Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

So...this is interesting/intriguing and a warning for others..

I bought 2 OEM style steel wheels (4 lug) for my 69 Type 1 from Summit...primed them, painted then cleared them..looking nice..

Then I go to mount my new hubcaps on them and..yeah no way, tried some grease etc and it wasn't even close..

I tried to modify the hubcap and no dice.

So then I researched a little and apparently you have to use a special hubcap from CIP1..well OK ordered those and same deal..slightly closer but no luck.

Looking at the wheel it looks like the nubs on the rim are longer than the stock ones (which look like a small bump).

So long story short..NO HUBCAPS MADE..will fit on these VW Beetle steel wheels...

DOES ANYBODY..know what modifications need to be made to make any hubcap work?

I'm thinking of grinding the nubs down.

Please any input would be great
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

I bought 2 stock wheels from cip1 and the hubcaps fit -

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6622%2DMB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know if it' worth trying to return the Summit wheels or not.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

What does Summit have to say about them?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
SpoolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Yeah apparently CIP1 sell's 2 different brands, one has the **NOTE: These hubcaps must be used..as stock one's don't fit** (with a link)..me thinking "hey maybe the alt hubcaps would work with the ones I got"..but nope....

Seeing as I have the wheels painted and tires mounted I didn't want to have to buy new ones and do it all again..

There has to be a way to modify the rim to work

Why would they produce wheels that no hubcap fits... Question
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Aftermarket.... 50% fits 40% of the time. Rolling Eyes

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpoolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

This is more like 0% fit..if I could get any to fit I'd be happy.

I wonder what the issue is?..seems like a super simple process..the rear OEM's fit every hub caps like butter..

DAMN...so it's gonna be buying new one's, priming, painting, clear and unmounting and re mounting tires all because the freaking numbs are miss-manufactured..llllaaarrrdd...help us

Summit discontinued them...seeing as I painted, mounted etc. they wont return..HA
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

If the problem is diameter you could try cutting a slit 6 or 7 mm's long at a 90 degree angle to the mounting surface at 4 equidistant points along the rim.

I'm reaching I know, but...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
If the problem is diameter you could try cutting a slit 6 or 7 mm's long at a 90 degree angle to the mounting surface at 4 equidistant points along the rim.

I'm reaching I know, but...

I bet they will rust just from moisture in the air once you cut them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Yeah, aftermarket crap parts often end up eating a lot of spare time, patience, $$$, etc. *sigh*

Maybe try carefully grinding down those "nubs" on the wheels a little, bit by bit, until you can finally get the hub caps to pop over them? Just an idea -- might be worth a try...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

I suggest finding a set of good used 4 lug wheels. That should take about 30 seconds.

Media blast them then powder paint them and move on to the next project.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

I totally agree with Glenn on that -- fastest and cheapest way (in the long run) is almost always to just "do it right" the first time. You can pretty much rest assured that OEM stock wheels in good condition are going to fit and work exactly as intended. But aftermarket parts -- who knows? It's a complete crap shoot with lot of that stuff...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Since we're talkin'. What is the best was to pound hub caps on without denting them?

I have the correct tool to take them off.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Assuming you have later stock wheels, you get them somewhat seated on three nubs, then use your palm to tap the EDGE of the fourth nub down.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

I had good results w/these from CIP1. Maybe I was part of the luck "50% 40% of the time."
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6622

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Since we're talkin'. What is the best was to pound hub caps on without denting them?

I have the correct tool to take them off.

I've got stock wheels and hubcaps on mine, and find I can press them on with palm of my hand -- no pounding required. Like Tim said, you get hubcap started on 2 or 3 of the wheel nubs, and then push on remaining edge that's still sticking out. Does still require some significant oomph / strength in the pressing hand, though, before they finally pop fully into place.

Stock hubcaps are relatively thick and hard to dent by just pressing with your hand. Aftermarket ones possibly thinner though, so probably have to be more careful with those...

ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Do you know who manufactured the rims for Summit, maybe contact them for replacement...

Rick
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

You may be able to use the center hub and lug nut covers as used on late base model Mexican Beetles. I believe several suppliers sell them.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Aftermarket steel wheels..ABSOLUTELY NO HUBCAPS FIT?!?! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can try plastic chromed center wheel caps too.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: