Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Good catch! Those hoses actually seal best when the metal and plastic fittings are inserted farther into the s-boot. They have a “ridge” on their circumference (visible in your photo) that has a matching slot in the s-boot for sealing, and to make it harder to knock those hoses loose. Wink

If your s-boot is still supple you may try fully inserting those pipes all the way with a nice twisting motion. If the s-boot is hardened, like almost all of them are, consider a new s-boot from Airhead Parts next time you are freshening up anything in the engine compartment. (GeeBee’s boot is nice too but lacks the slots. Wolfsburg West’s boot doesn’t fit at all.)

See you on the road!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Good catch! Those hoses actually seal best when the metal and plastic fittings are inserted farther into the s-boot. They have a “ridge” on their circumference (visible in your photo) that has a matching slot in the s-boot for sealing, and to make it harder to knock those hoses loose. Wink

If your s-boot is still supple you may try fully inserting those pipes all the way with a nice twisting motion. If the s-boot is hardened, like almost all of them are, consider a new s-boot from Airhead Parts next time you are freshening up anything in the engine compartment. (GeeBee’s boot is nice too but lacks the slots. Wolfsburg West’s boot doesn’t fit at all.)

See you on the road!
Robbie

Awesome, thanks for the tip!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Beef_Wallington wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

See you on the road!
Robbie

Heating the boot and lubricating the nipples can help get the nipples in to the correct depth. YMMV
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

Heating the boot and lubricating the nipples can help get the nipples in to the correct depth. YMMV

So many wrong things with this...
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

Why bother to post if you supply zero evidence to support your statement?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

Why bother to post if you supply zero evidence to support your statement?

Apparently the joke fell flat.

"thanks for the tip" and "Lubricating the nipples"

Heading back to the attic...
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What did I walk into? Haha. Nipples..

Sorry. ok:

airkooledchris wrote:
These are the guys actually doing the work. I might be inclined to reach out to them directly instead:
https://fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Def. going to look into this, many thank yous airkooledchris

Stupid question time. Going to put new push rod tube seals in my 78' 2.0L EFI, and while ordering on BusDepot, saw Pushrod Tube Retaining Clips, and wondered if they are necessary. I don't think mine has them, and I cannot find any pictures of them installed on engines. Should I buy them? Is it worth it?

http://www.busdepot.com/021109339

Thanks SS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

Stupid question time. Going to put new push rod tube seals in my 78' 2.0L EFI, and while ordering on BusDepot, saw Pushrod Tube Retaining Clips, and wondered if they are necessary. I don't think mine has them, and I cannot find any pictures of them installed on engines. Should I buy them? Is it worth it?

http://www.busdepot.com/021109339

Thanks SS

Yes, they are hard to spot once installed, your Bentley has some good photos.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone have a good source for one of these? I love German Supply but I'd like to see if I can get it some where in the states for a faster delivery time.

https://germansupply.com/connector-pipe-gasket-kit-bus-75-78-vanagon-80-83.html#product-tabs1.

Connector Pipe Gasket Kit Bus 75-78/Vanagon 80-83

Thanks!

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, they are hard to spot once installed, your Bentley has some good photos.

Found it! Cool, thank you.... thought they went somewhere else

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m going to be spending a lot of time here. Rolling Eyes

Anyone know what this is? I found it sitting loose in the center of the inside of the nose of the van, in the cab. Upright as a ‘T’, behind the center column that I don’t remember what it does (my guess is air from heat exchangers?). Also looks like there is at least one hole filled with some sort of hard fill, not visible from outside.

Piece:

Location(ish):

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a backer for some sort of home brewed spare tire mount to me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like a backer for some sort of home brewed spare tire mount to me.

That was my first thought as well, and I hadn’t seen anything like it while researching anything but figured I’d consult the experts.. It was just kind of loose back there, so couldn’t have been THAT important haha
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My first thought was a home made bracket under the bus for a propane tank (or something similar) mount. Although it looks like a flat 'bar' section and not an 'L' section - so I'm sure my guess is an un-educated, incorrect one.
magbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Question Question Question
I recently acquired a 1977 Type 2 Transporter with a Type 4 engine, that has been converted to a carburetor setup. Confused The guy who had it before me clearly did not know what they were doing, nor did they keep track of all of the parts and hardware. I'm missing 3 of the four mounting nuts for the carb to the intake manifold, and I'm eager to crank this baby up!

Can anyone confirm the specific nut size for the mounting bolts for the carb (in this case) to the intake manifold? I'd very much like to ensure I've got the right nuts and do not strip bolts.

Thanks for the assistance! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

magbee wrote:
Question Question Question
I recently acquired a 1977 Type 2 Transporter with a Type 4 engine, that has been converted to a carburetor setup. Confused The guy who had it before me clearly did not know what they were doing, nor did they keep track of all of the parts and hardware. I'm missing 3 of the four mounting nuts for the carb to the intake manifold, and I'm eager to crank this baby up!

Can anyone confirm the specific nut size for the mounting bolts for the carb (in this case) to the intake manifold? I'd very much like to ensure I've got the right nuts and do not strip bolts.

Thanks for the assistance! Smile

Welcome!
Most of those adapter kits are made in Asia so I'd see how a M8X1.25 nut fits first, if it's clearly not going to thread on try a 5/16" SAE nut instead. Ace hardware likely has both.

Слава Україні!
magbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy!

I grabbed some M8x1.25 at Napa and they worked perfectly! Now to hook everything back up and hopefully, I've got a much easier project on my hands moving forward! Literally! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright, I was stupid and didn't bag the screws for my Unicorn shore power set up when I took it out of the bus to clean it up.

I didn't see one in the gallery and I didn't see one searching threads in the forum here, but does anyone have a picture of the unit installed in their bus (talking 1971 here)? I'm looking for a shot from inside the bus. I have three screws that I think are the right ones, but want to double check before I commit to them.

Thanks!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello, This may help.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Very much so! Thank you.

I do have the right screws... And need to just buy a box of ziploc for the garage.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 411 of 515

Jump to: