Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

Hello again friends. I'm having a new(ish) issue with my engine. I've had this issue before, but can't find the thread for it. It has to do with the Turbo Intake Elbow:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had this issue while driving on the Autobahn last year, the rubber got so hot, that it collapsed under the vacuum Shocked
I was driving up a hill, full throttle, and it just didn't want to move. When I looked in the mirror, I could see plumes of black smoke billowing out (think ~20% of rolling coal). My solution at the time was to epoxy some steel box stock into the elbow, to hold it from collapsing completely. That worked great, until last month when I was giving the van a pre-holiday inspection (also replacing the intake and exhaust gaskets and bolts).
Upon inspection of the elbow, I found that the epoxy didn't hold, and the box stock was laying loose in there....
So, I welded it into a 'T' shape, and drilled a bunch of holes in it for air flow, and stuck it back in there.
I had thought that was the end of it.
Here I am, in Italy (very hot and clear, and yes, I have a sunburn, thanks for asking!), and the problem has returned.
Through trial and error, it happens when the engine is hot (10-15 minutes on the highway), and then only in top gear, at full throttle (again). As it is, I can only drive 100-105kph. Speed limit is 130, the van is capable of 125.
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a solution for this other than this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've written to Brickwerks to see if this would fit my application, but at £125, I'd like to look around before I pull the trigger.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!

Last edited by Team WorldTour on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

Check your snorkel tubing up the pillar. I had a similar issue with low power and excessive smoking due to a collapsed snorkel.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, mate. I haven't inspected that bit in two years, not since I replaced the old powdery foam hose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

Ok, update and maybe an end to this thread (at least until I get back to Germany!).
We've made it to Venice, and I took the snorkel hose out. I could see the crease in it where it had collapsed. The inside mesh was rusted out and in bad shape. I opened my air cleaner, and brushed out the rust dust I found in there.
Unfortunately, the air hose didn't want to come out, and as a result, is now in three (unusable) pieces on the ground.
Since I'm not planning any water crossings on the way home, I think it will be alright to drive. I'll just have to find a solution later.....

Thanks again for your help, Samba.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

Ok, as promised, here is a write-up of our return trip.
As stated, I removed the oval snorkel hose from the D pillar. I could see that this had a bend in it, and the metal mesh inside was rusted and soft.
This did not change anything at all.
What did change came with ambient air temps. As we drove up into the Alps, the air temp dropped a bit and I could get a little more on the gas before the smoke came.
When driving at low speeds, like up hills, I could stand on the gas and not get the black smoke. However, out on flat land, I could accelerate to about 80% of the gears given top speed before it started to smoke again. So, logically, it is the engines speed, not the fuel given.
With no other information, I'm leaning towards the elbow softening in the heat and collapsing.
I've now got, on hand, the Brickwerks air intake pipes, both upper and lower.
But I'm wondering if there is also a vacuum hose I should inspect/ replace as well?
Anybody?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

I`ve never seen one of these elbows going so soft to collapse Shocked

I ran some bad frankenstein set ups, no intercooler and what not back in the days, never had that happen.
Is your exhaust homemade? heat radiating to it? Was the elbow a VW piece?

No vacuum to check related to it, just make sure your cranckcase breather system is all good Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

How old is your air cleaner element?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ/ JX Intake Solution Needed! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
How old is your air cleaner element?

One year, with a compressed air cleaning 6 months ago.
Scheduled maintenance is on the 20th. Tire rotation, oils and filters changed.
I will also be swapping out the intake piping with the Brickwerks parts at this time as well.

As far as this piece collapsing, I find it strange as well. However, I think my individual part is somehow faulty. You can see on the turbo end, an indentation that matches the outlet on other side. This happened once before, on a particularly hot day. It was on the Autobahn, and the symptoms were the same. I did a thorough inspection at the time, and this was the only theory I could not reason or test away.
I'm replacing the part, and I hope the problem goes away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: