Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to figure out what this is and if the disconnected terminal should be back on there, or if it was done deliberately by one of the PO’s.

84 Westy with 1.9 and gowesty aux battery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any ideas? Thank you as always.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

At the risk of boring y'all, I am going to repeat and refine an earlier question (this is just for the non-WBX crowd which may account for the lack of uptake):

Has anyone ever removed a dipstick tube (the part that goes into the block/case, that receives the dipstick) and how did you work it? Is it just a steady pull? Obvs i don't need to lube the O-ring, as it's weeping oil which is why I am in this situation. But are there any surprises? Just a straight lift? I could just leave it there, degrease and the surrounding area, and silicone/RTV it. But I'd rather not tempt fate.

I wonder how long this has been leaking and how much oil I have lost over time. When I replace the O-ring, I may take a belt and braces approach and RTV it as well: recommendations welcome. I might also look at a different tube entirely, maybe one that allows me to check the oil from the license plate hatch.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

As one who has swapped out his engine, I think I can help. I have an AAZ, and if this is the style of engine you have, then this will work.
Yes, just steady pulling while rotating back and forth. The tube is press fit with an o ring.
As a tip, check your oil cooler as well. At the moment, this is where my weeping is coming from.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

84WestyHobbes wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out what this is and if the disconnected terminal should be back on there, or if it was done deliberately by one of the PO’s.

84 Westy with 1.9 and gowesty aux battery

Any ideas? Thank you as always.

Look like the (broken) part of an auxiliary eberspacher heater.

black box on the left:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1879362
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Odd_Dutch wrote:

Look like the (broken) part of an auxiliary eberspacher heater.

black box on the left:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1879362

That’s it, makes sense! Thank you!!!!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
As one who has swapped out his engine, I think I can help. I have an AAZ, and if this is the style of engine you have, then this will work.
Yes, just steady pulling while rotating back and forth. The tube is press fit with an o ring.
As a tip, check your oil cooler as well. At the moment, this is where my weeping is coming from.

It's an ABA but I doubt our economical friends at VAG used many variations here. Pretty sure I have found the leak…the heat exchanger/filter flange is dry but the indent where the dipstick mounts is generally full of oil and will soak through a rag in short order, even after cleaning it up.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have a (real) stupid question:
would it be possible to buy body panels, doors, etc, weld them together and basically build a van from scratch?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I have a (real) stupid question:
would it be possible to buy body panels, doors, etc, weld them together and basically build a van from scratch?

I seriously doubt that you could source all of the members needed to make a body new.
There would be a LOT of fabrication on site.
But Yes it could be done if you had the skills.

My Cousin here in NJ specializes in Old British units. I've seen him start with a few rusty field find pieces, he rattles off that its a "1940 whatever, only six were imported into the States" and then he creates an entire car from it.
Yes, he uses parts he can source in the States or from Europe but what he can do with scraps of metal is just shy of miraculous. An aging craftsman........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

So... it's not impossible. The most difficult part might actually be getting license plates for the van.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

IoWesty wrote:
As the story goes, Bill Gates would always assign a "lazy" person to a difficult problem. His theory was that the "lazy" person would find the easiest solution.

That’s why you use the Start button to stop your computer
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ok, real question here for an AAZ motor:
What is this, and where should it be?

[Admin note: non VW pictures are deleted from the gallery]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Ok, real question here for an AAZ motor:
What is this, and where should it be?

[Admin note: non VW pictures are deleted from the gallery]

Hmmm, did I just miss out on some samba mystery and intrigue? (Yes, that is a lazy person's stupid question.)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:

So I opted not to try removing the dipstick and just lathered on some Seal-All® as recommended by the counterman at my FLAPS. Short drive today and there was some oil on top of the new shiny seal which refocuses my attention on the oil filter/heat exchanger which seems to be a little oily where it joins the block. I need to take a longer drive after a targeted cleaning to see if that's the cause.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nobody? Anybody?

Link

Here it is again:

We've made it back from Italy, but just barely. Max speed was 105kph, and if I gave it any more gas, it would just spew black smoke out of the tailpipe. I REALLY need some help with this. I'll do a full write up tomorrow about what I've done, what I've tried, and how it worked out (SPOILER: it didn't!).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Nobody? Anybody?

Appears to be a stud of some sort. I'm not familiar with diesels, but perhaps these will help narrow it down:
http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,28133.0.html
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342668
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I randomly found this in my garage under the van. Does it ring any bells? 84 Westy with a 1.9 wbx. I took a long look around underneath and couldn’t see a possible spot.

Thanks in advance.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Looks like a luggage rack screw?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Seat bolt. Check your seat rails in the middle (or where they should be).

Last edited by Team WorldTour on Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
84WestyHobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

For the bench or for the front ones? I can’t seem to find it. Will look again. Thank you!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

michaelbteam wrote:
Looks like a luggage rack screw?

It does look like that: I can't see if the business end is tapered but maybe see if one has gone missing.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 193

Jump to: