Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

So I have a new to me 61 that I took out tonight and pushed home. I let off the clutch from a red light (nothing crazy, but a fun start) and a loud clunk came from my rear end. On each rotation of the axle there is a heavy bind and clunk. In neutral the car rolls just fine, but from motor power I get the crazy clunk and it'll lock up and stop. For what it's worth it's a 180 how 2387 with a 3.88 ring and pinion and super diff pro street box. If it helps I can try to get a video, I'm just hesitant to run it again. I know it has stock axles so I'm thinking and hoping it's those or the fulcrum plates. I've mostly had stock bugs so this is a new one to me. Thanks!!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Also, it's a solid mounted transaxle that really hasn't been lowered much.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Below is a link to a video of it under a load. You can see/hear the clunk a bit under the noise of the motor.

https://youtu.be/9Z9m4Vn4xtI
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

First thing I would check on is torque on both rear axles.... People sometime don't torque them properly and it will allow a axle to spin inside brake drum (eats the splines) and it resemble a broken axle or some other no-go situation.....

Axles should be torqued to 217 ft-lbs, and go tighter till castle nut aligns with hole in axle shaft for cotter pin...

If that does not resolve situation, yes you will need to go deeper...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. I'm going to dig into it tomorrow. The only thing that really concerned me is that a a certain point in the rotation the car won't even move. I'm really hoping it's not inside the gear box, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Had you driven the car before?
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Yeah. I've only owned it for a week but I've probably put 50 easy miles on it around town with no noises or issues. I've been searching the forums for similar symptoms with no luck.
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

So the drums were pulled and retorqued, all is good there. While it's up on stands I'm turning the drums while it's on gear and all is smooth turning. I'm lost. I'm guessing I need to pull the motor and see if maybe in the bell housing? I doubt it is, but that'll be needed if I need a new trans I guess...any guesses?
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Does it do it at all in reverse? Say if you reverse far. Sounds like diff area or axles to me. Also sounds like loose nosecone but that wouldn’t explain the binding
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Same in reverse. I have it in reverse and spins nice and smoothly....I'm lost
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Well still no luck but just got the motor out. Not the way I wanted to spend my first week with a new car...oh well I'm able to clean up and do a few things better that I noticed before. I'll keep you posted!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Turning the input shaft with it in gear and a lock/ bind. Let's keep digging!!
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

The only times I have had something very similar it was the fulcrum plates at the axle spade.
One had fallen out of place while installing axle in the car. It was pushed up behind the spade.
It all went together as best I could feel with it in car. Like you say...seems to spin smooth by hand.
Car drove back and forth from the college a few times before making sounds simular yours.
Pulled the axle spade out and had crunched up fulcrum plates.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Look at the clutch and throw out bearing and the arm.
See anything there?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

yep, thats what I was thinking too, the fulcrum plate or spade end. Time to take the axles out
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

Ring and pinion or crosshaft for spiders is coming out. Have you drained the trans oil and inspected the magnet?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

I'm really hoping it's not the R&P, but we'll see. The chuncks from the drain plug are below. Hard to say what it's from, but they were torn apart pretty good!
scottf1887
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

If that is the case...any good transaxle shops in Central Texas that y'all know of?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help please! What are the symptoms of a broken axle? Reply with quote

I just shipped one to Bryan (?) Texas last month.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: