Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - grumpysmetal.com
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Grumpy's Metal
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 18, 2024
JDV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoring the sunroof on my deluxe, and have been using vwsunroofs for all my parts. Just wanted to share my experiences. Any interested with using them for their sunroof parts can do so with total confidence. John is a pleasure to speak with on the phone. He is the total resource for anything for your early canvas sliding sunroofs. Communication is always informative and patient. John has gone above and beyond to get me the me the parts I needed even when it meant pulling it out of his personal stash. Thanks John!
9secschwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my 51 3 fold assembly completely restored by John. All I can say is WOW Exclamation Completely powder coated, all new correct hardware, and all the necessary pieces to completely install.

I also bought new split correct rails and they are exactly the same as my originals.

He is very professional and delivered on the date promised. Cool
CactusCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Negative feedback!!!! Reply with quote

I had John do some metal work on my bus and let me say it was the longest and worst experience I've ever had with a shop. Repairs were sub standard and will need to be fixed or re done.Very frustrating dealing with John and I felt like I really had to whip him to do anything on my bus. He had my bus 4 years!!!! And did not finish it.
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the complete sunroof soft parts rebuild kit today. Communication was easy and the parts came fast.

Really impressed with this kit. Has all of the small parts and everything looks like the same/correct types of materials that the original sunroof had. Very nice!

I will be ordering more from them in the future. Great job!
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the 3 rail soft parts portion of the kit and they fit perfectly. Each rail was about 10 minutes to get back together, everything lined up right away and was a smooth assembly.

Each rail is really stiff and I bought the longer 'easy glide' sliders. Looks like they won't twist and bind like my older, worn out rails would do when opening the sunroof.

Couple of pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vag0000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks !! Reply with quote

I just got an awsome deluxe molding for my 1960 single cab , made by Grumpy's Metal. Thanks Mr. John , always great attention and communication.
And about molding , it is really awsome, great quality , excellelet materials. They exeeded my expectations , also great price . Just one of the greates in service , quality . I' m very thankful with Grumpy's Metal (Mr. John ) , i hope to to business with you again . Thanks Applause Applause Applause Applause
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my deluxe trim, sunroof and belly pans today. Easy communication and fast shipping. The belly pans look great as well as the sunroof (looks like it came from the factory). But I need to say how happy I am with the deluxe trim.

I've installed the new deluxe trim from someone else before and Grumpy's trim is already so much easier to install and better quality right out of the box.
ALSO - the long piece isn't bent in half like the other companies! Everything came in a really long, unbent box. pre-drilled and all pieces are pre-bent. This is a huge deal when installing this compared to the other stuff which is not pre-drilled or bent.

The biggest plus are the rear corners. It's not just a 90 degree bend, but the top has a little shorter bend than the bottom. This was the hardest thing to tweak on the 'other guy's' trim. Grumpy's got it right. Here are photos of the box and a 30 second fit - already fits!

jeffgagnon Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been buying from john for about 3 years now and i just want to say that he is a good guy to work with, and his product are all very nice, I've bought 4 of his complete rag top assemblies and have not had a problem with any of them, no matter if i put them in his metal, gersons metal or an original top, he takes pride in his work and it shows in his products.
i have bought on of his roof kits, and was very happy with it. i just recently purchased a set of his belly pans and also a set of his deluxe trim, and again his products are perfect in my opinion. the belt line trim is nicely polished and the fact that he takes the time to have all the holes drilled and countersunk is awesome
keep up the great work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grumpy's Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fizzbang"]Received my deluxe trim, sunroof and belly pans today. Easy communication and fast shipping. The belly pans look great as well as the sunroof (looks like it came from the factory). But I need to say how happy I am with the deluxe trim.

I've installed the new deluxe trim from someone else before and Grumpy's trim is already so much easier to install and better quality right out of the box.
ALSO - the long piece isn't bent in half like the other companies! Everything came in a really long, unbent box. pre-drilled and all pieces are pre-bent. This is a huge deal when installing this compared to the other stuff which is not pre-drilled or bent.

The biggest plus are the rear corners. It's not just a 90 degree bend, but the top has a little shorter bend than the bottom. This was the hardest thing to tweak on the 'other guy's' trim. Grumpy's got it right. Here are photos of the box and a 30 second fit - already fits!

Applause Applause Thank you, Thank you-- I am always trying to produce the best product I can. It really doe means a lot to hear customers say good things about the vwsunroofs.com products and the Grumpy's Metal work.

Thank all you guys for posting this stuff and telling other people about the products we make.

John

Have you visited GrumpysMetal.com Lately?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John TC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John sent me parts for my sunroof and all fitted as if they were NOS

He also made me a sunroof in the colour I wanted. Fitted like a glove and looks great

cheers John thanks
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my 2nd set of belly pans from John for a 1959 bus.

Ordered from the website on Tuesday, notified they were shipped out Wednesday, had them on Monday.

Pans look great like the last set I received, safely packed.

Thanks!
Resique
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ragtop from John and I can highly recommend him as a seller.

Prompt payment and excellent communication
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Positive Feedback Reply with quote

Leaving positive feedback for John. The polished trim is outstanding! They are very well packaged and communication with John has been very quick. The parts did take a LONG time before they got shipped but he gave me a substantial discount for the inconvenience. Taken care of business. I will buy from them again.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
microbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John/Mandee did me a huge favour and got my parts to Canada in 3 business days.. great customer service!
Thanks again
Richard/Dubsport Inc
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - vwsunroofs.com Reply with quote

Is vwsunroofs.com still around? I cannot seem to find a functional website for them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - vwsunroofs.com Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Is vwsunroofs.com still around? I cannot seem to find a functional website for them?

It looks like it automatically redirects to http://grumpysmetal.com/ now but that is the same business.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grumpy's Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - vwsunroofs.com Reply with quote

Hey Guys Thank you for the positive feedback

For the record we are now using https://grumpysmetal.com/

I have installation videos and a bunch of new products

Thanks again to all my customers and especially to you guys that post feedback telling the community about Grumpy's Metal

Thank you

John AKA Grumpy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - grumpysmetal.com Reply with quote

I just received a set of Grumpy’s Deluxe Rocker aluminum trim. The quality is incredible. I compared it to my original rocker trim and it’s spot on, dimensions and profile.

The only difference is the set I got from John has no chips of aluminum missing and is polished to a high shine, unlike the original ones I have that are beat to hell and have major scratches on them.

After seeing the quality of the rockers, I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying a set of his trim to go around the entire beltline. Incredible product, with fast, secure shipping.
Grumpy's Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Grumpy's Metal - [email protected] - grumpysmetal.com Reply with quote

Hey Thank you for the positive feedback.

I've been spending my life to build quality products and it's great to hear when someone likes it.

Because the factory used a super soft aluminum the original set will never look as straight and be as brightly polished as ours. We use a 6000 series, it's rock hard and we CNC the parts with all the slots and cuts so it repeats ( the German guys at the factory didn't have that technology)

Thank you again

John
ps. If there is no objection I'd like to place your review and a link back to this thread on https//grumpysmetal.com so other customers can see the reviews of the product

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: