

https://intrepidoverland.com/bad-coolant-pressure-cap-or-bad-head-gasket/

https://intrepidoverland.com/testing-coolant-pressure-caps/

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

I ended up ordering a replacement cap this morning from GoWesty. Is the Van Cafe BLAU that much better?

Hopefully it’s just the cap but I would like to run the tests for the leaking head gaskets. Could you guys provide some information on this test?

Also, what coolant conditioner is recommended?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

The Big Cheese wrote:
I ended up ordering a replacement cap this morning from GoWesty. Is the Van Cafe BLAU that much better?

Hopefully it’s just the cap but I would like to run the tests for the leaking head gaskets. Could you guys provide some information on this test?

. Subaru Coolant Conditioner....
but test, test, test before reaching for anything.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

The Big Cheese wrote:

BLAU are usually better quality than the rest. Even better, go buy one at your local VW Dealer. Not as expensive as you'd think, and they're high quality.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

VW Dealer list for the cap looks like $56. Better be real good.

Mark
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

VW had a new run of these made and dealers on the west coast are stocking them just in time for our summer camping season. i was more than happy to contribute $56 dollars to that.

i would be interested to see what OP receives from GW.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Ok, you talked me into it. Just ordered one from the DEALER. Hope it is the real deal.

Mark

borninabus wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

VW had a new run of these made and dealers on the west coast are stocking them just in time for our summer camping season. i was more than happy to contribute $56 dollars to that.

i would be interested to see what OP receives from GW.
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

The Big Cheese wrote:

You'll need a block test kit like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVBSFTF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works on the fumes coming off the coolant, not on the coolant itself so you have to make sure you don't get coolant in it, which can be tricky because this issue often only happens when the engine warms up.

The way I did it was to use a libby bong type tube and draw the gas out the top of that. First attempted failed because coolant level rose, but after it puked some out, second fresh liquid test worked fine. Worth having that bong in your arsenal anyway.

I just went through all this and you can see from the photos - yellow liquid - it tested positive. For me, I did get that puking out of the expansion bottle, but if I didn't refill coolant and kept it at the level that it got happy with, I'd get the flashing red light once in a while. I could look at blue capped expansion bottle and see clearly that the level was low.

Good luck!

K

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

Blaus cost $17.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Coolant Issue Reply with quote

It was a gasket issue on my old van. Passed the first chemical test anyway. While I was experience all these thrills I got the GW cooling system pump and tester which proved to be very handy. Pressure test the cap, the system overall to look for leaks, and bleed the system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: