Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bend, Oregon Stealth?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Geologist here.
Spent about 2 min. searching the internet and I can already tell you exactly where Bend gets it's water from. Bridge Creek just upstream of the fork at Tumalo Falls is the primary intake, and a well field into Deschutes Aquifer below the city is the secondary source. Both are going to be free of agricultural influences: Bridge Creek drains the east side of Broken Top and the aquifer is deep, far deeper the safe minimum depth of surface contaminant natural filtration. Furthermore, the surface water goes through a very nice municipal RO system.

Arsenic would be my only concern given the volcanic nature of the area and the fact that I couldn't find any reported arsenic levels for the water. However, my shaky understanding of the reverse osmosis process makes me think that it would remove metals from water as well. If you're concerned about water quality just get those dirt cheap 1-2.5 gallon distilled water jugs at any grocery store. The distilling process results in very pure, tasteless water.

TL;DR - Bend's water should taste good, and is probably very clean; you were tasting the store's pipes.

Additional fun fact: There is a certain level of water quality above which you really don't want to drink. The purest water in the world is ASTM Reagent Grade III water achieved via de-ionization and further esoteric processes (generally for laboratory use). The total lack of ions means that the water is essentially "out of balance" chemically, and will absorb ions out of it's environment until it regains equilibrium. Which means that if you drink it, it will literally suck the salt out of your body. Not very much mind you, but it is still a real process. Science is funny sometimes.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Edward Abbey called cattle “hooves locusts” for the damage they’ve done to the West.

Don’t know what the water tastes like, mine always had hops in it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Giardia makes great chocolate, just saying.

There from San Frisco
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

As for stealth camping drunk, I know a guy who was busted for DUI while sleeping in the bed of his pickup. Keys in his pocket. This was Fort Collins, CO and CO law is likely different from OR.
In a full Westy in CO you'd be OK, but not a tintop or weekender. Something about having 4 of 5 items that make it an RV. Bed, sink, fridge, stove, and toilet if I remember correctly.

Put your keys under the van somewhere just in case.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
[Long winded irrelevant Bend story]

I drove through Bend a few years ago and it seemed like a modern enough town. Not what I remembered from the mid ‘80s, now it looked like Californians fleeing the alien invasion. I needed to water up so I stopped at a modern alternative grocery looking for a filtered water machine. Finding none, I asked a man who turned out to be the manager where is the water filter machine. He replied very proudly “We don’t need filtered water here because it comes from the mountain and is pure.” OK I believed him and he directed me to a spigot out front where I filled up. Unfortunately when I drank the water it tasted like rusty old pipes, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid.

This experience led me to believe Bend is essentially a bullshit town full of pretend people who don’t know anything. Sorry for offending you but sometime between 1985 and 2016 Bend turned into an asylum for Californians who think they are all natural.

Exactly right. All the people I know who grew up there in the '70s or earlier moved away in disgust.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
Cattle graze throughout BLM lands, Nat'l Forests, and wilderness areas, such that there is probably no watershed not polluted with their feces and the diseases they carry.

The cattle industry is an environmental rapist that is virtually unparalleled, everyone should think about what the money they spend on food pays for...

Agree - except that very little of the beef people eat is from the West. FL and AL are big producers. The western cattle rancher is a small part of the overall beef production. I can say more but why not let Ed Abbey tell you what he thinks...

https://harpers.org/archive/2015/02/cowburnt/
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Why not just rent my home in the Skyliners neighborhood?!

https://www.alpenglowvacationrentals.com/vacation-rental-home.asp?PageDataID=144022

A group of friends rented this house last summer, and it is really amazing. Skyliner neighborhood is really great. Right on the trails!

Bend is a constant quagmire of various things. There is a lot of separation of wealth and the middle class is non-existent it seems. It's a strange town in many ways, but you take the good with the bad. So far, i'm happy to be here, but you do see all the growth and what not constantly and it's always a political hot topic. In 20 years it will be interesting to see where we are at. By that time a lot of pre-growth folks will have passed on or moved away and it's hard to say what this town will be.

Regardless, it's fun to live in a mountain tow. Vanlife stuff is everywhere, and yes the sprinter may be the official vehicle of town. I probably see 3-5 westy's a day during the summer too. All varieties too, including basic stock vans to TDI Syncro's with all the mods. That's a fun bonus of being here too, but it comes at a cost. So far so good.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
Cattle graze throughout BLM lands, Nat'l Forests, and wilderness areas, such that there is probably no watershed not polluted with their feces and the diseases they carry.

The cattle industry is an environmental rapist that is virtually unparalleled, everyone should think about what the money they spend on food pays for...

Agree - except that very little of the beef people eat is from the West.

The reality is that %74 of beef is produced by factory farming, the remaining 26% is "grass fed" and responsible for incomprehensible damage to the environment as Ed Abbey speaks of.

So the choice is to support factory farming because it doesn't specifically destroy/pollute the beautiful landscapes out west that we all love, but that comes with an ethical burden that few people have ever actually considered. The ethical burden of eating beef can be slightly reduced by eating beef from "boutique ranches" but then you are contributing to the environmental atrocity that has been talked of in this thread...

Merian wrote:

FL and AL are big producers. The western cattle rancher is a small part of the overall beef production.

And the sad truth is that despite producing only a small portion of the beef in this country, the western cattle rancher has polluted virtually every stream west of the Mississippi, and maybe I am uninformed, but I don't know of any benefit that comes from all this contamination and destruction.

Merian wrote:
I can say more but why not let Ed Abbey tell you what he thinks...

https://harpers.org/archive/2015/02/cowburnt/

He's spot on!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

except that the remaining 26% that is "grass fed" is often from wet areas (which is where cattle evolved) - e.g. I know where my beef comes from: about 15 miles south of town and we get rain for 6 months

I could say lots of really really bad things about the western cattle industry - in fact, I have already done so in an endangered species petition to the US Fish & Wildlife Service. OTOH, I do feel sorry for a lot of the ranchers.

You should probably not eat much beef anyway as "red meat" contains a "suspect chemical" - in the US the avg. Joe 6pack eats a LOT of beef - I eat it 2-4x a month.

I am going to stop eating beef entirely as soon as they have tofu that tastes like bacon.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

you do know that bacon is swine and not beef I'm sure Razz
Merian wrote:

I am going to stop eating beef entirely as soon as they have tofu that tastes like bacon.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
except that the remaining 26% that is "grass fed" is often from wet areas (which is where cattle evolved)

Did they evolve there in the density they currently reside there?

Merian wrote:

I could say lots of really really bad things about the western cattle industry - in fact, I have already done so in an endangered species petition to the US Fish & Wildlife Service.

That is awesome!

Merian wrote:
I do feel sorry for a lot of the ranchers.

Don't, people who exploit the environment and animals for profit deserve no sympathy.

Merian wrote:

You should probably not eat much beef anyway as "red meat" contains a "suspect chemical" - in the US the avg. Joe 6pack eats a LOT of beef - I eat it 2-4x a month.

I quit eating meat in 1990 Cool

Merian wrote:

You can stop eating beef now Very Happy

https://www.livekindly.com/vegan-bacon-fools-carnivores/

Samba ad here.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

If its any consolation, much of the dry west’s grasslands are rebounding ever since factory farming made open range ranching unprofitable. New Mexico has some spectacular tall grassland after a wet winter, in places that were cholla sagebrush and dirt just 20 years ago. Apparently in their mad rush to justify open range ranching, people forgot that at one time all this desert was grassland. So don’t be too quick to condemn factory farming, because its taking the pressure off of the rangeland.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
...don’t be too quick to condemn factory farming, because its taking the pressure off of the rangeland.

99% of people are opposed to animal abuse, 99% of people are opposed to factory farming, 95% of all meat comes form factory farming, and 95% of people eat meat.

Humans raise and slaughter ~100 billion animals a year, if we killed humans at the same rate there would be no humans left in ~3 weeks.

The only land animals that need to eat meat are cats.

Factory farming might reduce pressure on the beautiful landscape out west, but it's ecological footprint is still absolutely horrendous, the feed for those cattle has an exceedingly high environmental toll. The water required to make a "quarter pounder" is almost beyond belief, ~600 gallons...

The ethical aspect of factory farming is even worse, uhhh, well, I'll stop there.

Samba ad here.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Quote:
The only land animals that need to eat meat are cats.

Yet another reason they are awesome.

I eat too much meat, but I am slowly turning it into a delicacy in my life

I confess i like fish more and my body tells me it’s happier with it in ways that’s don’t need To be shared.

It’s a crappy,crappy industry in many ways. The fast food aspect is awful.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Funny where this thread has wandered. As my screen name suggests, I e long been into veg*n lifestyle for the reasons mentioned as well as others.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I confess i like fish more and my body tells me it’s happier with it in ways that’s don’t need To be shared.

It’s a crappy,crappy industry in many ways. The fast food aspect is awful.

Almost half of the plastic garbage in the oceans is from the fishing industry, 46% actually, the money people pay for fish enables the fishing industry to fill our oceans with plastic without remorse, fishermen are without question the largest single plastic polluter there is.

vegpedlr wrote:
Funny where this thread has wandered.

I love thread wander! Laughing

vegpedlr wrote:
As my screen name suggests, I e long been into veg*n lifestyle for the reasons mentioned as well as others.

I figured you were at least veggie, and likely veg*n! Plus you ride bikes, Wooo WOOO!!!!! I too do a lot of bicycle riding Cool

And ever so slightly on topic, there is an ~8' tall rock with a large V notch in the top of it that you can ride you bike up over/through and off the other side on the Phil's trails, kinda close to the trail head, on your way back to the trailhead, thats all I remember from riding those trails.

Samba ad here.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

this thread has gone round the bend...

moo.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Going to head up the Bend area ... taco trucks

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:
Going to head up the Bend area ... taco trucks

Are you a fan of Bend taco trucks?

Or, do you think you've exposed vegpedlr as a hypocrite who claims to not eat meat but actually does?

FWIW, there is at least one vegan mexican food truck in Bend...

Quote:
Food truck preparing Southern- & Mexican-inspired vegan bites with outdoor umbrella tables.

https://www.abrokenangel.com/

Samba ad here.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bend, OR Stealth? Reply with quote

Well, the title gave us the choice of stealth and bend , didn’t it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: