Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swapping engines--90 Cabriolet timing
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathansStory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Swapping engines--90 Cabriolet timing Reply with quote

I haven't done this for 10 years. This is the 3rd motor I have put in my 90 Cabbie.

Let me run several things past everyone. Just before I get ready to put this motor back in.

Engine 2: Idled then began to rattle really bad. Had sat through the winter. Fired it up, it ran. Then knocked, then.... Sounds like the bottom end is coming apart. 60lbs of oil pressure.

so I pulled it. I found the flywheel loose, That might of been the noise. Too late now. It idled, then all of a sudden the noise! It sounded as if there was no oil pressure even though, the manual gauge said 60-70...

Replacement engine is out of an 87 Golf. I am swapping on my head since my 90 has the electric injectors. So I thought....one head bolt is reamed out. I will try today to get a better 12 pt tool

I had/have a used head. I have it now on the 87 block with new head bolts and a new head gasket but have not cinched it down. My old intake and exhaust manifold I must use. A1-vs A2.

HERE IS THE ISSUE AT THIS INSTANT--other than me being 65 and sore.

I've not done this for 10 years so I am depending upon memory. I split the automatic from the replacement engine. Removed the flex plate, installed my flywheel.

I can't use the head setup since it was from a Golf, 1987, so I had to pull the head. The exhaust manifold also.

OK, timing the crank. I have #1 all the way up. To the top. I sat on my ass for an hour yesterday trying to get the flywheel back on in the correct spot. Finally, I think I did it, the tab/timing-mark are at the top, directly below the oil pressure sending unit.

Now, as I remember, the crank is at TDC #1 firing. Since I will also need to swap the dizzy, I am not concerned at this point at where the rotor is pointing.

Now that I have the flywheel on, clutch plate centered (Used the dowel) notch at the top, #1 all the way UP. I should be ready today to set the head at TDC. Right? It was sort of a guessing game. I kept moving the flywheel around and around trying to find a spot it slipped in. Finally, I think it liked where it is now. #1 is at the top. The notch is at the top. I THINK I have the crank now at TDC.

In regards to the head, I have not looked, but shouldn't there be a notch on the cam gear that lines up with the valve cover/head indicating that the head is now at TDC?

here is where I am lost

Setting the head. Getting the crank, the dizzy (easy pts to #1) and the head all at TDC #1.

refresh my memory, please. I remember my diesel 1.6's all had a notch on the head. Or a cut on the back of the cam.

1.8 the same way?

This is the LAST engine I will ever swap. Too difficult at 65. Climbing up and down and under and over---I literally lost 5 lbs (Which was OK actually), but damn it, boy, was and am I sore! I sware it. I almost sold this Cabbie to the junkyard. They only were willing to give 105 bucks. I've owned it for years. Yeah, it rattles, yeat the top needs to be replaced --next project--but it has konis, and it is a blast to drive.

Embarassed [/b]
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping engines--90 Cabriolet timing Reply with quote

TDC on the cam will be a notch on the back of the cam gear that lines up with the valve cover sealing surface on the front of the cylinder head. This should have both #1 cam lobes pointing up (exhaust at 11oclock-ish & intake at 1 o’clock-ish.)

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Swapping engines--90 Cabriolet timing Reply with quote

Three engines in one car..
You are a brave man.r reminds me of the old days back in the 60's n70's.bugs n busses n gias even a squareback ....
I put one engine in 3 different cars ,had to be a 36hp. 1st a 59 bus then a 61 Karmann Ghia then finally a 64 bus.
It sure is tough when you are old...I did a tranny swap last summer 2 out one in took me almost all of the summer. I am 72 now...good luck n buy your self a book.. Haynes manual r about $25 worth more than gold and good reading... Good luck with the projects Bill in Puerto Rico till this crisis blows over

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: