Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello,
The dollar store is your friend....... They come in all sizes.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ha! Yes, very good point.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's a icebox for a 70 bay going for these days?

Solid cabinet, decent laminate, with side cabinet.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
What's a icebox for a 70 bay going for these days?

Solid cabinet, decent laminate, with side cabinet

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JK, but I'd budget around $300+ shipping for all the features you are considering.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
fred g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Do you know where 'The List' is?
I searched but couldn't find the list of things I should address while the engine is out of my bus.

#1 is overhaul the gas tank
#2 is paint the engine compartment, exhaust system and tin

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." H.S Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

fred g wrote:
Do you know where 'The List' is?
I searched but couldn't find the list of things I should address while the engine is out of my bus.

#1 is overhaul the gas tank
#2 is paint the engine compartment, exhaust system and tin

I'd start with the FAQ's at the top of the bay forum page. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

next item on my

1971 tin top westy basketcase, where do these go??

2 white plastic strips both about 4" long

also I found a "rear seat strap holder"inside the boxes, at least that what it looks like online.
it is small metal, little over an 1" , mounts with one post and one bolt and nut, has hook on end.
found it on beetles but did it go on a bus as well??

thanks again!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright guys, need some advice and direction.

I am panning the internet looking for new/replacement coating (loom) for the wiring inside the engine compartment in the 68 doka.
The original is there, but it’s stiff, cracked all over the place, covered in shitty respray paint, and just looks tired. The wiring itself is nice, I’m just trying to source some durable, somewhat factory black covering for it all.
Suggestions?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I am panning the internet looking for new/replacement coating (loom) for the wiring inside the engine compartment in the 68 doka.
The original is there, but it’s stiff, cracked all over the place, covered in shitty respray paint, and just looks tired. The wiring itself is nice, I’m just trying to source some durable, somewhat factory black covering for it all.
Suggestions?

Looking for the same, need a nice looking heat/weather resistant wire covering for when we do our rewire.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I've spent the morning trying to solve this problem and I'm at a point where being at home with the Bentley and the bus would be much better than just searching and searching...so I'm going to get some input here to tide me over.

71 Westy...one of my rear drums has a stripped stud (and yes, I realize the studs are not attached to the drum, I just don't know a better way to say it).

I'm planning on buying a new stud and either doing the replacement myself or having a shop do it. But I can't figure out what exactly I need to buy. And I'd love some input on how easy/difficult replacing a stud is.

Much thanks in advance.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
So I've spent the morning trying to solve this problem and I'm at a point where being at home with the Bentley and the bus would be much better than just searching and searching...so I'm going to get some input here to tide me over.

71 Westy...one of my rear drums has a stripped stud (and yes, I realize the studs are not attached to the drum, I just don't know a better way to say it).

I'm planning on buying a new stud and either doing the replacement myself or having a shop do it. But I can't figure out what exactly I need to buy. And I'd love some input on how easy/difficult replacing a stud is.

Much thanks in advance.

Well, I figured out it's the rear hub that I should be searching. And what I see in the classifieds...are they pressed in? The backs of these hubs, they don't look like they accept a socket and you can replace one...

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello,
It's easy, with the right tools.
You remove the hub that the stud is pressed into. Drive/press out the stripped stud and press a new one in. Done...
Getto way: You have a BAH(big ass hammer) correct to drive it out with. And you have a good lug nut to reverse press it in(pull it through), you do need a spacer(or stacked washers between the hub and lug nut when pulling the stud through. Done
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Hello,
It's easy, with the right tools.
You remove the hub that the stud is pressed into. Drive/press out the stripped stud and press a new one in. Done...
Getto way: You have a BAH(big ass hammer) correct to drive it out with. And you have a good lug nut to reverse press it in(pull it through), you do need a spacer(or stacked washers between the hub and lug nut when pulling the stud through. Done

Okay, so they are pressed...now...I need to see if anyone sells new ones. Thank you!

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Suggestions?

Will any of these do the trick...?

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/cloth-wire-loom?ul_ref=ht...96ffe1ef51

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Suggestions?

Looking for the same, need a nice looking heat/weather resistant wire covering for when we do our rewire.

www.vintageconnections.com

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
McintoshType2 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Suggestions?

www.vintageconnections.com

You the man, thanks BD!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On another note, here's todays question.
I bought an ignition, with lock cylinder and housing from a Samba member.
Really nice shape. I also have the correct electrical portion (switch) for the ignition.
I'm thinking, hell yeah this is going to be nice!
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

I'm missing something, and am lacking the terminology. Any insight gents?

There is a piece that goes between the lock cylinder and the electrical switch portion that activates the electrical section when the key is inserted and turned over, what is it?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There should be a tab sticking out, I don't know how it's mounted or what it's attached to. Fiche kinda shows it:

This vid has a small segment too:

Link

Give one, get one, right?

Do D-Jet and L-Jet use the same noid lights?
Thanks,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi All. Just got the engine out of my 77 Bus to replace what I think is a bad main seal. The fluid was leaking out of the starter where it connects to the bell housing. It ‘seemed’ to be oil, as it didn’t have a smell like trans fluid. The thing that’s leaving me second guessing this is that it’s the input shaft that is quite wet, while the whole flywheel assembly seems dry (haven’t pulled it off yet to truly check the seal). On first glance, does this look like an input shaft seal leak?

They call my home the land of snow.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What does the back side of the flywheel look like? (case side).

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 412 of 515

Jump to: