Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oliver Siclair, car detailer for Uno Momento.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The seat bases are an amazing piece of design. They are from an early two door Range Rover.

When the lever is released the seats angle forward and down. It means the seats don't hit the roof.

Rubbing them down was a nightmare and took about a day each to get into the small areas.

These are now in the first hit of paint by me, then flatted and Alan Wootton will give them the final paint in his booth this week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

UNDER HOOD MODIFICATIONS

I decided to remove the front hood spring. It will give a cleaner look on the inside of the hood.

Drilling out the spot welds was a nightmare, it seemed to take forever even with a new spot weld drill bit.

I was going to use short 4" gas struts but Gareth Wootton won't let me. He will fabricate an arm, then make a bracket to hold it and weld it in......any excuse to get his MIG out !
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

FLOOR PAN 90% DONE

Oliver has detailed the floorpan , and ceramic coated it. It means the dust won't stick. The main body though will not be ceramic coated because the shine is just a little bit dulled by the process.

The 'Wide Ovals' are the new ones which are radials but look the same as the bias belt tyres.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I know you don't like answering questions, but why do you have the IRS engine hanger bar, since you've got a swing axle set up?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I had a setup with the hanger, a pair of the matching body mounts, and the rubber mountings so it seemed an upgrade.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Original EMPI hood to take a tachometer.

Having made a template, I carefully cut out the hole for the tach pod. The edge was first 'stepped' and sixteen 4mm holes stamped out. Then the edge was painted with 'weld through' primer.

Gareth from Wootton Motors then welded the pod onto place.

Here the pod is shown on the inside of the hood welded in.

Thiese shots show the tach inserted into the pod. The tach is a nos EMPI dated 1971 I collected from a swop meet 15 years ago!
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Because we decided to paint the floor and have no carpet it has meant a rethink on the interior.

The sills (rockers) were 100% but they have air vents stamped into them.

We decided to skin the inners with thin steel plate.

Gareth from Wootton motors insisted detailed welding so nothing moves or cracks after paint. The picture shows the set out of the holes and him plug welding.

Today I spent hours grinding them flat ! Thanks Gaz
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

We decided to weld up some of the factory holes in the front inside to clean up the look.

I made some card templates then cut out the steel with snips.

Gareth Wootton then welded them in place using a telescopic magnet.

I've worked with lots of guys over my lifetime on cars but he is Mr. Metal.

Gareth from Wootton Motors.....perfectionist in metal.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I decided to put the air ride controls in the glovebox. The setup is simple with just a control switch for each of the front shocks, and a pressure gauge.

The first work was to make it from card, then open out the template and mark it on steel.

I cut it out with the brake and snips then Gareth bent it and welded the edges.

The edges were filed then filled with a thin skim of two pack filler. Sanding out the four internal corners was a nightmare, the best result was to use foam backed sanding pads.

The gauge fitting was made from a short piece of tube.

The next step will be to paint it red to match the floor pan when the booth is free.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I decided to put the air ride controls in the glovebox. The setup is simple with just a control switch for each of the front shocks, and a pressure gauge.

The first work was to make it from card, then open out the template and mark it on steel.

I cut it out with the brake and snips then Gareth bent it and welded the edges.

The edges were filed then filled with a thin skim of two pack filler. Sanding out the four internal corners was a nightmare, the best result was to use foam backed sanding pads.

The gauge fitting was made from a short piece of tube.

The next step will be to paint it red to match the floor pan when the booth is free.

MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

For me the main thing is paint ! (well metalwork and paint) It''s the very basic of what early Cal was about. After hours and hours of thought we decided to run with no rear seat which allows more paint to be shown. That created two problems. The first is that there are two areas to fill in on either side of where the seat would go and secondly it generates a mind blowing amount of filling and sanding when I feel I can take no more.

The two shots show the flat side panel we designed and the second one shows the cut out in the drivers side sill (rocker) for the wiring loom. Anyway a day with the cardboard templates, tin snips and the panel hammer we are ready to weld tomorrow. Nite
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

This Build has been amazing so far!
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The photo shows the fabrication I made for the inner rear wing area.welded in place. The fabrication seals off the recess but would allow the rear seat to be fitted if needed.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The reason for my layoff was that my husky, Prince, damaged his cruciate ligament so we were holed up at my Barn while he recovered.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The only hole on the body was in the rear corner of the roof.

I ground out the area and Gareth, from Wootton Motors sealed the area with lead.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I have finished the side areas inside the rear area where the rear seat would have gone.
The car will have a 'seat delete' to show the rear area fully painted.

Cards will be upholstered to fit into the recess which goes around 3 sides, and a tab welded to the rear wheel well on the inside of the car.

MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

To hide the air lines to the front shocks we routed them through the side tank supports.
The problem was there is a small vertical part we had to remove. The pipes were then routed through, pushed to the bottom to prevent melting when welding the horizontal cut outs back in.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Here the area was filled, sanded smooth and blown in with primer.

This is the hole cut for the air line hose to exit out of the inner wing and fit onto the air shock.

The same is on the other inner wing.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Today I spent hours setting up the front bumper. The overriders are the ones I bought 30 years ago from Paul at Type 3 Detectives in Cambridge England.

I've waxed and stored them and finally.....finally.... they have seen the light of day !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: