Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

To link to this thread copy and paste
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2[/url]

Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID

I have not been able to nail this one down. The Parts manual has conflicting information and I have not been able to identify the remainder of the splash pans?

quote parts manual
1968 To ch.# 219 000 001 Cover plate under pedal cluster (LHD) 211 703 611 C
From ch.# 219 000 001 1969-72 Cover plate under pedal cluster (LHD) 211 703 611 F
This indicates 1969-72 Cover plates are the same. But the following Pans that where reported to be taken off the said vehicle for 69,71,72 do not match?

1. 1968
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NOS

2. 1969

3. 1971

4. 1972

Last edited by Tcash on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 9 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 is Split Bus
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
#7 is Split Bus

Thank you. Deleted
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID Reply with quote

that's the one I was looking for thank you
Bulliwinkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

Having just gone through locating and installing the correct pan for my 1971;
#5 and #9 are correct for 1971 only.
#3 is misidentified and is not for a 1971.

PS: RV Butyl tape works great as a gasket for these.

'66 Velvet Green Riviera Camper
'72 Sierra Yellow Westy
'71 Chianti Red Westy ~Sold
'71 Pastel White Westy ~Sold
'61 Pearl White Sedan ~Sold

johnnypan wrote:
"John Muir was a hack mechanic who convinced thousands of people to attempt repairs they had no business attempting".
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

I have a 77 and my pan has the large hole in it. What was the purpose of that hole? Should I get a plug for it?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

The hole is for looking at the drag link joint as far as I can tell, no need to cover it unless you feel a need to.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

can anyone ID #11?

i have one like #11. I swear I pulled it from a 72. i really don't want to pull the one off of any of my busses (2 71's and a 70) but in theory, it should fit those as well.

any idea?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
can anyone ID #11?

i have one like #11. I swear I pulled it from a 72. i really don't want to pull the one off of any of my busses (2 71's and a 70) but in theory, it should fit those as well.

any idea?

Split bus, I think? I don’t think I’ve seen a bay pan with steering box cut out since they sit so much higher than a split

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403182&highlight=pedal+pan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:

Split bus, I think? I don’t think I’ve seen a bay pan with steering box cut out since they sit so much higher than a split

i think you're right. i will post a pic tomorrow. it for sure came with a 72 i parted...may have been in a pile of parts that came with it.

funny the stuff you come across when you are getting ready to purge

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
pjtaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

Can anyone post a picture of splash pan for a 1969 bay? I have found two different pans and both are wrong. Any info appreciated thanks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

pjtaxi wrote:
Can anyone post a picture of splash pan for a 1969 bay? I have found two different pans and both are wrong. Any info appreciated thanks

Yikes, I am also looking for an early '69 pan!

Was it like a slight difference that trimming could fix, or could it not be modified to work? I am looking for function, not necessarily 100% correctness.

Here is one on a friend's '69, but the camera angle isn't ideal to see how they might differ. And this is how it came when he bought it, so 100% correctness isn't known, though the patina and color match suggest it may be.

If you have pictures of the two you say are wrong, I might avoid the same pitfall.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

pjtaxi wrote:

Tcash wrote:

2. 1969

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
pjtaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

Thanks that last pic looks close to what I’m looking for. My rough measurements are 18 1/2 front 27 inches long and 27 across back. Looks like the back should have a angle flap won’t screw flat. Thanks again for info
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

So those two are different, but the overall size and mounting holes look the same. Some trimming should make either work, I would think.
They both look like the one I pictured, though the details aren't evident and may be different.
I printed this and will compare it to any I consider.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

In a pinch a later one will fit an early bus, but the rear edge has nothing to attach to and dangles in space, not a big deal if the rest of the fasteners are in good shape.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

Most of the 68-69 mounting holes match up on the two pans in the photo above. They install fine on their early early bretheren, but I've occasionally had to trim 1/4 inch or so off of some corners. Good to know about the late pan danger option. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

I have a 71 bay window and I lost the bolts that hold on the front splash plate.
I might be able to find some bolts at the hardware store but don't know what size and type to look for. Other possibilities: Tap the holes out for a slightly larger set of bolts if you can find a decent tap. That old German steel is tough.
Thanks Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

nanometer wrote:
I have a 71 bay window and I lost the bolts that hold on the front splash plate.
I might be able to find some bolts at the hardware store but don't know what size and type to look for. Other possibilities: Tap the holes out for a slightly larger set of bolts if you can find a decent tap. That old German steel is tough.
Thanks Sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Слава Україні!
nanometer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cover plate under pedal cluster (splash pan) ID T2 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
nanometer wrote:
Thanks Sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Just what I needed busdaddy. Thank you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: