Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires on a Westy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

The time has come for new tires for my 1977 Westy.

So I understand there's the reinforced sidewall issue - it is not recommended to use passenger car tires but rather tires that adhere to VW's spec for the bus.

Busdepot mentions that on their site and offers these:
http://www.busdepot.com/ra18

Or the bigger version:
http://www.busdepot.com/ra18195

However, I just saw these BFGoodrich ones on a bus and think they're really neat (see photo).

What do you guys think? Is there a reason I should stay away from the off road tires? And would you choose the 195 size over the 185?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

I have the exact same tires on my bus for the past 5 years, love them, quiet, handling is great especially with a lot of camping gear. Excellent in the snow . Check out my Instagram Mahady Surfboards and you'll see all my camping trips as well as my conversion of my 71 bus to a late model westfalia
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

I also have those same BFG's and love them. Check around though, they may have stopped making them in this size.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

Car tires are fine so long as they are in the properly rated load range. Tire technology has greatly improved since these vehicles were first produced. now there’s many size options open to us that will more than safely support the weight of a bus. Heck my GLK weighs more than my 69’ bus and uses low profile car tires.

A 94XL rated tire will more than cover a bus. Tire sites like tirerack actually have filters for weight ratings so you can see what all is available to you.

Also this site: https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Is a handy tool for comparing stock sizes against what you’re thinking of going with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

And the 195/65/14 size is a little weak in the knees (load index of 91).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

I see no reason not to stick with the 185s
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I also have those same BFG's and love them. Check around though, they may have stopped making them in this size.

I can't find these anywhere online. So probably discontinued?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

Quote:
Car tires are fine so long as they are in the properly rated load range... A 94XL rated tire will more than cover a bus.

Not true. Virtually no car tires have sufficient load rating for a Bus. If the tire is not LT rated (doesn't say LT on the sidewall) you'd need a load capacity of 99, not 94. See http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/ for our article on tire safety. Tires are not a smart place to cut corners. They are your last line of defense in the event of a panic swerve or collision avoidance, and can vary greatly in terms of wet and dry traction even if they do have an acceptable minimum rating. Cut corners elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

Ron,

Can you advise on the difference between the 185's and 195's that you offer on your site? While I usually prefer stock setup, I'm thinking in this case the bigger the better.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
Car tires are fine so long as they are in the properly rated load range... A 94XL rated tire will more than cover a bus.

Not true. Virtually no car tires have sufficient load rating for a Bus. If the tire is not LT rated (doesn't say LT on the sidewall) you'd need a load capacity of 99, not 94. See http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires/ for our article on tire safety. Tires are not a smart place to cut corners. They are your last line of defense in the event of a panic swerve or collision avoidance, and can vary greatly in terms of wet and dry traction even if they do have an acceptable minimum rating. Cut corners elsewhere.

Virtually no car tires? Hilarious. I guess I better go run out and put LT load rated tires on my GLK then Rolling Eyes

94XL rating is more than sufficient for a bus. Heck 98XL easily covers a Vanagon. Don’t believe me? Here OP go talk to someone who specializes in tires/adaptors/wheels/etc for Vanagons and not some reseller who copy pasted an outdated article about tires: http://www.t3technique.com/

I find it comical that you only come in here when your name comes up in some thread and pretty much ignore customer direct contact on your site concerning defective parts. Or I guess it was my fault that the rear bus hub was machined off center Laughing

Tire technology has vastly improved over the years. Still claiming that a tire overrated for the weight of a bus, which for practical purposes isn’t all that much heavier than a vast majority of suv’s out there, won’t be able to handle it in some emergency situation is laughable. A tire company would be litigated to death if that was the case...Firestone’s anyone?

OP, there’s links to tire suppliers for what you’re after in here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278&start=3660 Better to go to a tire supplier not some 3rd party reseller.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

The more I dive into this the more I want meaty off road tires. While the BFGoodriches seem to have been discontinued, I found the 27” General Grabbers to be very similar.

I could not find that sticky thread about tires, instead I found threads on offroad buses.

Any more info would be appreciated. The bus is in the shop now for wobbling - they reported that the rear tires have become egg shaped! So I have to find a set fast.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

"New technology" does not change the laws of physics. Load ratings are load ratings and a pound is still a pound. A tire from 20 years ago with a 94 load rating and one from today with a 94 load rating handles exactly the same weight.

Yes, the specs and details on our tire safety page are copied/pasted ... from specifications provided by Volkswagen/Germany and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If you know of a more qualified expert than Volkswagen themselves on what tires are safe on their own vehicles, then please tell me. (Also I've never seen any expert recommend a load-index 94 tire for a Bus or Vanagon. I'm curious where you found that data.) Those retailers that recommend underrated tires usually sell underrated tires, so they have a profit motive. We choose not to sell tires that do not meet Volkswagen and DOT minimums. But many people will, so if you feel comfortable with it, it's your decision.

Lastly, we never ignore a customer with a problem. If you didn't get a reply to your email then it must mean we didn't receive it. If you could email your details to [email protected] I'd really appreciate it.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Ron,

Can you advise on the difference between the 185's and 195's that you offer on your site? While I usually prefer stock setup, I'm thinking in this case the bigger the better.

The difference is very small. The 195 will fill out the wheel well a little more. It's about 1/2" taller and 1/3" wider. All things being equal (meaning identical tread, rubber compound, etc.), a taller/wider tire will have slightly better dry-road traction at the expense of wet-road traction, slightly better top speed, and of course slightly more ground clearance. But in this case the size difference is so small that it's almost negligible. Right now we have both for about the same price because there's a deal on 195's. At that price I'd call them the better deal if you like the look and the advantages, but I can't say you'll notice a huge real-world difference.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:

I could not find that sticky thread about tires, instead I found threads on offroad buses.

Tire sticky
It is in the FAQ but under “Brakes and tires” so if scrolled to the “Ts” that’s the wrong spot

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Better to go to a tire supplier not some 3rd party reseller.

Do you not think that a "tire supplier" is a 3rd party reseller? I would guess that the boys down at Discount Tire have never seen a bus up close.

In my experience, tire sellers want to more than anything sell tires. Not correct tires, necessarily -- just sell tires. I've witnessed many instances where a tire shop has tried to sell me (and others) on incorrect tires. They move whatever provides them the greatest margin on sales, or whatever they have in stock.

Ron is selling the right tires. My only problem with what he said is that it's your decision what tires to put on your vehicle. I agree only to the extent that you are putting some flavor of correct tires on. If not, you are endangering others as well, and I am not OK with that.

And if you have a beef with BusDepot, take it up on the vendors thread.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
a1steaksauce wrote:
Better to go to a tire supplier not some 3rd party reseller.

Do you not think that a "tire supplier" is a 3rd party reseller? I would guess that the boys down at Discount Tire have never seen a bus up close.

Not only do we sell more RA18's than anyone else (which also means our tires will tend to have newer date codes), but we were the ones who convinced Hankook to start selling its predecessor (the RA08) in the States to begin with. I met with Hankook at SEMA about 20 years ago and practically begged them to bring them in, having tried them myself on my own Bus. Hankook saw no market for them here since VW Buses are such a small market. They were literally bringing in a dozen at a time as "trailer tires" and I was selling all they had. It took a lot of convincing to get them to believe that "if you build it they will come." (Not that they will ever be Hankook's top seller. Smile )
Quote:
Ron is selling the right tires. My only problem with what he said is that it's your decision what tires to put on your vehicle. I agree only to the extent that you are putting some flavor of correct tires on. If not, you are endangering others as well, and I am not OK with that.

Point well taken.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

fwiw very few buses in the 1970's had commercial tires. Almost any tire shop would sell you a passenger car tire, maybe even a whitewall. That said, it is a good idea, especially with a camper interior or hauling weight to have LT tires. They help in the wind quite a bit - at least there is a difference in the wind on my 1977 with Hankook tires vs the 1971 that had whatever the tire shop had in stock at a good price.

Not that it is a bad thing but everyone went nuts on you have to have the right tire and pressure after all the Ford Explorer roll overs.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
"New technology" does not change the laws of physics. Load ratings are load ratings and a pound is still a pound. A tire from 20 years ago with a 94 load rating and one from today with a 94 load rating handles exactly the same weight.

I’m not arguing the laws of physics, never was.

Simply put I have 94XL rated tires all the way around on my camper bus and loaded down for camping it weighed in around 3,000lbs on the scale, me included. So please tell me again how dangerous it is that I have an ‘extra load/reinforced’ tire rated for 1,477lbs at each one of the four corners? This goes double for my GLK that has a weight over 4,000lbs and is running an XL rated tire. Guess Mercedes is pretty clueless and should be putting a LT tire on it Laughing Rolling Eyes

I’ve never, nor will I ever, advocate anything other than an XL rated tire in the proper load range for a bus. But we sure has heck don’t need an LT rated tire with a 99 load range to be safe.

Oh and the Vanagon 98XL recommendation is plastered all over their tire threads by countless people who have and do run that weight rating without any issues.

Busdepot wrote:
Lastly, we never ignore a customer with a problem. If you didn't get a reply to your email then it must mean we didn't receive it. If you could email your details to [email protected] I'd really appreciate it.

Already did two direct emails from your website that received no response. So thanks, but no. Add to that I already scrapped the incorrectly machined hub. and the other new hub I also bought had an incorrect diameter that was causing the seal to leak grease out so that went in the scrap bin as well. so I’m back to using my beat up original hubs that are working just fine, just not as pretty Laughing

But fear not, your site has parts I can’t find elsewhere and I recently dropped about $500+ for the rear bus bike rack among other things.

Last edited by a1steaksauce on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
In my experience, tire sellers want to more than anything sell tires. Not correct tires, necessarily -- just sell tires. I've witnessed many instances where a tire shop has tried to sell me (and others) on incorrect tires. They move whatever provides them the greatest margin on sales, or whatever they have in stock

Whoever was doing that was 100% in the wrong and opened that shop up to huge lawsuits.

I’ve had exactly the opposite happen. Twice I’ve been turned away because they didn’t have the proper spec tire for my vehicle in stock.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires on a Westy? Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
In my experience, tire sellers want to more than anything sell tires. Not correct tires, necessarily -- just sell tires. I've witnessed many instances where a tire shop has tried to sell me (and others) on incorrect tires. They move whatever provides them the greatest margin on sales, or whatever they have in stock

Whoever was doing that was 100% in the wrong and opened that shop up to huge lawsuits.

I’ve had exactly the opposite happen. Twice I’ve been turned away because they didn’t have the proper spec tire for my vehicle in stock.

Since the Ford Explorer roll overs no reputable shop wants the liability of mounting the wrong tire.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: