Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Doug, we may need to find more exotic vehicles on which to ply our trade.

LOL, its been a fun ride!! I've been working toward exiting restoration work for several years. Still ambitious enough to complete several high pedigree rare buses that my best customers own.

The bus scene has definitely not reached an end......just watch what happens over the next 3 years. No I'm not going to expand on this.

Any of us that have been around long enough have witness the ups and downs of the market see the car collector car market is in a small slump, although, not completely across the board. The best, for purposes of this conversation, buses are still selling for BIG $$. The slump is due to a good economy, investors have MANY options where to spend money right now. The collector car market ALWAYS picks up during economic slow downs....people with $$$$ always have $$$$.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I don't think the new bus shell fits in the existing market but rather its going to create a new market, one where the customer has always wanted a bus but has zero interest in going through the restoration process whether it be on his/ her own or paying someone else to do it. Lets face it, nobody on this forum is going to buy one lol... not to say they aren't cool or anything but there are threads about correct styles of hose clamps for christ sake.

iamdonquixote wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

we are on the verge of the "model T syndrome" where what was worth 25-30k in the 80's can be had for 8-10k today. the guys who loved them are dead...same is happening here.

Consumer collectibles have this issue.
I don't think this will happen quickly, i think it will take 20 years for a 25-30k bus to be worth 10k. In the meantime, I still don't understand the business model for these replica bodies. Its not a new growing market, its a well established (likely shrinking) market.

How much does one of these bodies cost? and what about shipping it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
I don't think the new bus shell fits in the existing market but rather its going to create a new market, one where the customer has always wanted a bus but has zero interest in going through the restoration process whether it be on his/ her own or paying someone else to do it. Lets face it, nobody on this forum is going to buy one lol... not to say they aren't cool or anything but there are threads about correct styles of hose clamps for christ sake.

I bet there will be people here who look at their rusty piles of crap, evaluate how much funky green it's going to take, and decide to just cut out the VIN and weld it in to the new one instead of slowly reconstructing the whole thing.

And some people enjoy the process of slowly burning their money on a hobby they enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
I bet there will be people here who look at their rusty piles of crap, evaluate how much funky green it's going to take, and decide to just cut out the VIN and weld it in to the new one instead of slowly reconstructing the whole thing.

Step aside Brazilian Bus - VIN Donor is the new kid in town.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

yes! HA!

peecee69 wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

And some people enjoy the process of slowly burning their money on a hobby they enjoy.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

With a couple of scrap parts that can be traced back to a single vehicle it would be perfectly legal to build and register one of those in the UK as a rebuilt vehicle, with an original registration...
Quote:

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

>the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
>a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
>the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
>a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

>suspension (front and back)
>steering assembly
>axles (both)
>transmission
>engine

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles

The beardy, flat-cap brigade have been doing it for years with MGs using heritage body shells.

Maybe we should start a cottage industry shipping rust-free busses back to the states Laughing

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I love it. More split buses on the road makes me smile. Anything that lowers the prices of split buses is nice. That said, I really don't see how these can be finished to a decent standard for under $100K. Sure, the price of admission is low, but these will need everything except rust repair.

Does anyone know where there is a 15'X6'X6' vat of primer so we can seal up all the hidden areas like they did originally?

I do like how some people worry about the value of their buses. I don't care about their value, just how much the next one will cost me.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
That said, I really don't see how these can be finished to a decent standard for under $100K. Sure, the price of admission is low, but these will need everything except rust repair.

^this. Like the RHD barndoor posted above; sure, you have a shell, but even the correct air for barndoor tires will probably run you $2 grand.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
otis64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I have been restoring my SC for the past year, in the cold, in the heat and in every other element the earth can throw down. the time/bond, that I've endured with this god forsaking machine! is what makes these tubs live man! I have shed blood, burnt skin and have FREAKING cursed at this rod countless times, but I wouldn't trade any of that for any FAKE!…. Whew! I need to lay off the coffee. Anyway, back to welding. Keep it real folks! Keep it GERMAN! VW Logo
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious it is aimed at VIN swapping.
Think of what you are getting for $15k: a shell.
You are not getting glass, front beam, brakes, transmission, seats, all of the little bits and pieces of crap that simply cannot be bought off the shelf...to build one of these you have to have a donor to pirate parts off of.
So you buy a roached 21 and swap over all the running gear and little shitty bits you need, plus of course the VIN plates , cut out the the stamped section and weld it it, an viola you register it as a 66 21 window.
Or for less buy any number of roached panels or single cabs or standards.
Those fake speedsters you see everywhere, there's a reason why even the tube frame ones use a small piece of a bug tunnel.
$15k is a screaming deal if you think about it, a roached bus can often need half that in metal and that's not factoring in labor.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

People have been doing VIN grafts onto new bodies with popular American cars for years. Check out these 55-57 Chevy bodies. Same concept:

https://www.danchuk.com/9e52a2cb-2831-44eb-9c09-1f89ce6350cb

And frankly, repro bodies are like fake tits. If you can touch them, they’re real. But I would rather go home to an original.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I see them as a great opportunity for a customizer to go nuts. Great for the builder and great for the purists who bite a guy's head off for backdating to bullets.

At least more of the rusted, yet titled POSes out there will drop out of the classifieds and whine thread and perhaps actually see the road again- in the form of a born again 'completeable' bus.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Quote:
(we are on the verge of the "model T syndrome" where what was worth 25-30k in the 80's can be had for 8-10k today. the guys who loved them are dead...same is happening here.

everyone who wants one has one...those who think they could have cashed out for big $$ lost and should have sold when the market was hot...anyway I would still build one vs pulling some gutted carcass out of the woods. I don't know...I put a different value on things. got my first bus when I was 11...a 15 window for 150.00. I was never in in for the $$....some people however think they can retire off of this stuff

Yes the Model T syndrome did happen. But VW’s are a different ball game. Every 4 year old kid in the world knows what a VW is....this isn’t age related like the T was.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

The day has come Laughing
After the "fiberglass bus" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ss+replica
and with the prices for genuine 21/23 deluxe busses through the (sun Wink )roof, and many "deluxe replica options" on the market already (some good, and some not so decent), this was in the line of expectations.

It looks like so far there are only prototypes? So I guess we'll have to wait for a fully finished product to judge on the level of quality.
But so far I think it's pretty creative that they have managed to produce a full replica body of a 21 window deluxe. Although I wonder whether there is a big market for full replica bodies, with the Brazilian busses as a relatively cheap alternative to the original German busses already.
I also think that the whole investor's perspective should not be the main reason to get an old Volkswagen... you should enjoy it in the first place, and if it goes up in value, well then that's a nice side effect. The other way around doesn't do it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

You will have to have a VIN to get this on the road, otherwise its a 2019 model and you have to pass safety and emissions for 2019

Not happening.

In my state, possession of a separate VIN plate is a crime.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You will have to have a VIN to get this on the road, otherwise its a 2019 model and you have to pass safety and emissions for 2019

Not happening.

Unless your state has a law mandating a certain percentage of metal being orignal to the car to register it with its extent VIN, all you have to do is weld in the stamped section of an original bus along with the VIN plates and say it is restored using mostly new metal. It's exactly what they do with those fiberglass speedsters and as far as I know those are legal in most states.
Of course the carcass of the original would have to be cut up and junked or sold for donor parts. I Imagine in most states there I see a lot of wiggle room here.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
Quote:
(we are on the verge of the "model T syndrome" where what was worth 25-30k in the 80's can be had for 8-10k today. the guys who loved them are dead...same is happening here.

everyone who wants one has one...those who think they could have cashed out for big $$ lost and should have sold when the market was hot...anyway I would still build one vs pulling some gutted carcass out of the woods. I don't know...I put a different value on things. got my first bus when I was 11...a 15 window for 150.00. I was never in in for the $$....some people however think they can retire off of this stuff

Yes the Model T syndrome did happen. But VW’s are a different ball game. Every 4 year old kid in the world knows what a VW is....this isn’t age related like the T was.

It's apples and oranges.
Vintage VWs, even buses, are still usable on modern roads which a model T or stock A is not.
They are also part and parcel of modern culture. Like the above said even toddlers recognize a bus or a bug because they are present in pop culture.
The only thing that could slam the values is if the gubermint bans self driven autos,which might happen in the future.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

I'm seeing prices of $15K for the body with doors. Also read somewhere the possibility of SC's and DC's.

Or you could just get the Gerson model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

obus wrote:
this is so odd. a customer of mine(of India background) showed me how a company in the US makes imitation Jeeps and sends them over to India. Spitting images.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/03/mahindra-roxor...-a-diesel/

mahindra is in india and has an official license to build Jeeps for the india market

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Not happening.

if a company does not produce more than 350 vehicles a year it is perfectly legal to build cars and sell them. this was decided a couple of years ago

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: