Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

that interior is exquisite!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Simply gorgeous.

What color/pattern cushion upholstery are you going with? Lighting?

The original dome lights are powered form chassis as factory and from conversion system that will be dimmable. Diodes isolate the systems. Side lights over the table will also be dimmable. Haven't found a light I like so may build them. Also will be a hidden connector in the engine compartment for outside lights and dimmable as well. Dimming will be done with pulse width modulation so works will LED and saves battery.

We are going with an orange for cushions. Not sure how it will look. We plan to make new covers later if we find something nicer. We really like the blue curtains so will keep them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Seats are almost done. One part installed anyway. They are getting smoother as time passes. Going to be much better than towels stuffed in the springs

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Out of the shop and washed today. Smile

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

That thing looks perfect within a sixty fourth of an inch or the metric equivalent. Did you paint your wheelbarrow with the same paint?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Did you paint your wheelbarrow with the same paint?

Haha. No. Looks close in that light though.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Seats finally done.

I sewed the drivers backrest bottom corners. I looked at the original rings and couldn't see how they were going to hold the cover nicely. I could clamp then on now that the cover is held in place... I think I will do that actually.

A few sunny days in the bus will smooth them out though I am very happy with them now. The cover quality is very nice.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Got them in after work just before the heavy rains hit. Officially drivable again. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

First run of the year. So much fun to drive.

Love the seats. They have bounce now. Smile

Body is super quiet. Still quite a bit of engine noise but putting the cushion in will help a lot. Drivers door only unlatches for the inside sometimes so need to adjust that. Engine lid unlatches while driving sometimes. The latch was very bad and I made a spring for it. Should get a new one.

OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Beautiful!
'65 Honda Dream
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Ordered these LED bulbs form aliexpress to try in my signal indicator. My flasher supplies + to indicator. I find the indicator not bright enough in the sun and the new flasher is very quiet so hard to tell if the signal is left on.

If you search "BA7 LED bulb" you will find revers polarity bulbs also.

Will report back when they arrive... usually 2 to 3 weeks form aliexpress but sometimes 2 mouths.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Stan,

Your bus is looking great. Those seats came out superbly. You must be glad to be hitting the road again this year. In Maine we know that when the snow finally melts, it's time to start getting ready for winter again. Use those nice days while you can. I hope that you are still planning to come down for the BBB campout in September. The black flies and mosquitoes should be gone by then. I look forward to seeing your awesome bus in person!
Have fun,
Dave
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Stan,

Your bus is looking great. Those seats came out superbly. You must be glad to be hitting the road again this year. In Maine we know that when the snow finally melts, it's time to start getting ready for winter again. Use those nice days while you can. I hope that you are still planning to come down for the BBB campout in September. The black flies and mosquitoes should be gone by then. I look forward to seeing your awesome bus in person!
Have fun,
Dave

Thanks!

Yes, nice to be driving it now that it finally stopped raining. Away for a few days but hope to get back to the bus on the weekend.

We are doing a 2 week road trip to Ontario with it. Leaving last week of July so need everything finished by then. Quite a full summer of bussing planed.

Panning to be at BBB. I need to find info on that though.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Stan,

Have fun,
Dave

Thanks!

Yes, nice to be driving it now that it finally stopped raining. Away for a few days but hope to get back to the bus on the weekend.

We are doing a 2 week road trip to Ontario with it. Leaving last week of July so need everything finished by then. Quite a full summer of bussing planed.

Let me know if you make it to southern Ontario. Bus looks great!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

Let me know if you make it to southern Ontario. Bus looks great!

Thanks!

We will spend most of our time in the Kingston area visiting daughter with overnight trips out from there. No real plans so could end up about anywhere if she gets tiered of us. Smile
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
Stan,

Have fun,
Dave

Thanks!

Stan,

VVA has the info on their Facebook page. I am not on Facebook, so I rely on the news letter and fliers. If you need info, I will get it to you.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Went to a car show today about 2 hours away. Almost all highway driving.

Hot day and no shade. Nice inside the bus though with the good breeze going through.

Very heavy head wind on the way home. 90 kph was as fast as was comfortable with the wind blowing us around.

Engine bay is covered in oil now. Starting leaking around the T I added for the oil pressure gauge. It leaked on the last long run last year but not on short runs. Now that I am confident of the oil pressure it will be removed. Oil didn't go down much. A little oil makes a big mess. Smile Time for an oil change anyway.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Keep the pressure gauge. Wrap the offending tapered oil fitting threaded connection with 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 wrap of the Teflon pipe tape to get it to seal up. More wrapping than that and the sender will get no electrical ground thru that connection.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Well the oil sender leak turned out to be an oil cooler leak. Pulled the engine to make sure I didn't need to order anything.

Found a nut jiggled loose. New seals and new lock washers and an oil change. Back in and no leak. Smile Should have adjusted the valves while it was out but forgot.

Little more than I planned to do this evening. Want to do a run tomorrow night so...

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Good to hear it was an easy fix! Hopefully you degreased the cooler so it will cool better.

Even better would to upgrade to dog house cooling system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 50

Jump to: