Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For $1000 you get a dolly with a surge brake ( Synchros need not apply)

Is my Syncro OK then?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

If you can strap the dolly and a tow vehicle under the van, then you're good as gold.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For $1000 you get a dolly with a surge brake ( Synchros need not apply)

Syncros can decouple - or unbolt the drive shaft.

If you have a $1000 dolly you just choose a reliable tow vehicle and tow the Vanagon roundtrip from your driveway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Could put a spare tire holder on the frontside (bottom)....and leave it “up” full time. Maybe a 2nd spare wheel.
Wouldn’t that be the dolled up Syncro?
errrr.... “an up-front statement of readyness.” ....if you will....cough cough.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Heres the seven rivnuts.

OK mostly done,,, just need a place to carry the center portion, and work out the safety chains, and the taillights.

With seven bolts.
Need countersunk bolts on the front side.

Towbar arms stowed, bolted to the Syncro skid bars with rivnuts.

The towbar & its mounting lugs weighs 25 lbs total.
Slight rub here,,, that Reese that DanfromSyr posted, the one that you can take apart to shorten etc, weighs "31 lbs" (AFAIK)
so I didn't save a lot on weight.
I thought I was gonna kill them on weight. I bet the Harbor Freight one is heavy...
But this one "fits" my van very well !
I hope it just remains bolted to the underside.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
If you have a $1000 dolly you just choose a reliable tow vehicle and tow the Vanagon roundtrip from your driveway.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Heres the seven rivnuts.

Oh..... Dude, it was all going SO WELL!!!!

Sure hope the best for you and those who travel near your towed rig.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Heres the seven rivnuts.

Oh..... Dude, it was all going SO WELL!!!!

Sure hope the best for you and those who travel near your towed rig.

Ooops sorry Wink correct description is “here’s seven of the 14 rivnuts.”
Bobby you think they’ll pull thru? But I will test one to confirm.

It would be ideal to test-tow the van on a rough road, with me in the drivers seat. Doesn’t have to be broken down for this test.

Also need to figure out where to attach the safety chains.
Which will add to the “25lbs.”
Its easy on the passenger side, (over the frame)
but not sure how to do it on the driver side cuz the window wash tank is there.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Ok this was a good observation Bobby.

I looked up the specs and an M8 rivnut is rated at 450 lbs pullout strength.
Its all on that little crimp ring. I wondered if there’s already a “safety factor” on that 450lbs rating.

So I rigged up a test device with steel same thickness as the vanagon bumper and pulled one thru myself.

Heres the gearboy scribbling.

This test rivnut withstood 2400lbs pullout. Then I increased my lever, and it pulled thru easily. So I don’t know what the real number was, but it did withstand 2400 lbs. By my test seven rivnuts is 2400 x 7 = 16,800lbs (33,600 for 14!). Hmmm

Check this out, the M8 rivnut joint put up quite the battle.
It held 2400 lbs. (pulled thru at some tension above 2400 lbs).

So that tells me there’s already a safety factor on the 450lb rating, so I can just “use” the 450lb rating. So 7 nuts holds 3150 lbs and 14 holds 6300 lbs per rated strength..
sorta...

I prefer a bigger “rated” number than 6300 lbs.
Im gonna fish a couple real nuts in there...... somehow.

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

OK now it's really "done".

Now with two M10 thru-bolts, with nut-plates.
Rivnuts are great, but not for towing.
Yes this is better.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes, better!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

As for what to put your chains on, of course, the standard tow loop would be good, but for some reason, VW didn't put TWO on... I think the best solution is to get yourself another stock (or stock-like) loop, and weld it in place.

Here is Brickwerks version, and I think Busdepot has these, but no pictures..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/towing-eye-t3-front.html

If so inclined, MORE than two chains can be used. So, get 3 for a total of 4 loops on your rig.. You're already in over-achiever land, so why not?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Wonder how that thing can know how hard to push on the pedal?
Seems like it would require feedback from a tow-hitch servo.
Pedal pressure required if engine is not running can be “substantial”.

Dan that was interesting. Most of them use inertial sensors, They detect deceleration of the tow vehicle and apply whatever brake pedal force it takes to increase the braking. They cost $1100 - $1500 and take a few hours to install.

Sizeable bucks. Why wouldn't it be possible to build a surge type tow bar with a master cylinder with quick connect couplings which could feed the towed vehicles brakes? With fiddling, the proper lever arm on the master could provide the right brakiing requirement. All mechanical and no electronic mechanism to fail.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

I, too, would be concerned with pullout, even as you have modified it. The leverage of the attachment points above the deformation piece concerns me also. Straight line pulling would be the best.
I have flat towed VW Type 2's and Vanagons all over the country, usually with fullsize American trucks or vans. Never had a problem.
There is a thread on here about making a tow bracket that goes through through the front deformation piece to terminate under the van using existing holes and 1/2 inch bolts from a reputable source, like Granger or Fastenall. I used this method, and modified it using shimmed through spacers and larger plates for spreading the load underneath the van(there are 2 large oval shaped holes in the deformation piece that go through to a larger hole underneath the van (one on either side near where the spare tire rails(rods) hook in) on the cross member. I made some angled pieces so I would not bend the sheet metal when I tightened it down, and large plates underneath where the big holes are, and sections of 3/4 pipe cut and shimmed with washers between the deformation piece and the inside of the crossmember. P. S., this system is used with the bumper removed. one could cut holes in the bumper to let the u brackets poke through, but I didn't. I hope I am describing this correctly, as I haven't the ability to take and post pictures.
Anyway, This has worked flawlessly as I have been transferring my vans from Southern Indiana to the Gulf coast. I believe RacerRojo came up with this concept, I just modified it. Straight pull, and I used a Reese non dissembleable towbar with my brackets. Use the towbar u brackest under the large bolts. drill and cotterpin the bolts so the nuts cannot back off, and although relying on just one big bolt per side concerns me, it is obviously how they do it with the Jeeps and all that the tow bar is always shown on in the promotional literature. Good safety chains, Some sort of lights(I haven't tried the magnetic lights, but around here, the tow companies even use some sort of magnetic lights.
As a side note, on my 1980 westy, the PO bolted the u mounts for the towbar onto just the deformation piece, but by cutting holes in the top with a torch(hidden when the bumper is on) to reach the nuts. I wouldn't do it that way, but he towed it several times across country as his job kept transferring him. It worked for him a lot, and it took the guesswork out of how much to shim the throughbolts that I had to do to get it where I wanted it. But I was still happier where I was transferring the load of pulling to.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
As for what to put your chains on, of course, the standard tow loop would be good, but for some reason, VW didn't put TWO on... I think the best solution is to get yourself another stock (or stock-like) loop, and weld it in place.

Here is Brickwerks version, and I think Busdepot has these, but no pictures..

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/towing-eye-t3-front.html

If so inclined, MORE than two chains can be used. So, get 3 for a total of 4 loops on your rig.. You're already in over-achiever land, so why not?

We have a second OEM towing eye fitted, like the one from Brickwerks above, and carry a recovery 'bridle' strap which has shackles for the two towing eyes, and a central towing hook.

We got the bridle strap made up especially for the van with longer 'legs' so that the angle between them when fitted is approx 30 degress, which helps keep the sideways strain on the towing eyes to a minimum when a towing force is applied.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

he's referring tho this thread with great details from Dave

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8059361

there is also a factory vanagon baseplate available for those w/o fab skills..
though Dave's post above doesn't require any fabrication either, but does require removing the bumper skin which the factory base doesn't

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Roadmaster/1208-1.html
Roadmaster Crossbar-Style Base Plate Kit - Fixed Arms
Item # 1208-1

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

more about the roadmaster brackets in these 2 threads

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4780390
insyncro wrote:
I purchased this many years ago from a Vanagon owner who towed his Syncro behind a Class A motorhome.
This unit is very well built and I use it for the same purpose.

Hope this helps anyone looking to tow a vanagon.

dylan

from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461071&postorder=desc

BillWYellowstone wrote:

Tow Bar, Blue Ox

Braking setup. Has compressor, uses inertia to activate, presses the brake pedal. Not shown hooked up, but switch on front of van with pull out pin attached viia cable to towing vehicle, switch activates braking to stop.

In position ready to go.

Unfortunately, it was at this point we discovered that the fuel pump in the motorhome went kaput. Enought to start and idle and move around, not enough to drive anywhere, so... as you can see, we got towed. 120 miles to a place that could fix it. 80 gallon, almost full tank had to be lowered. Part ordered, but they looked at it Tues AM, I drove away Weds 2:30PM.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

I flat towed my BMW 325ix rallycross car (also awd with a center viscous couple, similar to the Syncro set up) quite a lot last year. I did not need to uncouple/remove the front driveshaft or rear driveshaft or whatever. It was 100% fine. I towed several hundred miles at a time, if there was an issue with the fluid overheating and cooking the transfercase, believe I would have found out at turn 1 of the track. It was fine. I used a cheap $60 tow bar off Amazon because an e30 is 2900lbs and my tow vehicle is a 5000lb Ford Explorer.

My issues with the OP's tow bar set up:

1. It has no flex at the end, which is going to make hooking it up tricky. Everything has to line up perfect the first time, you can't get things close, connect it, pull on it to get it straight and tighten it down. With my e30 rallycross car, it was always a pain, I can't imagine trying to wrangle a Vanagon in place.

2. At 4000lbs-ish and very susceptible to cross winds, unless you're towing with a legit tow truck, like a F-250 Super Duty Dually, you really should consider tow brakes. They're expensive at around a grand, yes, but how easily can you replace your Vanagon? The black F-150 in the background might be cutting it really close.

3. I am hoping that bolt through the arms and the bracket is just for placement and an actual Safety Pin with wire snap and cotter pin will be used.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

My concern was with the design and intended use of the rivnuts. I'm not an engineer, but sometimes I see possible scenarios that may or may not exist. My thought is that rivnuts are good for things that generally don't get much jostling, and if they needed to spec for pull-out, and your test shows good-on-that there may be an additional concern for a work-wear-related scenario. I have to say I would be concerned that the sidewalls of the rivnuts, already being something that a tool was used to expand, could work-loosen with lateral forces and become wobbly in their holes. Anyway, the two additional fasteners you put in are helpful, but I still fear that the steel you have now put multiple holes into has become strength compromised. As a solution, I would suggest that you take at least two of those locations and use a steel pipe that goes all the way through to the bottom. Weld top and bottom, and grind flat. Here is a drawring I hope will come true. Then you can drop a nice hardened bolt through the whole housing. You could add another plate, similar to the one you have on top to the bottom, making the whole design you have into a C shape that surrounds the nose.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

If the bolts came loose the rivnuts could “work”. If it was tensioned the “wrong way” of course it would loosen the crimp.
But When you first tighten the bolt, it pulls the threaded portion down harder and the rivnut completely forgets about the crimp tool.

2400 lbs pullout x 14 bolts = 33,600 lbs. (sorta). Pretty sure I can count on something like 10,000 lbs from the rivnuts alone.

Then theres the four additional M10x25mm genuinely nutted bolts. Those four M10s are about the same as the four bolts used on the commercially available towbars. Except its bolting onto .090 sheet —- but spread over 18 locations.

If I was going to attach this to an RV and tow it indiscriminately (interstates) I’d do what you wrote. But this its just a stashable unit to get the van home if it breaks down. Driving slowly carefully, checking it often. Ive built a lot of stuff.

Bobby your drawing is good, I’d use that for a “recovery lug”. Its truly better for a straight forward pull. BTW Id like to see how those other lugs attach to a Vanagon. I bet you have to remove the windshield washer tank. (Which is pretty easy).

The real reason for strength here is to remain attached if you have to “react”. Like if it starts to side-swap. Then you’re onto a different set of rules. Breakaway into oncoming traffic? Or jacknife both vehicles (into oncoming traffic). Choose your poison. Best to never tow faster than 50 (45?) which means side roads; not FWY. Not making time, making your destination.

There’s some level of safety afforded by sensible and very seldom use. It would be great to pre-test it and have the towed-driver reef on it. I’ve done a bit of rope-towing and I like this better. I have a car trailer too, with brakes (capacity 5700lbs). Also I have a dump-trailer 9,000 lbs. I know what its like when the electric brakes aren’t working with 9,000 lbs. Shocked

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Building a towbar to carry on the Vanagon Reply with quote

That looks great, Sodo.

Great safety advocating by Bobby, and equal testing in reply. Engineering on the Samba! 👍🏼

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: