Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a RH sunvisor clip missing the stud from here (yes, only the LH one was detachable originally). It goes on the body metal inside the top of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror (assuming you bus is LHD).

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111857561
You'll have to come up with a rod to stick into the hole on the end of your visor to clip into it.

A 71 Westfalia should use 6 curtain ties, one on the RH B pillar, 2 on the rear hatch, 1 above the spare tire, 1 on the middle post between the 2 LH side windows and 1 on the LH B pillar. 1 more on the top of the closet for the cot too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Passenger side visor "clip". I also have a 71 tinny.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the help!

What threw me off is I found 2 OEM VW clips in the bag that allow the visors to be swiveled. Did not know that is is supposed to be stationary on the passenger side. Thank you.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:
Two different sizes on my '79 when I took off the original pump a few weeks ago.

I had that hunch. Positive is standard 1/4” size right? What size is ground?

I snipped and replaced with rings but it was the next size down so maybe 5/16th or the metric equivalent? Just small enough to be noticeable but not the super tiny size. Clear as mud, sorry Sad
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

When the key is left on the "on" position on a 78 FI engine (electronic fuel pump), what all activates? Is it possible to burn anything out?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
When the key is left on the "on" position on a 78 FI engine (electronic fuel pump), what all activates? Is it possible to burn anything out?

The points in the distributor if the engine has stopped in the right spot.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Electronic ignition would have no problem then?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

oshima wrote:
Electronic ignition would have no problem then?

Depends, some have built in protection, most don't and are permanently damaged.

Слава Україні!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It holds the sun visor shaft. On the left and right above the windshield.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, I have new fabric for making curtains. I have the slide rings for the track over the sliding door.

But I have no idea where to get that pleated strip that the plastic hooks hold onto? I find stuff like it on Amazon, but it's often too wide and made for house curtains.

Anyone know a good source?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
Okay, I have new fabric for making curtains. I have the slide rings for the track over the sliding door.

But I have no idea where to get that pleated strip that the plastic hooks hold onto? I find stuff like it on Amazon, but it's often too wide and made for house curtains.

Anyone know a good source?

Google up "Airstream curtain supplies" or something similar, those guys have all the stuff you need.

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, cool! I will definitely check that out!!

smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone ever need to adjust their idle setting as the seasons change?

Have a '78 2.0L EFI, and the idle seems to change depending on the ambient air temp. Live up in New England, and we finally got some warm humid weather, and my idle jumps up to 1500-1600 rpm. Thought it was weird because I remember back in November, I had to bump up the idle because it was very low... Some reason humidity seems to really change the way my bus runs..

SS
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
Does anyone ever need to adjust their idle setting as the seasons change?

Have a '78 2.0L EFI, and the idle seems to change depending on the ambient air temp. Live up in New England, and we finally got some warm humid weather, and my idle jumps up to 1500-1600 rpm. Thought it was weird because I remember back in November, I had to bump up the idle because it was very low... Some reason humidity seems to really change the way my bus runs..

SS

How does your intake air temperature sensor (TS1) measure compared to the baseline test in the AFC manual, available here in the technical section? (Second or third to last page.) It would be interesting to see what it reads on a cold cold morning versus a warm afternoon.

New England actually has REAL seasonal change, but 600 RPM of difference does seem a bit excessive. Have you been oiling your distributor felt wick (under the rotor) every month?

What is your idle speed and idle timing?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply asiab3

asiab3 wrote:
How does your intake air temperature sensor (TS1) measure compared to the baseline test in the AFC manual, available here in the technical section? (Second or third to last page.) It would be interesting to see what it reads on a cold cold morning versus a warm afternoon.

The TS1 is the thermo time switch correct? I was thinking that could have a role to play in it. I also have strange idle after starting it when I let it sit for about an hour after driving somewhere. I'll try the test:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

asiab3 wrote:
New England actually has REAL seasonal change, but 600 RPM of difference does seem a bit excessive. Have you been oiling your distributor felt wick (under the rotor) every month?

What is your idle speed and idle timing?

I have to oil it every month?! Sad Ok, I'll have to keep up with that. It is a new distributor (rebuilt from busdepot), about a year and a half old. Oiled it up last sometime last summer'sh.

I set the timing at 7.5, and aim for around 900rpm for idle; it's usually dead on. But as I mentioned before, if i drive somewhere, and then let the bus sit for about an hour, the idle will stay around 600 for about 5 minutes, then it's fine.. No idea why it does this, I've just lived with it.

SS
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is anyone running this shock from Amazon. The reviews are stellar but 15 bucks seems cheap.

KYB 343144 Excel-G Gas Shock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COBVXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5Qe-Cb3EDMGHR
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Skoolieman wrote:
Is anyone running this shock from Amazon. The reviews are stellar but 15 bucks seems cheap.

KYB 343144 Excel-G Gas Shock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COBVXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5Qe-Cb3EDMGHR

They look like what I have on mine, and I've been happy with them.
Not sure how much I paid for them, but sure it was more than $15.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
The TS1 is the thermo time switch correct?

No, TS1 is inside the AFM and tells the system about what environment it's running in. The TTS controls added fuel for starting and is not connected to the ECU.

Oil your distributor every tune up, Robbie likely does his one once a month due to the miles he puts on Wink

Слава Україні!
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
No, TS1 is inside the AFM and tells the system about what environment it's running in. The TTS controls added fuel for starting and is not connected to the ECU.
[/quote]

Ah, i see it now, nice. Thank u sir. So i did the test on the #6 and #27 plug on the AFM, like the AFC manual says. I got a reading of 2820 ohms. The manual says I should get a max of 2800 ohms, with the air temp at 68F; it was about 65F when I did the test.... I'll check it again this afternoon once the temps go up, see if it's different.

I opened up my AFM last sept. to look and clean (back when I was chasing another issue), cleaning it fixed the issue [knock on wood]. I see that the #27 # 6 plug have wires leading under the circuit board, where I assume the temp sensor is located.. interesting..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy wrote:
Oil your distributor every tune up, Robbie likely does his one once a month due to the miles he puts on Wink

Phewww.. Cool
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
I see that the #27 # 6 plug have wires leading under the circuit board, where I assume the temp sensor is located..

If you have the AFM removed, or a spare, you can look through the air passage and see a little nub on one of the walls, that's the air intake temperature sensor, or TS1. It might also be helpful to warm it up briefly with a heat gun of some kind and see how the resistance changes. (Or doesn't!)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 408, 409, 410 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 409 of 515

Jump to: