Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

A company in (I believe) Texas is now offering Bus bodies made/assembled from pieces stamped in China. An assembled demo body (minus doors and a few other sections) for display purposes was on display in Effingham,IL this weekend at the Mid-American Motorworks VW Funfest weekend. All spot welded together and in bare steel too. This "demo" body was a high hinge earlier sharp-cornered speedo pod dash, Deluxe sunroof shell with a Deluxe rear hatch but curiously did NOT have corner window panels (the corner metal was window-less). From a quick look and with no discussion with the rep, I don't really have an opinion on quality or accuracy of the repro metal or body. I took a few pictures and may post some later. This may have already been discussed, but I couldn't find any discussion in brief searching. Interesting, but not really to me... "If" affordable, I suppose someone with a horrible un-restorable Bus body might want one to rebuild around their old chassis number...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

No pictures?
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Everything aside: weird they wouldn’t make it a 23. Like if they had the option to choose.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Yep! The one in the foreground was the one at the Funfest show this weekend.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I would have to guess that the corner windows were left out because the only rear corner panels they had available were solid. Thinking they were pressed for time and used what they had on hand to get something together for their product display.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

This is going to cause another hit in the value of true originals and an increase in value to vin plates and matching mcode plates.
Any prices from this company?
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

It will probably bring down the value of Brazilian buses, but enthusiasts looking for the real deal will always pay more for the real deal. Just as clones are not valued the same as an original bus, and cut panel campers are not valued the same as a Westfalia.

It might also open the bus scene to some wild customs, which people hold back on because of the value of original buses.

People have talked about full body reproductions for a while, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they have finally popped up.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

The name of the company that supplies the body panels is Golden Star.

https://goldenstarauto.com/Categories.aspx?c=60

From what I've read, parts are being pressed in Taiwan. I was surprised how many parts they had available as I had never heard of them.

Restoration Design, who manufactures and supplies Porsche sheetmetal is very near having all the panels to complete a Speedster in steel. Pretty neat times we live in.

I'm curious if the Single Cab or a Crew Cab is available and what the cost is for the complete Bus? I would most definitely be interested in buying and using and early truck. This would really fill the void of an economical utility vehicle with standardized parts and simple repairs. Kind of like the Bus originally was before the madne$$$.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Again, I never spoke to the on-hand rep for the shell, but others said (so this is hearsay) a shell might be around $20-25K, again just a rumor. Perhaps someone from the company will pop on here and answer questions...

A few of us who looked at it were not that impressed initially or chomping at the bit to buy one, or even to ask for more info. Take that however you want. But we are all owners of the real thing(s), and quite nice ones too, so perhaps we aren't the target audience for this new product...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Is it just me or is that thing missing a certain critical piece of metal at the front? No, not the nose skin.

The vast majority of the "panels" used to assemble that, are readily available from common aftermarket super stores. Safe bet is they are using 90% of those.

Also, it would appear to me that they aren't taking the marketing seriously by the choice of shows to offer up their prize.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

No torsion housing?
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder how this will affect Gerson's business.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

That drivers side upper b-pillar looks like it needs a bit of work. Maybe just a trick of the light?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
No torsion housing?

I can see it in the last photo
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Jegs sells their truck parts for CHEAP! I wonder since they are just drop shipping the parts what VW parts availabiltiy and prices they offer.

Is it just me or do they look like WW panels?

Last edited by AlteWagen on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Just exactly where, as in country, is this thing going to be sold AND registered? Confused

There’s many reasons why a lot of “new” vehicles are not allowed at least in this country. Eh?
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

this is weird, just weird, what a strange business model. hard to say from pics on quality. I agree with bulliklink on the truck thing though Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

this is so odd. a customer of mine(of India background) showed me how a company in the US makes imitation Jeeps and sends them over to India. Spitting images.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/03/mahindra-roxor...-a-diesel/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

So how would this be registered? I mean, they make brand new "1969" Camaro complete shell reproductions so there must be a way. And does the title on those say 69, or is it registered as whatever year some dude orders it and puts it together in his garage?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: