Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any tips on doing the hvx mod?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Thanks for the source on the drill bits!!!
People will appreciate that.
It’s not for the faint of heart though. You can really screw up your case if you don’t know what you are doing.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

You know, it didn't even cross my mind earlier, but I've even purchased extended length bits at Home Depot (about a foot long). The price will be better than McMaster...but I'll tell you from experience, it won't be as good as the cheapest bit at McMaster-Carr. On the other hand, you won't be needing it to last all that long, so it's a budget-friendly option.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Well today after work I decided to tap the last hole in the case for the oil pump. I held out on it because of the angle in which the hole had to be tapped.
So, since I have been rather successful with my previous tasks, I decided to tackle it.
Here’s the hole before tapping:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then used a 13mm gearwrench and slowly cut the case with stabil fogging oil and the 1/4” npt tap following the same angle as the oil passage.

I screwed the 1/4” plug in to make sure I could clear the lip and not have any issues with the oil pump fitting later on.

And finally I deburred the hole to make sure it was totally flush.

Making progress! My next big step would be figuring out what to do since I pulled the “restrictor plug” from the case.
John @ Aircooled.net suggested tapping the block with a regular tap but tap the #4 bearing hole with a plug with a restricted hole drilled in the middle. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

why do you want to attempt effing up that aera tapping it&threading it, just put a knock in gally plug in it. fast effective and almost moron proof. same go's for the oil pumpkenhusen.
and when you do tap&plus the case use a brass plug!!!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Moron-proof, Tucker?

That case needs a serious bath! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

yes I think even you and rock krushier can use them without fail Shocked just messen with you, you know who Im refering to.Rolling Eyes Dancing there everywhere!!!!
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

Last I heard, rock crusher might be getting something else knocked in tight holes.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
why do you want to attempt effing up that aera tapping it&threading it, just put a knock in gally plug in it. fast effective and almost moron proof. same go's for the oil pumpkenhusen.

I’ve read the debates over aluminum, steel, brass many many times...
The metallurgy of aluminum is closest to the mag case, but once the plug is in it isn’t coming out....
I bought all aluminum plugs and decided against it.
I’ve now purchased all steel plugs feeling that I have made the right decision.
And I’m told now that brass would be the better alternative.
Being new there are a dozen different ways to do the same thing. Everyone will tell you how to do it....
But they’ve never done it themselves.
Tucker, your run-on sentences and misspellings drive me crazy! BUT you know your stuff man so I can’t bust your ballz. Haha! Is it that difficult to butcher up the plugged hole? The reason I plugged the hole (even though the cb pimp doesn’t have an outlet hole) is for low pressure at idle for low oil flow. Isn’t this recommended? I appreciate the advice man.
Yeah, the case is filthy-but I may as well get all of the machining done before I get it all purdy and mess it back up again, right?
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Hey Mark, you gotta source for the knock in plugs ?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

KROC wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Dorman sells singles, I think I've always found them at NAPA. Don't remember but think it's a 5/8 plug that fits. I'll use them, or tap it for a threaded plug, whatever I have on hand.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

So we yank out all the plugs in a vw case in favor of thread in plugs, but put knock in plugs in a oil galley? 95.2% of marks advice is pretty cool but I pass on the knock in plugs. The case and oil pump holes that need to be plugged dont even need to be drilled in order to be tapped. As long as you start the tap straight it taps threads beautifully and perfect.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
KROC wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Dorman sells singles, I think I've always found them at NAPA. Don't remember but think it's a 5/8 plug that fits. I'll use them, or tap it for a threaded plug, whatever I have on hand.

7/16 plug fit.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any tips on doing the hvx mod? Reply with quote

To be honest, the plug won’t come out because the oil pump body would be holding it in anyway. I tapped it-too late.
Next issue is this oil restrictor, filter, plug thing!! Pictures below...
Suggestions on this? [email protected] suggested plugging the journal and drilling a very small hole in the plug to restrict the oil but still allow it to pass through to lubricate.
Plug:

Tapped:

The #4 journal hole:

Old pictures: what I started with:

Por15 the chassis:

Rotisserie time!

Epoxy primer time:

Final primer time:

Final paint done!!!!!!

Airbag prep:

Air strut front end:

Getting it running...before realizing a motor tear down was in order😡

Getting there-slowly...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: