Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

????
LifeAsASuffix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Does anyone take this seriously?
Please, someone stand up and say “Yes, I’ve have my irreplaceable, priceless, uninsured, unsubstantiated and undocumented items stolen by reputable companies”
Maybe I’m wrong, but as a known Home Theter Desinger i smell something fishy.
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

LifeAsASuffix wrote:
Does anyone take this seriously?
Please, someone stand up and say “Yes, I’ve have my irreplaceable, priceless, uninsured, unsubstantiated and undocumented items stolen by reputable companies”
Maybe I’m wrong, but as a known Home Theter Desinger i smell something fishy.

It all sounded funny pages ago.

AMAC
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

I would expect to have to sort any type of kit car that was assembly by a team of different people.

$100K sounds like a lot of money but you are paying at least $80 for every hour of a tech's time assembling this thing and they assembled it from scratch.

I think your problem was expecting this vehicle to be just like a new car experience which it could never be. This car should have been in your possession at least 1 year before any filming to straighten out all the minor items listed. Not picked up a new car expecting to be ready for filming across America.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Sorry to say I have to disagree with you guys. If I paid a company $100K to assemble a fiberglass kit car, I would expect a road tested, sorted car I could drive right away. Of course I would also expect a couple of things to give out if my first drive was 3500mi (give or take), but maybe not to the extent Mr. Green describes.

That said, I sort of feel for the guys at Intermeccanica. Can you imagine dealing with this customer for a year? If a person is this demonstrably confrontational in a simple build thread, can you imagine as a long distance phone customer?

Mr. Green, at you suggestion, I did look up you and your art and I like it. You are obviously a talented and successful guy. Not sure why you find it necessary to be such a jerk online to anyone who dares take a counter view. FTR, yes, this is a (very nice) kit car, replica, tribute, but still a kit car. It is no more porsche than recreating a Yenko Camaro makes it a real Yenko. Also, yes, a rusted out, frame twisted original Porsche is still, in fact, by definition, a real Porsche.
JulesD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

100k buys a really really nice real 356 that actually runs well, brakes well and does everything else it has been doing for decades.

Door handles on mine have not fallen off in 60 years!

Sorry to hear about your experience with IM, that sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Reliability is the bane of the low production automobile. The amount invested in production cars to start in all weather, steer, brake, acceration and even have good working doors etc is immense.

Kit cars, one offs, replicas will always need a lot of time to sort. Something this project didn't have.

Still a nice car, and a commendable project. I just feel the complaints are unrealistic.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Question

This thread has been confusing since the beginning, now I am more confused than ever.

is the car good, is the car bad, or was the car bad before it was made good?

and if the latter is the case, what's the point of letting people know it one year after the fact?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

and if the latter is the case, what's the point of letting people know it one year after the fact?

I think the movie is coming out soon. #marketing

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:

I think the movie is coming out soon. #marketing

Laughing

weird marketing strategy...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

From the 356 Registry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

My dad came over from the old country back in the 50's with only a Leica camera and $100 bucks. He loved the early 356 and everything that it represented; a modern, sleek and revolutionary automobile unlike anything else on the road. Though he never got to own one, he had saved any articles that he could find from the 50's and 60's, cut them out and placed in a binder.

I found this binder after he passed away neatly resting in his office bookshelves along with all his photography and 35mm magazines.

He didn't do this for any other car. Just a German guy living in a foreign land with deep pride for what his old country could do.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Any photos go back to 1951 through 1956? Would love to see the earliest ones. Where were they taken? Any East Coast ones?

And to the rest of you, although I've said it over and over. I would not want a worn out 356. I would not want a restored 356. No interest at all. I've had them, so I got over it. Now a perfect unrestored 356 would be great. Know of any?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Eric Marshall Green wrote:
My 100k Intermeccanica in the first weeks of ownership (about one year today):

These issues happened from the time the 356 was delivered by Henry on a car carrier in Ventura, California where I flew in from Maine to pick it up and within two weeks of driving the IM across the country back home:

The special metallic paint I ordered ($450 a gallon) was sprayed over a two week period, so the car arrived in four different colors, thus its nickname Patches. Any good car painter knows when metallic is heated up to spray, it changes chemically, so each time it is a different shade. For the record, Henry refused to make good on any of the problems with my 356. Once he had my money, he turned into a different person. I’ll let you guess what kind.

The 1k new Coker tires were cracked severely, were unbalanced because they were so out of round they could not be balanced on a modern machine. The Stoddard wheels were also too large in the rear and rubbed the body. The front was SO out of alignment that the new Dutch tires (with new wheels) I was forced to buy and put on the car before starting the trip wore out completely on the outside by the time I got to Ontario. Try buying tires to fit a 356 in the far northern USA. (This has all been documented in the soon to be released documentary film: Quantum Run 356.). The fronts also rubbed when turned, but I managed to lift the front so it wasn’t too severe.

The CBP 2.1 l engine, which Henry guaranteed was their most reliable engine ran poorly. It backfired, stuttered, etc. About all it would do was accelerate. In long sections driving across the country I was forced to accelerate, then coast. This for hours and hours. Remember I had a full Animal Media film crew following me on a very tight filming schedule. When I finally found a good enough mechanic to work on the engine, we found that the plugs could not be removed without dropping the engine. Some weird shrouding metal prevented getting a tool to seat on the plug. To cap it off the engine caught fire after I managed to get it home. Would you call that reliable? I wondered what the non-flammable insulation was that fell down on one side, choking the already terrible running engine. So Henry must have known his engines can suddenly burst into flame.

First the windshield wipers stopped working on high. Then they quit completely in the middle of a severe downpour in Watertown, New York. An old lady turned across me and it was only by a miracle of intuitive reflex that I saved Patches.

The tachometer quit. The door handles kept falling off. This just seemed funny. The engine ran so rough it shook Patches to pieces. One of my favorites was the horn simply began to blow whenever it felt like it. Since I had insisted on Maserati airhorns run on a compressor, this became quite a thing in gas stations, etc. I might have killed one very old guy in a camper! Luckily I was able to rebuild the horn button on the road. Half the documentary film is either the car in garages or me working on it in parking lots. But what did I expect for 100k?

On getting back to Maine, I rebuilt the Webber carbs. I found wrong jets, which had been doctored crudely. All the adjustments were very wrong. After fixing the Webers and setting the valves, etc., the engine ran much better. So . . . now I know why the carb adjustment (fine tuning) bill I received from Henry for around $500 made little sense since it was dated when Patches was still in primer and six months before the 356 even had an engine. The list of fraudulent charges by Henry is too long and boring to list here.

The fact that Henry “lost” the Jaguar ignition switch that Sir Stirling Moss gave my father is another matter. But Henry’s changing stories on how the switch got lost were certainly entertaining.

My advice? If you want to actually drive your expensive IM 356—don’t! Hopefully your paint will match so you can at least stare at it.

For the record, I am Eric Green, the known American artist and writer from Belfast, Maine. Google me. Kelly Harris is a character in my novel LIVECELL. It is on Amazon with many reviews. Cheers from another delighted IM customer. Such a delight being part of the “family.”

The story is all here with photos. http://quantumrun356.com/2018/05/10/first-road-run-for-patches/

$100k doesn't get you much this days Sad Wink

Great looking car. Sucks that you had so many issues. Hopefully it's all sorted out, besides the paint I would imagine.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

That rant comes off as a "almost ran", the little man that points out the failures and faults of others while doing nothing to improve the situation.

Step up and be a man, seek responsibility and take responsibility. Quit complaining and move forward.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
That rant comes off as a "almost ran", the little man that points out the failures and faults of others while doing nothing to improve the situation.

Step up and be a man, seek responsibility and take responsibility. Quit complaining and move forward.

He mentions in his website how he fixed a lot of the issues as they crept up. I would imagine not the paint, of course, but a lot else he fixed enough to get the car back on the road. Great looking car. Cool adventure.
Eric Marshall Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

KInd of a funny ending to my 356 engine issues. In pulling the engine apart, I found a piece of crudely-cut-off rubber hose had fallen down one inlet port and left there. It was too large to fit through a Weber venturi, so it was definitely dropped inside with the carbs off. Nice, eh? But the engine runs perfectly now! Cheers.

Another reason to avoid IM like death. As if it were needed. I suppose the hose explains the extra $550 charge for "carb tuning." All I can say, "Gee, thanks, Henry Reisner."

Have videos of it running now and photos of the rebuild in our barn in Maine. Anyone interested?
Silver356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Mr. Green (alias Kelly Harris, check other website's and his Facebook page) is now shoveling from the same pile over on the Speedster Owners (replica) site.

He has made few friends there.

His car is an Intermeccanica 356 replica. In the 356 replica world Intermeccanica, has long been considered one of the best builders anywhere. They truly are beautiful bespoke cars built in their own factory in Vancouver.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for "his movie" to show up any time soon.

The cowboy hat he claims was just for the movie is part of his weird persona. He has been embarrassing himself in that hat for years and is fond of showing off pictures of him wearing a similar one as a younger man. He is the personification of what we used to call phony cowboys in Arizona..."All hat and no cattle".

We would love to give him back to you guys.......please.

He remains rude, condescending, narcissistic and boring. Come to think of it....you guys don't want him back, do you?
Montrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

In defence of Intermeccanica, I had Henry Reisner build me a Speedster. Throughout the two year build, he and I had constant communication, regarding specifications of the car, decisions that had to be made, design questions, etc., etc. I found him excellent to deal with.

I have now had the car for four years, and have driven close to 15,000 miles, without one issue. Perhaps I could find faults with the car, but I understood that these are handmade vehicles, not something coming off a modernized assembly line. The car was extensively road tested before I took ownership, both by Henry and by myself, and whatever little issues there were, were corrected at that time.

Intermeccanica builds good replicas, and that is that.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 I'm creating for the memory of my Father Marshall S. Green Reply with quote

Silver356 wrote:
Mr. Green (alias Kelly Harris, check other website's and his Facebook page) is now shoveling from the same pile over on the Speedster Owners (replica) site.

He has made few friends there.

His car is an Intermeccanica 356 replica. In the 356 replica world Intermeccanica, has long been considered one of the best builders anywhere. They truly are beautiful bespoke cars built in their own factory in Vancouver.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for "his movie" to show up any time soon.

The cowboy hat he claims was just for the movie is part of his weird persona. He has been embarrassing himself in that hat for years and is fond of showing off pictures of him wearing a similar one as a younger man. He is the personification of what we used to call phony cowboys in Arizona..."All hat and no cattle".

We would love to give him back to you guys.......please.

He remains rude, condescending, narcissistic and boring. Come to think of it....you guys don't want him back, do you?

We really need a like button here- and are you guys sure you don't want him back? 'Cause he's already worn out his welcome on SOC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: