Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb Jets?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

I just moved my THING from Denver Co to Kansas City. I am thinking I need to change the jetting on my carb? Any Suggestions on what I should change to? I am at roughly 1000 ft in elevation coming from 5280 ft.

Carb is a stock Solex 34 PIC-3, stock 1600cc, with a 009 dizzy (yes I know I should have the SVDA).

Drive ability is OK at this altitude, it still has a little bit of a flat spot in it. As if the accelerator pump isn't squirting correctly. But the more I have driven it the better it has gotten. Car has sat for the past year or so with very little driving.

Car seems to be running a tad hot, thus that's why I think it is running lean.

Suggestions where to start? Where do I buy main jets these days?
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

@Chas223 - contact Tim/Volkzbitz - he's great.
https://www.volkzbitz.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VolkzBitz.USA/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

@Chas - And also, regarding your 009 vs SVDA, the correct carb is dictated by your carb base flange code. there are a lot of different 34pict3s. I have 5 different and they don't use the same distributor. Some run like garbage until you put them with the right DVDA distro and then it's heaven on earth. 800-850 idle and no hesitation on take-off.

Here's the base flange code on one of mine (377-1), for example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are a lot of topics and charts for figuring out which distributor was supposed to work with your carb. Once you get the flange number, look it up here by searching or ask here again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help I didn't know a thing about that carb number!
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

Ok Here is what I have

VW 427

So what is the correct Distributor that should go with this carb?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

043905205 DVDA
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

You need to get a stock Distributor. 009 timing curve does not correspond to the stock engine /carb timing requirements.
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

Nitramrebrab72 wrote:
You need to get a stock Distributor. 009 timing curve does not correspond to the stock engine /carb timing requirements.

Correct. I believe I have the correct dizzy. Probably needs to be rebuilt.

Thank you for the help.
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

The distributor I have (I believe it is original to the car is 113905205)
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

Chas223 wrote:
The distributor I have (I believe it is original to the car is 113905205)

What is the correct carb that should go with this?
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb Jets? Reply with quote

That distributor is for a 66-67 bus. Are you sure there are no letters after the number like maybe AN?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: