Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Looking good. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to do the corner vents. Your method seemed to work pretty well.

Thanks, I am not really going for pretty.... Very Happy Hoping to look good at 20' and slow or stop the rust.

I could reach some of the lower chimney when my rear corner and battery tray were cut out, I should have mentioned that. The drivers side tray and corner remain intact so I could not reach as far upwards.

I thought about cutting a few of the vent bars out to give me a bigger opening, but decided to try the long screwdriver method 1st. I felt like I got good coverage with the brush on Rust Converter. I guess I could have tried to spray it. And really good coverage with the Eastwood rattle can stuff with the long hose and diffuser nozzle that comes with each can.

Careful on the overspray with this stuff. use solvent quickly, once it is dry, it is NEVER coming off. Which I think is a good thing.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I have a can of the green stuff to treat some internal areas, hadn't thought about using it here though. When the blaster comes out to do the undercarriage and interior floor I'm going to see if he'll blast in there to save me some time. I wish Id thought of it before I welded in the battery trays but hindsight is 20/20 and all that.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
I have a can of the green stuff to treat some internal areas, hadn't thought about using it here though. When the blaster comes out to do the undercarriage and interior floor I'm going to see if he'll blast in there to save me some time. I wish Id thought of it before I welded in the battery trays but hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

I should have gone with the mobile blasting guy too. He had never done a bus and suggested that I raise the shell up 4', so he could get under easily. That is where I changed directions. I should have built or bought or rented a rotisserie. I would be much further along if I had. Like you say, hindsight is 20/20 or "maybe on the next bus project" Laughing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The installation continues. 1 bumper installed. 1 blinker installed. And now one torsion bar!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

As luck wpuld have it, i broke a bolt on the passenger side torsion cover. New rubber bushing did not want to go on.

So i had to move to the driver’s side. Torsion bar is in and measured properly: 23.8degrees dead nuts on the bentley number. Both sides exact. Finally something went well. Trailing arm is attached, bearing and clips are ordered.

Had to buy a 90 degree drill attachment ($20 at Lowes) to get a bit straight on the broken bolt. Oh yeah i broke the extractor and a couple bits and it is still not out.

Got some super sharp bits to try tonight. Drivers side is on Tho.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Something for the weekend work has arrived.....

I am going to install, or attempt to install an engine hatch from a +73 bus.

87 spot welds held the upper skin to the box frame. Now I need to trim the edges of this junkyard cut piece.

I am thinking if I cut my deck pretty much between the spot welds then cut this one to match, I can drop this right on top of the existing box frame.

The only difference in my box frame and the one I cut out is the line of spot welds on the far right, 2nd row in is dropped down about 1/2", so the frame in the bus now is slightly taller on that row of welds. Gotta figure that out or this sheet won't "drop-in" nicely.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I just moved to Murfreesboro. Let me know if you need a hand Cool
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
I just moved to Murfreesboro. Let me know if you need a hand Cool

good to know. I am actually east of Nashville in Mt Juliet. I just met, and collected a few parts from Colton in Spring Hill. Glad there are a few bus fans in Middle Tennessee.

Clark
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Added the seal to the hatch. And used the rattle can rustoleum gloss white. Very Happy Looks good from ten feet. 2 more small things to do.... one of the rubber inserts for the latch loop is missing. Probably can find something next time I wonder thru pull a part. and then there is the insulation for the cavity under the door. I can maybe just use it, or maybe use B-Quiet when I do the rest of the bus.

And then I moved on to re-assembly. Got the rear suspension done, both sides. I'll add the new brake shoes and move to the front.

I hate to admit it, but it always happens. I have to do things 2 or three times.... same here. I put the drivers side bearing housing on the passenger side. did not notice, till I went looking for torque settings and how to on the backing plate. Oh Well.... fixed and done. 3 times to get 2.

Almost everything new here. Bearings (the expensive ones too), seals, lugs, lug nuts, suspension stops, backing plates, wheel cylinders, 1 star adjuster, shoes, brake hardware, shocks, torsion bushings, 1 new castle nut.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The lever in the shot below is in the wrong hole. Since that is the only hole the pin goes in, I figured that was it. But the hole above where the pin is is correct.... FAIL it is too small to accept the pin. The right side of the lever is sitting on top of the swedged in pin.... FAIL #2

Brake shoes kinda pissed me off. The swedged in post was too fat and too short. the holes for the lever were not the right size either. I sent them back and for about $100 I got everything I need for 74+ rear brake shoes to be installed. THe levers and shoes are a bit different.

While I waited I messed with the heat vents for the rear....
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Rear brakes are on.... used 1974+ hardware and shoes. The 72 shoes needed too much modification to get the 72 hardware to fit.

Had trouble with the hand brake cables too. FCPeuro.com had 2 part numbers that fit a 72... I chose poorly. got my $ back, ordered the right ones, then found a nice set in the PO's box. Used them.

NOT 72

YES 72

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Bentley was right. Without the proper TOOLS this front axle could really hurt you. But a soft pad in the cup of the floor jack and the perfect balance and I got it by myself.....

Bentley also suggest to "TILT" it before you torque. I assume they mean the top. It kinda pre-loads the bolts in the holes so the braking action of the bus does not loosen the bolts. Kinda strange too: the wide range torque setting is 60 to 95, IIRC. I went with 75.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Not a lot of progress in 10 days. But I have installed the torsion arms and beginning to attempt the steering knuckle. Some of the delay was because I had not cleaned and prepped the torsion arm nor had I installed the ball joints. But the big delay was That I thought I lost the eccentric bushings. Turns out I had put them in the box with one of the ball joints.

I now highly recommend the clear Ziploc bag method.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I also installed the front lights. Headlights, low lights. I’m not sure why but the adjustment rings make the headlights turn about 5° looks kind of weird up close. Not to mention the large gap that is left on one side.

Another time killer was the hardware for the trim ring of the headlight and for the adjustment ring attachment hardware and the low light lens attachment hardware. It’s all available but just text time.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Blasted and Powder Coated.

I did the bumpers and the fresh air vent in Rustoleum Smokey Grey. So i gave these guys a sample and they matched the powder coat.

They also had this ready to blast. 6/1970 convertible. I saw very little rust or previous repairs on this. Just the battery area was a different color and had some welding done in the past. Very Jealous.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

passenger side brakes and suspension are done. moving on to the drivers side.

The top torsion bars are splaid about. I tried the tape method, but it just did not feel right. So I cleaned it up and used a pipe clamp to even all the bars up then welded it.

And as usually the top torsion arm was a big fat bitch to get on, but I did it, and did it by myself with very little room between the bus and the garage wall.

The bottom one slipped right on. So I will do the steering knuckle tomorrow.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Installing the pedals and shifter. Only picture I have so far. Re-assembly is going slow. and as usual, I have to do each part 3 times. I finally figured out how the ball, pin and tiny spring go together. Also took a couple times to get the big spring assembled correctly.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The pin looks like it has not rotated in 47 years. two sides are worn, as well as some slight wear on the slot the pin rides in. The spring as wear on one end. I am just guessing, but I think the wear came on the end away from the head, so in the picture above, I have the wear near the head.

Neither the PIN nor the SPRING are listed as VW parts in the Bentley or Jersey Looker microfiche. The short shaft is probably not available as new either.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Interested in what you find the fix to be for this. My shifter(s) have suffered the same or similar fate and I'm real annoyed with it. I once tried squeezing the socket closed a little bit with my vice, but that didn't get anywhere.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Interested in what you find the fix to be for this. My shifter(s) have suffered the same or similar fate and I'm real annoyed with it. I once tried squeezing the socket closed a little bit with my vice, but that didn't get anywhere.

My 1st plan is to see if a hardware store had the pin and small spring. Only idea I have on the "cup slot" is to maybe use JB Weld. Which I am sure would wear off. The pin slop in the gap really does not look too bad to me. Maybe a mm on each side.

If I come up with something, I will chime in here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: