Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mahag 1951 Standard Micro
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I thought it was time to create a thread for our new project. This is a 1951 Standard Micro that my good friend Jeremy and I recently purchased from Ben in the U.K. Reading his stories of some of his builds and also Capriacci's 51 Micro is what inspired us to want to take on this project and get it back on the road.
I have to thank Ben for all his efforts and help rounding up parts and arranging the shipping. I have never bought a vehicle and had someone go that far out of there way to help facilitate so many things.
We wanted to create this thread because we have a lot to learn about this bus and I hoping to get any info to help us preserve this bus and get it back on the road. Our goal for this bus is to preserve what is left of it and keep it as original as possible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

So the first thing we are trying to do is figure out what the original colors are for this bus and see how much original paint and solid metal is there. I thought for sure it was a L22 (Medium Grey) , L23 (Silver Grey with a L82 (Silver White) roof since its a 51 but after spending some time sanding on it we are convinced it is a L221 (Stone Grey) bus. there is a color below the belt line that looks like Silver Grey but its a cheap paint that is not quality old German Glasurit paint. Does anyone know much about Stone Grey ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Such a great bus! I hope you enjoy sorting it out

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

its also very possible it was delivered in primer, and the strong grey paint you are finding is that.

monster bus, but also monster project! keep us updated!
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Sled,
We were thinking it was a factory primer bus for a while because the birth certificate says color unknown and I honestly wasn't familiar with L221 until Jeremy showed me that color chart. But the places that have burned thru shows factory primer and it is a different shade of grey.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Matt Devine's 52 Deluxe is the same color:

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
I thought it was time to create a thread for our new project. This is a 1951 Standard Micro that my good friend Jeremy and I recently purchased from Ben in the U.K. Reading his stories of some of his builds and also Capriacci's 51 Micro is what inspired us to want to take on this project and get it back on the road.
I have to thank Ben for all his efforts and help rounding up parts and arranging the shipping. I have never bought a vehicle and had someone go that far out of there way to help facilitate so many things.

Very happy to help Donny Wink

Really cool that you've started a thread, and I look forward to seeing this rare old beast resurrected. It's a particularly cool bus and it definitely found the right home.

All the best with it. I'll be watching Popcorn Cool
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

I agree on the colour by the way. I'd assumed it was a primer supplied "brown & brown", but the evidence points to you being correct.

The birth cert should state the colour or that it was primer supplied. For it to say "colour unknown" is just an omission of information, and therefore of no use.

L221 steingrau / stone grey would be correct for a Type 22A barndoor standard, albeit way less common than brown & brown. It's fantastic that you're digging deep to get this correct. Most people would have just painted it L75 / L76 light beige / brown beige!

Cool that '50 & '51 standards had the grey interior panels too. Later barndoor standards went to beige, but an early, grey bus with grey panels is going to look awesome Cool
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:

Ive seen that Grey 23 for years at shows and its always been my favorite 23. I always assumed it was a factory primer bus.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

ok so you have my attention. Best of luck with the build. Can't wait to follow!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

Ive seen that Grey 23 for years at shows and its always been my favorite 23. I always assumed it was a factory primer bus.

I could be remembering wrong as it's been years but I believe he told me it was originally the normal Sealing Wax Red/Chestnut Brown.

I definitely like the look of it in all "Primer"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Everett,
A couple people have told me that L221 grey on grey was on 1950 and early 1951 bus's. Is there any pics on here of any original Standards to reference?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
Everett,
A couple people have told me that L221 grey on grey was on 1950 and early 1951 bus's. Is there any pics on here of any original Standards to reference?

I can't remember ever seeing a pic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

It is hard to find any reference to the early standard microbus colors, either in period literature or in current information on the interwebs. Neither Barndoor.dk or thesamba.com lists the colors in their color charts. Both sites are wrong in their omissions of this delightful color scheme.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

rxBusboy wrote:
Sled,
We were thinking it was a factory primer bus for a while because the birth certificate says color unknown and I honestly wasn't familiar with L221 until Jeremy showed me that color chart. But the places that have burned thru shows factory primer and it is a different shade of grey.

Isn’t it common to have a few different color layers of primer? It seems like you’ll find varying shades of grey primer, black primer, red oxide primer. I’m sure this helped in the blocking process.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
rxBusboy wrote:
Sled,

Isn’t it common to have a few different color layers of primer? It seems like you’ll find varying shades of grey primer, black primer, red oxide primer. I’m sure this helped in the blocking process.

yes, as seen in this photo, the paint chronology goes very dark grey/ medium grey/ light grey/ medium grey/ light grey/ top color. it obviously has many layers of paint on it, and ascertaining which is the OG top layer may be challenging.

rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input on this bus. I thought the only options of color for this bus was L22Medium Grey/L23 Silver Grey/white roof but any paint on the bus is completely different than normal original paint and poor quality. Thats what makes us think the bus was originally L221 stone Grey or just primer.
Heres a pic of the birth certificate that came with the bus.

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

sled wrote:

yes, as seen in this photo, the paint chronology goes very dark grey/ medium grey/ light grey/ medium grey/ light grey/ top color. it obviously has many layers of paint on it, and ascertaining which is the OG top layer may be challenging.

I agree with Sled that it looks like it was medium Grey/ Silver Grey like AB 51, and the red '51 standard sunroof.

I have yet to have seen a standard before '52 in light beige/ brown beige

Either way, that is an awesome bus and I can't wait to see it hit the streets of the IE
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Cool bus! I'm not sure about the stone grey? I know it's listed in the paint codes, but I have yet to see one. Hard to tell from the pic, but could still be Medium/Silver Grey. I assume you're aware of this '51 delivered in primer...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579649&highlight=1951

Matt's '52 Deluxe referenced above was originally red/brown.

I also have a '51 Standard in Medium/Silver Grey, but it has a few coats of fire red paint on it and have never done much paint archeology.

Good luck!!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahag 1951 Standard Micro Reply with quote

Popcorn

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: