Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Attended several grad parties this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Attended several grad parties this weekend Reply with quote

Beware... stereotypical Canadian response coming...

Isn't this easily solved by redistributing a portion of your military spending? 50% of your federal spending is military-related. Imagine if even a small portion were redirected to education and/or healthcare.

It always surprises me to see all of the pockets of military installations, be they bases or just the local (what I would call) armoury, etc. I can't help but think that military spending is an extremely inefficient form of social welfare.

We have similar debates here too, though. Costs of tuition, the burden of student loans, the need for more trades, the cost of healthcare and the greying population. Fun times.

Anyone looked in to Scandinavian models of healthcare and education? Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark all have free tuition programs for citizens of the EU. Great healthcare and social welfare programs. A lot we could all learn from them.

Oh, and your NCAA pro leagues? Ey carumba! One can only hope that TV and licensing deals provide campuses with a net positive return. No comment on the student athlete benefit of that equation.

I imagine there are some good looking Vdubs out and about for great grad photos!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Attended several grad parties this weekend Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:

Isn't this easily solved by redistributing a portion of your military spending? 50% of your federal spending is military-related. Imagine if even a small portion were redirected to education and/or healthcare.

Yup, we should close down all those bases in foreign countries, let them fend for themselves, quit funding the UN, quit giving friendship payments to all the countries with their hands out, deport ALL of the illegals, bring all of our troops back & post them at the borders & use our GDP to pay off the national debt.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Attended several grad parties this weekend Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Beware... stereotypical Canadian response coming...

It always surprises me to see all of the pockets of military installations, be they bases or just the local (what I would call) armoury, etc. I can't help but think that military spending is an extremely inefficient form of social welfare.

We have similar debates here too, though. Costs of tuition, the burden of student loans, the need for more trades, the cost of healthcare and the greying population. Fun times.

Anyone looked in to Scandinavian models of healthcare and education? Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark all have free tuition programs for citizens of the EU. Great healthcare and social welfare programs. A lot we could all learn from them.

Oh, and your NCAA pro leagues? Ey carumba! One can only hope that TV and licensing deals provide campuses with a net positive return. No comment on the student athlete benefit of that equation.

I imagine there are some good looking Vdubs out and about for great grad photos!

Spot on look no closer than Eisenhower’s farewell address where he explains the military industrial complex which really came into being after WW2. You want a coherent summary watch the documentary entitled “Why We Fight” not the original which is propaganda but 2005 version. It won a few awards and was well received.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: