Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

I'm a little sick to my stomach at the moment. We just started a 3 month road trip, but today I might have broken our Eurovan.

Went to do an errand, and there was a railroad crossing. I couldn't have been going very fast since my destination was right there, I'm guessing only 20-25 mph, give or take.

Something about the spacing of the rail bumps and my speed caused some kind of synchronization of my springs, and I ended up in a brutal front to back seesaw for a few bounces. I'm pretty sure the suspension was hitting the stops and my wheels were airborne. Totally caught me off guard and shook everything bad - luggage all over the place inside.

Not sure what could have all been damaged, but I do now get my steering jammed whenever I make a right hand turn. It will come back if I stop and move forward and backward a bit while applying pressure to the left - with an audible clunk as it releases. I just limped the couple of blocks back to our campsite, and now I sit here unsure what to do.

All the mechanics in the area are booking next week, but more generally, I'm feeling a bit sick about the rest of our planned trip. Could I have damaged it so badly that we will forever now be having problems?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

Best to just get your flashlight and look underneath. Do your wheels appear to be aligned still. Maybe you bent a steering arm. You could turn your wheels to the right where it gets stuck and look underneath to see if something is hanging up on something else.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

It’s fixable but not safe to drive at moment

You probably bent a control run and blew out the strut too.

New parts and she’ll be like new
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

If possible, take pics and post them here for us to help you diagnose.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

These T4s are super stout. You've likely done some damage to a consumable part, not the chassis itself.
garthg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s fixable but not safe to drive at moment

You probably bent a control run and blew out the strut too.

New parts and she’ll be like new

There's no strut. It's a double control arm with upper and lower ball joints, torsion bar on the upper control arm, and separate shock absorber with its own upper mount.

I think the OP probably broke a ball joint. I think this would be especially likely if the ball joints were original to the car and worn. The control arms are forged steel and I think they would bend before breaking.

OP will need to jack up the car and get weight off the front wheels to properly diagnose.
thallihan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

Sounds like you blew one or more shocks heading over tracks too fast. Or you simple broke the shocks mounting point from the control arm.

A normal-working shock will go through 1-3 cycles before settling the vehicle...if the compression and rebound are not working then your springs are free to do whatever they want without any control.

As far as the steering...like others have said, you may have damaged the ball joint on the tie rod end, causing binding when steering.
Kombinut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

First thing to do is to inspect underneath, if possible start the engine, leave it in park with E brake pulled tight, and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look under to see if you can identify the problem. You may get lucky at identify a bent or broken part just by a simple inspection. If no luck with that, then find the nearest jiffy lube, Monroe or quick oil change service that does brakes and shock replacement. Explain what happen and have them put your van on the rack and look take a look for you. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredikium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tell me what I broke ... bouncing Eurovan Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies and thoughts!

To close the loop on this, I had it in to a shop in Salt Lake City (Integrity First Auto). They put it on a lift, inspected everything, couldn't see any problems. I went down and drove around with the tech for a long time and we couldn't recreate the jamming symptom. With fingers crossed and a prayer said, we decided to continue on our journey. Almost 1,000 miles later, the issue has not returned. New stuff going on though, which I'll create a new thread for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: