Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bice bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, it's a bay, but it does appear to have Bice bumpers. Never seen that before. It looks like at least the front one was made to fit a bay front shape.

You think that style of front bumper is bay specific ? Will it fit a splittie, as far as the profile ?

Pretty sure it won't fit very well. A split valence has a very different curve than a bay.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

I found this recently, and I'm thinking this might be for a bay.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
I found this recently, and I'm thinking this might be for a bay.

What makes you think it is for a bay? Do you have a stock split or bay bumper to lay on top of it for shape comparison?

The mounts look just like split mounts, but there are brackets missing I think. It has been awhile since I have had a Bice to look at.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Only from looking at the pic of the blue bay. That bumper has the three handles on it too, but does appear flatter than the one in my pic. Plus the steps are not diamond plate....just thinking it's a later design (?).
Don't have an extra bay bumper, I suppose I could figure out the profile on my 57, or just set the bumper upside down and check it. Yes, it is missing the 2 upright brackets.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Would love to purchase a set of Bice bumpers if anyone has a set for sale (or thinking of offing them). I know they aren't cheap, willing to pay!
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Pomona Swap Meet score. Pretty exited to install this set on my panel. The front is a little tweeted and the rear has some flat stock welded to the outside "to strengthen it up" the seller said. I'm not sure if I want to replace the missing steps and license plate holder or do something custom. I'm definitely going to add a receiver and beef up the brackets to be able to tow some weight.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

it always amazes me people actually like these things Laughing
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

sled wrote:

I like them for a few reasons. they don't work up like tin foil when you get rear ended and a can easily be modified to make a hell of a tow package. I get that there not for everyone thought.

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
sled wrote:

I like them for a few reasons. they don't work up like tin foil when you get rear ended and a can easily be modified to make a hell of a tow package. I get that there not for everyone thought.

how often do you get rear ended? With them being so strong, they're just going to bend the flimsy rear frame rails of the bus.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Dustin B wrote:
sled wrote:

how often do you get rear ended? With them being so strong, they're just going to bend the flimsy rear frame rails of the bus.

I'm planning on boxing the rails and making it strong enough to tow some real weight. Mainly strong enough to haul another VW.

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
sled wrote:
Dustin B wrote:
sled wrote:

I'm planning on boxing the rails and making it strong enough to tow some real weight. Mainly strong enough to haul another VW.

Don't bother with the frame rails. Tie it onto the torsion tubes if you want strength, just like factory accessory split bus tow hitches. Do the same up front (tied to the front beam area). And fab a receiver hitch hole into each end, then you can maneuver a trailer with it attached to the front of the bus. handy.

I am not a fan of their look either, but on a commercial bus they can work.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Dustin B, I assume you have seen this post from earlier in this thread.

cdennisg wrote:
swervyjoe wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
woodslat wrote:
Still no desire to even look at them UNTIL I saw how much bumper carnage a good Shasta can do.

Have you seen the pic of the bus with a rear Bice mounted that was recently rear-ended? The bus did not fair too well. The bumper was relatively fine, as I recall.

That was mine. Yeah, the bumper held up well. That energy has to go somewhere and the frame is a lot thinner than the bumper...

Looks like the bumper is just fine. I'm not convinced I would want that frame and body damage over a twisted up stock bumper after something like that. I'd be curious to see what sort of body/frame damage could happen to the front of a Shasta bus with a Bice front bumper.

This truck had a front Bice when it hit a Railroad tie fence corner at highway speed. The bumper was twisted, but I sold it and it got put back into service. The truck got cut up.

Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Dustin B, I assume you have seen this post from earlier in this thread.

cdennisg wrote:
swervyjoe wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
woodslat wrote:
Still no desire to even look at them UNTIL I saw how much bumper carnage a good Shasta can do.

Have you seen the pic of the bus with a rear Bice mounted that was recently rear-ended? The bus did not fair too well. The bumper was relatively fine, as I recall.

That was mine. Yeah, the bumper held up well. That energy has to go somewhere and the frame is a lot thinner than the bumper...

Looks like the bumper is just fine. I'm not convinced I would want that frame and body damage over a twisted up stock bumper after something like that. I'd be curious to see what sort of body/frame damage could happen to the front of a Shasta bus with a Bice front bumper.

This truck had a front Bice when it hit a Railroad tie fence corner at highway speed. The bumper was twisted, but I sold it and it got put back into service. The truck got cut up.

yeah I seen it. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if anyone hits you above a certain speed you'll get some substantial damage. I'm just hoping to avoid and damage at low impact situations. People driving with sell phones in traffic is a huge problem in socal.

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Yes, it's not about safety. It has become about how much damage is done to your bus if the shit hits the fan.

As has been mentioned before, if you want safe, drive a modern appliance.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I tell people when they get in my bus and find I don't have seat belts.

62 og paint L469 type 1

I <3 Brazilian busses

mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

These are my two rears. I just picked up the non tow equipped more common one on Saturday!
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

The one on the left for a bay ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

No Sir, Both of these were removed off of late 50s single cabs.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

Still hot for a set of Bice if anyone has one or a set they are tired of...
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bice bumpers Reply with quote

For what I've seen these selling for, I'm surprised nobody with a plasma cutter and welder hasn't fabbed some from scratch. It's not rocket surgery.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: