Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of the 72-79 busses
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
72's are mutant buses...really. and, they look confused. early nose, late rear...barf

I wouldn't however kick a clean one to the curb....but I would put a late nose on it

Phhffffttt!!!!
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...late bay campers (73> when the did the roof redesign) are more valuable...really, they had the best layout of all campers.

Agreed, when a late bay interior was offered to me for free, I jumped at it, stored it in the basement for a while, then finally got a bus to put it in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a Safare highroof, but when I got it, the interior was long gone. The highroofs are whats up. So much room for activities.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

Yonder1981 wrote:
So I’m fairly new to VW. Have always admired them and my family has some VW fans in their ranks.

All things being equal is a 72 more valuable than a 79?...

I recently purchased a 72 bay window. 1700. Manual. Nothing fancy but pretty solid. We are going to do a custom interior to make it our little camper bus. Well it needs an engine rebuild so I’ve been looking. Found me a 1979 bay window. Solid bus. Cheap on eBay so I bought it. 2.0. Fuel injected. Manual.

So I’m thinking the 2.0 and tranny will come out, get rebuilt and go in the 72.

As far as value is concerned is this a smart move? Would a 79 with original motor be worth more than the 72 and transplanted drivetrain? Maybe they are really close on price? We aren’t selling it anyway but want to make the best decisions here. The 72 has more appeal to me because it’s an earlier bus.

Thoughts?

Since neither of them are campers and you are making it your own, then they will be equal in my eyes. Neither of them have high value as regular converted buses. Point being you are not taking a nice Westy or Rivi and making it something they are not. Those buses are at the top of the food chain, passenger buses are at the bottom. Just the way it is.

So have fun and make either how you want it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

if you found a cheap westy interior, it would pass for a tintop. (a camper with the original metal top, no poptop)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

Condition, rarity, demand, and karma have to do with the value of a bus. The seller also has to do something with the value of a bus. Someone for example who has been here a long time on theSamba, has a reputation for being fair and honest is usually someone you can trust. Someone who appears out of the blue with a freshly painted bus that magnets won't stick to is likely to not get the kind of offer someone known for being thorough will.

What I mean by Karma. I managed a staff appraiser once who was upside down in his townhome because the market had crashed somewhat. He decided he wanted out of it and told me so about 3 pm one afternoon. The next morning he came in and said, well I sold my townhome to some gal last night for my price and since it is a cash deal we close in 3 days. I need a couple days off to move. I laughingly said BS you either had it sold when you told me or you are making up a story. Your price is $20,000 over ones like it that are new in the same complex that are being built right now. He told me what happened the night before. He put a for sale sign up in the back window of the condo facing the freeway with his number. 10 minutes later the phone rang and some elderly gal wanted to see it. She came by, looked at it and said I want it. She had just sold her home in Las Vegas, was moving to the LA area to be near her daughter's family who lived across the street in another complex and she had made a lot of money on the home in Las Vegas having been there many years. She saw the sign coming into town, made the decision instantly, and wanted that place for her reasons. The cash was good and the escrow did close. Karma. It is part of value but it is between the seller and a higher power.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

if the 72 was such a great bus, VW wouldn't have made the 79 better.

Laughing

fwiw, I own a 71 & a 72.

but I'd like a well sorted out 79 automatic Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

I think I'm in the camp of least rusty for sure. I think both year buses have pluses and minus. The 72' has the lack of engine hatch issue that most owners dislike. They also have the dual Solex 32 PDSIT carbs that can be finicky to get working correctly after they have been restored. Most need new throttle shaft bushings. The carbs also are matched to a one year only Bosch distributor with a getting hard to find and expensive DVDA vacuum canister. When both the carbs and distributors are restored, the carbs can be dialed/synced and the engine purrs. The sad part is most people don't invest the $ and time to restore these original parts and bolt a craptastic Weber single carb on it or dual webers.

I've sold some restored 72' Bosch distributors to 72-73 owners who took the time to put their engines back in as delivered new, original condition. One customer sent me a video of his completed engine and my gosh did it idle and run beautifully.

The 72' also has many 1 year only parts that can be a real treat to track down in NOS or decent used condition. I do prefer the early bay nose as well.

Again, to me, finding the most rust free, original and complete bus is the biggest thing folks should focus on. Chasing down all the original parts that are usually missing can do quick damage to your savings account.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

Back in 1973 - 1975 I had a friend with a 1972 bus he bought new. It was plagued with issues because it was a changeover year. On the other hand 1979 is the last year and one of a kind of many things.
Yonder1981
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I think I'm in the camp of least rusty for sure. I think both year buses have pluses and minus. The 72' has the lack of engine hatch issue that most owners dislike. They also have the dual Solex 32 PDSIT carbs that can be finicky to get working correctly after they have been restored. Most need new throttle shaft bushings. The carbs also are matched to a one year only Bosch distributor with a getting hard to find and expensive DVDA vacuum canister. When both the carbs and distributors are restored, the carbs can be dialed/synced and the engine purrs. The sad part is most people don't invest the $ and time to restore these original parts and bolt a craptastic Weber single carb on it or dual webers.

I've sold some restored 72' Bosch distributors to 72-73 owners who took the time to put their engines back in as delivered new, original condition. One customer sent me a video of his completed engine and my gosh did it idle and run beautifully.

The 72' also has many 1 year only parts that can be a real treat to track down in NOS or decent used condition. I do prefer the early bay nose as well.

Again, to me, finding the most rust free, original and complete bus is the biggest thing folks should focus on. Chasing down all the original parts that are usually missing can do quick damage to your savings account.

Our 72 isn’t a stock bus. Someone cut out an engine hatch. The original motor has been replaced by a 411/412 1700 which needs a rebuild.

What kind of one year only parts are on a 72? Just curious.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Value of the 72-79 busses Reply with quote

Yonder1981 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Our 72 isn’t a stock bus. Someone cut out an engine hatch. The original motor has been replaced by a 411/412 1700 which needs a rebuild.

What kind of one year only parts are on a 72? Just curious.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467858&highlight=1972
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: