Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Anyone fitting a Mk3 TDI engine with A/C has probably noticed that the filler tube interferes with the compressor. I recently modified a stock filler tube (still available new) in order to tweak the angles a bit and alleviate the interference.

This mod was done on a van that is using the later mounting bars so the engine is more rearward than the '82 bars.

This is where the stock filler tube was sourced:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/oil-fill-tube-syncro-t3-2wd-and-td-correspond-to-068115304b

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I purchased a 1' section of 1-1/4 OD x 1.124 ID steel tube from Speedy Metals.

I made the appropriate cuts and welded a section of the steel tube over the filler tube at the appropriate angle/location.

It fits very nicely around the A/C compressor, power steering pump and right side carrier bar. At its tightest points i can still fit my finger between the tube and its nearest neighbors. Access from the license plate door is excellent.

Someone could probably do it without the sleeve of steel tubing and just cutting and butt welding the tube but I figure it was worth the $ to make it easy on myself.

When welding I wrapped a wet towel around the metal tube where it enters the plastic extension to prevent it from getting too hot.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

This is great Andy!

I have the same set up ass you but on Syncro, that seems rather easy to do, and I have the filler tube already Razz
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Thanks, I need to do that before my engine gets old and starts using oil. Did you imply that the tube is long enough to cut and reassemble or did you add that sleeve as an extension? I have one of those but to hold it in place it doesn’t fit. Is that because my AAZ wasn’t made for the Vanagon, but the tube is for a JX with P/S pump?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Thanks, I need to do that before my engine gets old and starts using oil. Did you imply that the tube is long enough to cut and reassemble or did you add that sleeve as an extension? I have one of those but to hold it in place it doesn’t fit. Is that because my AAZ wasn’t made for the Vanagon, but the tube is for a JX with P/S pump?

If you have a V-belt set up it will fit plug and play, if you have the AAZ set up, I`m not sure of that....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Thanks Alika, I imagine the mod would be similar on a syncro but with the engine lower relative to the license plate door you might have to tweak the angle a little differently.

Gnarlie, there are several different version of diesel filler tubes. That tube was a later design than the stock '83 tube and will accommodate engines with or without power steering. If you do not have A/C, then the filler tube should fit on an AAZ without modification. If you do have A/C, then the tube interferes with the compressor. The sleeve is not needed for additional length but rather to change the angles slightly. I actually shortened the tube a bit.

Here's a pic side by side with an unmodified tube of the same design.

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

I'm SO glad I paid the $$ for the aluminum straight tube! I have an AAZ, and of all the problems I have/ had, this is not one of them!
I hope these work for you.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I'm SO glad I paid the $$ for the aluminum straight tube! I have an AAZ, and of all the problems I have/ had, this is not one of them!

I, on the other hand, wish I had this, and may some day figure out how to make it happen.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
I hope these work for you.

None of the other tubes will work unmodified in my application due to having A/C and P/S.

Considering the straight tube works for you, you must not have A/C, P/S. In that situation, the unmodified tube I linked is a direct bolt-on without any modification needed for considerably less $ than the aluminum straight version that was offered (<1/3?).

Paulbeard wrote:
I, on the other hand, wish I had this, and may some day figure out how to make it happen.

I believe that for your application, no modification would be necessary either. All you would need to do is order the part, drain the oil, bolt it on. Nothing to it but to do it.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I believe that for your application, no modification would be necessary either. All you would need to do is order the part, drain the oil, bolt it on. Nothing to it but to do it.

🧐 How many times have I looked at that…fitting without knowing what it was?

I wonder how clearance is through here?

EDIT: just ordered the parts. I have a feeling it will be as predicted, a simple bolt-on operation.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

I have AAZ with the (larger) Jetta power steering pump and have not found a tube that fits. If anyone has any suggestions...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

The stock unmodified tube that I have linked above fits fine around the stock Mk3 Jetta AAZ power steering pump. The interference is with the A/C compressor. If you do not have A/C then the stock unmodified filler tube I have linked above should fit fine. If you doubt that, then I can remove the compressor and bolt it up and take a picture tomorrow. If there is further question about it, then post a couple pics of your engine and accessories so I can see what the issue is.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

I have an A/C compressor I don't use so if it came down to it, I could take off the belt. I'll know more when it all arrives and I can check fitment. If there are measurements I can provide, I can do that.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I have an A/C compressor I don't use so if it came down to it, I could take off the belt. I'll know more when it all arrives and I can check fitment. If there are measurements I can provide, I can do that.

I think that the fact that the gasser does not have an injection pump allows additional room and even with the A/C compressor fitted, I don't think it will interfere. Maybe post a pic of your engine from above.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

This is the tube I bought thinking it would fit:

Probably not what you want to see but a bottom shot of my engine, its pretty tight in there:

I figured to make it bolt on I would need to remove the muffler and carrier bar and possibly the reservoir. I thought I should be ready to reposition my muffler. What’s your opinion and thanks for the advice Andrew. This has been on my to-do list for a year.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

It's a bit hard to tell from the pic but you probably don't need to remove anything other than the plate that is currently blocking the hole in the pan (and the oil first, of course). If you look at the initial pics I posted you can get a good idea of the routing of the tube but from what I can see it looks like the muffler is well below where the tube goes.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

These pictures (in all manner of orientation) are from my ABA with P/S and A/C. I think the compressor is far enough to the drivers side (behind the overflow tank) to be a non-issue.

The tube and associated parts are ordered so I guess I'll find out soon enough if this will work.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

My concern on your setup would be interference with the alternator. It appears to be a custom bracket so I'm unsure. Please report back when you know.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
My concern on your setup would be interference with the alternator. It appears to be a custom bracket so I'm unsure. Please report back when you know.

Will do. The pictures are not that helpful, sorry.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I have AAZ with the (larger) Jetta power steering pump and have not found a tube that fits. If anyone has any suggestions...

Gnarlie, today while I was doing other things on the install I'm working on, just to confirm, I took the time to pull the A/C compressor off and swapped to the unmodified tube that is the same as the one you show. It fits around the Mk3 Jetta power steering pump with lots of room to spare all around.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Filler Tube Mod for A/C P/S Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
It fits around the Mk3 Jetta power steering pump with lots of room to spare all around.
Thanks Andrew. It may be that I need to remove stuff just to get it in position, and will probably have to relocate my reservoir.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: