Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal tab on back of door panel?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Metal tab on back of door panel? Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 1961 356 with a funny metal tab on the back of the original door panel.

Question 1:
Is the tab supposed to go INside the hole in the door to hold it from bulging out? ("out" means toward the passengers) If so, how does a person get the tab inside while also clearing the window and door cranks? Are you supposed to bend the panel a lot or something?

Is the tab supposed to sit ON top the door metal as a brace of some sort? (meaning NOT inside the hole I'm pointing at)

Question 2:

My door panels do not have any armrest.

My door and panel have a screw hole under the flap for the pocket in the middle of the door. However, I see lots of pictures of doors on the internet and there are just 14 holds around the perimeter and there don't appear to be any holes in the middle of the panel under the door pocket flap. Part of the issue is that the car is old and a few extra (sloppy) screws were put in by previous owners here or there. I have a new panel now and I want to put the "right" number of holes in it.

Thanks in advance!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Metal tab on back of door panel? Reply with quote

PurpleGoat wrote:

Is the tab supposed to go INside the hole in the door to hold it... Are you supposed to bend the panel...?

Yes & yes. It’s a Roadster/Convertible D only thing, for door panels that have locking map pockets. Cool
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Metal tab on back of door panel? Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

Is there a trick to getting this on with the metal tab in the hole?

On another note, can anyone post detailed pics of any door seals that go on/under/whatever the door area? I see all these seals listed on websites such as Stoddards, but it's not very clear exactly how to layer and cut?

For example, on the door seal, does the seal go under the panel and get penetrated by the screws holding the door panel on? Or is is it more just glued on really close to the door panel and tucked under the very edge of the door panel?

I see on some sites there appears to be two front seals on the door and two rear seals on the door. Is that right?

I have a pile of new seals that my dad bought about 15 years ago (so I guess they are old now) but never installed.

Again, a picture is worth 1000 words, so any you have are much appreciated.

The car is a 1961 Roadster.
JulesD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Metal tab on back of door panel? Reply with quote

seals are all glued on the door before the panel gets mounted. it's a 90 degree rubber seal that gets cut at 45 degrees at the bottom front and rear. there is no overlap. then the door panel gets mounted on top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: