Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:
Drove Doug the '60 Bug over to "Nataz" restaurant in North Branford, CT yesterday evening--great food and BYOB--works for me! Rather dim ride back home later in the evening, though, with those *6V* headlights, ha ha!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dude I love that color. What color is that?
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Little stuff, fixed the handbrake ratchet so I don’t have to put a bottle of water under it to apply the brakes and fixed the turn signals work!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

smeag wrote:

L346 Mango Green
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

smeag wrote:
Stock Steve wrote:
Drove Doug the '60 Bug over to "Nataz" restaurant in North Branford, CT yesterday evening--great food and BYOB--works for me! Rather dim ride back home later in the evening, though, with those *6V* headlights, ha ha!

L346 Mango Green! Thanks!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
smeag wrote:

L346 Mango Green

Thanks Mukluk--just saw that you answered the question.
-----
-----
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:
mukluk wrote:
smeag wrote:

L346 Mango Green

Didn't want to steal your thunder, but it'd been a couple days since the question was posted so I figured you had missed it. Your '60 is still one of my favourite cars on here.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Stock Steve wrote:
mukluk wrote:
smeag wrote:

L346 Mango Green

Didn't want to steal your thunder, but it'd been a couple days since the question was posted so I figured you had missed it. Your '60 is still one of my favourite cars on here.

THANK YOU!

I love your '60 also!!!

-----
-----
-----
-----
Thanks Veterans
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:

I popped a couple of 6V halogens into my '63. Makes a nice difference.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Went out to start my new 1965 Bug and no go. Checked had fuel, starter was spinning, have air, that only leaves spark. Cleaned connections. Threw the charger on the battery cleaned the points and connections in the cap. Tried her again and still no go. Well beer 430 rolled around and I may have cleaned the points, but I didn't set the gap. Another beer and set the points, cranked right up. Guess I needed some brew to wake up the grey matter. Alls good now. No I didn't go driving after the brews.......Ha
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put on some mud flaps. Gave up on finding zenith blue running board mats for now so went with satin blue. State inspection and good to go. This 67 has been in hibernation for a few years but now that I’ve sold my split she’s been revived. Keep on keepin on!

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.

Last edited by far rider on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FirmHandShake
Samba Skateboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

It was over a two consecutive weekends, but I still want to share. I replaced the brake pads, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, brake lines, front wheel bearings, and rear main seals. I installed a 4” narrowed beam, drop spindles, and 2.5” drop spring plates. I’m super stoked how everything turned out.

Before:

After:

smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Fat Rider, thats a nice clean '67

FirmHandShake, it's looking nice. Good to see another Floridian here.

As for my latest my fuel line grommet was toast. I have a new one, but until I pull the line to replace the rubber. I cut a 3" section of fuel line split it and I'm using that to shield the metal line from the tin. It actually gives it a bit more protection. This coming week is an oil change and valves.
Deathwishbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Dropped the rear a couple more inches
Put on some new hub caps
Installed blinds and a chrome basket to hold my coffee. 😋

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Not much done here. . .just another 52 miles of commuting . . . in the sunshine with the ragtop open . . . Very Happy

Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I bought some of those China-repro 15x5.5 smoothies from one of the "hot" California parts houses, that came finished in a nice gloss white, and with hub cap clips already in place. I had my local garage mount & balance the set of 195/60R15 BFGs that I had been running on my other car, and finally put them all on Doug the '60 Bug this past Saturday, 6/22/2019. The clips were NOT happy accepting hub caps, and even though I spent some time tweaking all of the clips, I still lost a hub cap driving to a cruise night on Sunday 6/23 in Derby, CT (where I had a nice photo-op with a '66 Bus from New Haven). I kinda like the "Herbie" look that the fat wheels & RWL tires give the car. Might have to get a couple of temporary "53" gumballs for the doors...

-----
-----
-----
-----
Thanks Veterans

Last edited by Stock Steve on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Marktt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I tied the stupid way to remove a wheel bearing and ruined my axle hardware in the transaxle. Not a pleasant outcome.
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I've been thinking I really need sun-visors as I'm driving into the sun on my way to work, and on my way home as well. I found the mirror for holding the correct visors. There were 3 visors and and the correct rod without visor on it when I bought it, all in very sad shape. 2 were for a later bug that bolted to the outside corners, but I didn't want to use them ... to make a long story shorter, I ended up making a pair from 1/4" fiber-board, they are very ugly, so then ordered a set from JBugs ...

I also drilled the dash, opposite the ignition switch and put in a power port (actually a cigarette lighter housing) which I put in a USB charger for my phone. I have a Bluetooth receiver under the back seat so I can listen to my music ...but what will really drain my battery, is an app on my phone for a gps speedometer ... my speedo seems to be fairly accurate, + or - about 5mpg but I feel better having the app running.
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I restored the dealer plate frame that came with a new Super Beetle that I bought in 1972. Don't have the car anymore (but I wish I did) so I am using it on my 1966 Sea Blue bug. Found some Testors model airplane paint that matched the original very closely.
smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

My Bug had a big day. Replaced both tie rods and the steering damper with WW parts. Greased the front end. My right side king pins wouldn't take any grease. I pulled the zerks and they were clear. There must be some super dried up grease in there. I'm the 3rd owner. The 1st guy had it 50 yrs in a collection. He passed away and owner 2, I don't think did much in the way of maintenance. So I think I may have been the first person to have greased her in some time. Also while I was under there I noticed the rubber seal at the top of my master cylinder had a good leak starting. So I have one of those and new brake hoses on the way. If any of you guys have a trick to get the grease into the king pins without tearing them apart that would be great.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I gave up on clutch cables and drain augers and drilled holes at the elbows of my intake heat tubes.

Off to buy an 18" long, 1/4" drill bit, and some JB Weld to finish the job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 289, 290, 291 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 290 of 317

Jump to: