Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus roof racks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Milanche77 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anybody now manufacturer?

It's a BeKoWa.... I have a similar BeKoWa rack.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Can anyone tell if that roof rack is a og Westy one or later repop? The bows have been zinc coated and the wood slats replaced at some point hence the tags are missing. If og, who can tell the year ? The clamps are obviously repop. Thanks ! Very Happy

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

How do you know the legs are zinc coated and not stainless?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Measure the height of a metal bow (from ground to top of bow, where it meets the wood). Measure the length of wood slat. Compare to values in first post, on page one.

The clamps look original to me... nice sharp bends on the sides.
The aluminum basket looks original.

See if a magnet sticks to one of the three bows & you'll know if it's stainless or not.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

The basket looks original to me as well

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philoo68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Measure the height of a metal bow (from ground to top of bow, where it meets the wood). Measure the length of wood slat. Compare to values in first post, on page one.

The clamps look original to me... nice sharp bends on the sides.
The aluminum basket looks original.

See if a magnet sticks to one of the three bows & you'll know if it's stainless or not.

Thanks ! I don't have the rack right now but have bought it sight unseen, being told it's quite original exept for the slats and clamps that have been once replaced some 20 years ago. The seller told the bows are zinc coated, or maybe galvanized (it doesn't look so) but og. By looking closer at the last picture, I can see some stain on the bow so I believe he is right. I don't think real stainless steel could have these kind of oxydation traces. I'll see next week. Good old repop are damn difficult to recognize from og Cool . I'd say it's a poptop rack not a subhatch.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I ran aloha racks for 20 years. A while back I gave the bus a face lift and took the Sundial Camper spare tire off the front and put it on the roof.

I used the Nice and Easy Rack for the gutter feet, honed out the crossbar holder so I could use Yakima crossbars. The "platform" was designed to be a minimalist place to put the spare, two 2 gallon gas cans and anything that smells.

If I center the platform I can get boards on either side. It can be lifted on or off by my wife and me. That said, II'm going to install a bicycle hoist to hold the rack in the air when not required. Drive in and drop the rack on, drive in and lift the rack off. Pulleys and ropes.

That's what I'm using now.

dgsaz

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Thats a sweet use of the Aloha racks.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

This is my current roofreck, which came of a 1968 T2A.
The clearance between the roof is zero! The front rafter touches the roof.

I upgraded my roof with a sunroof and this roofreck needed modification at first.
When welding and powdercoating is done the reck will be outfitted with wooden slats.

What i want to know is the following:

Whats the normal clearance?
Whats the clearance for sunroof roofrecks?

I used search the site and couldn't find my answer.
The only thing i found is this photo mentioned in the first post.

The picture says "normale Galerie-Höhe" 100-120mm.

Is the normal clearance 10cm / 3,94 inch?
Is the sunroof clearance 12cm / 4,72 inch?

Last edited by volkswouter on Wed May 13, 2020 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

I don't know the exact clearances but I did measure a couple of my roof rack leg lengths, if that helps.

All measurements are approximate.

Non-sunroof HWE 1/3 rack - Leg length = 253mm
Non-sunroof BeKoWa 2/3 rack - Leg length = 255mm
Sunroof BeKoWa 1/3 rack - Leg length = 285mm

30 extra mm of leg height for the sunroof rack.

I don't know the difference between a Bay Window rack and Split Bus rack other than Bay Window racks are even shorter.

My sunroof BeKoWa rack is on my 23-Window right now.
The clearance from the front center of the rack down to the sunroof cover is approximately 75mm
I think this would be a good clearance to use if you are modifying your rack.

This rack and Bus:

My non-Sunroof rack on my old '60 23-Window:

Clearance was too small, I had to push the cover down with my hand to get it to open
Sunroof closed on that '60 23-Window:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Evertt, are those measurement of the total leg length?
Or from rain gutter to horizontal rafter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Evertt, are those measurement of the total leg length?
Or from rain gutter to horizontal rafter?

Ha, I just thought about that and was going to post again.

It's from the bottom of the rack cross-bar to the bottom of the leg, the end of the "foot" that sits in the rain gutter.
So only the lower leg length. No part of the "basket"
If you want any photos with a ruler or want me to make a photo with annotations, let me know.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed May 13, 2020 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers, these will help enormous!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I don't know the difference between a Bay Window rack and Split Bus rack other than Bay Window racks are even shorter.....

Bay window buses have the same spacing for the rain gutters as splitties, so you can swap a roof rack from split to bay.
The bay has a flatter/ less domed roof than the split, so looks like the rack that touches the roof was in fact designed for a bay and not an older split bus.
Nice bus! I do like the look of how the rack follows the shape of the bus there.

I evidently have a sunroof bug rack on my bug. Several people have told me so, and suggested they get it from me. I like the clearance, as when I carry a bicycle on it it is easier for a pedal not to hit the roof.
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Clara, these photographs are from 2014. Since then the bus has been in restoration, converted to swivel seat and sunroof.

I also have a photo from the front.
Don't know the manufacturer of this rack.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I don't know the difference between a Bay Window rack and Split Bus rack other than Bay Window racks are even shorter.....

Bay window buses have the same spacing for the rain gutters as splitties, so you can swap a roof rack from split to bay.
The bay has a flatter/ less domed roof than the split, so looks like the rack that touches the roof was in fact designed for a bay and not an older split bus.
Nice bus! I do like the look of how the rack follows the shape of the bus there.

I evidently have a sunroof bug rack on my bug. Several people have told me so, and suggested they get it from me. I like the clearance, as when I carry a bicycle on it it is easier for a pedal not to hit the roof.

I wold love to see that rack on an early baywindow. It seems like the curve matches the split roof, but may be too much (no quite square enough) for a bay roof. Just curious.
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

I would love to see that rack on an early baywindow. It seems like the curve matches the split roof, but may be too much (no quite square enough) for a bay roof. Just curious.

Back in 2007 with it’s previous owner.

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

A repost but I never get tired of looking at these pictures. I believe this is a BekoWa sunroof roof rack. Might give you a better idea re: clearances. I can also confirm that a stock height HWE or BeKowa rack makes barely clears the sunroof mechanism when you are trying to slide it back after opening it fully.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus roof racks Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
A repost but I never get tired of looking at these pictures. I believe this is a BekoWa sunroof roof rack. Might give you a better idea re: clearances. I can also confirm that a stock height HWE or BeKowa rack makes barely clears the sunroof mechanism when you are trying to slide it back after opening it fully.

This photograph was the reason for me to weld in a sunroof.
Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 60

Jump to: